Sponsored by:

Southern California wildfires

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 02:04 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy Southern California wildfires

Once again, we have to pay the price for our great climate with horrible brush fires... probably set by arsonists. Here in Moorpark, we are about 3 miles from the nearest blaze, but the Santa Ana winds are picking up, so its a mite scary. Its very warm tonight... close to 80 degrees. There is ash everywhere, and the very strong acrid odor of dense smoke.

I flip on the news, hoping to see where the fires are at this moment, but there's only those idiotic interviews with frightened residents, babbling on and on. All I want to see is a damn map showing where the various fires are. Is that asking too much?

I hope my friends on this board are weathering the fires OK, and suffer no great losses. All my best.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:25 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy got ash.

the ash is a mess... just detailed my fathers white ML500 for him on thurs. & he already got hit w/ ash in glendale... needs to whip out the duster.
& i can't put the top down... kinda reminds me of what??? a year & a half ago? the santa ana winds really kick the ash up.
---- hope this ends soon.... pray for rain?

was it true this was started deliberately?

hope they catch the sob if it was.

a "good on ya" for those near the hotspots!

rich
Old 10-26-2003, 09:38 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

ive been looking for a map too. there are alot of great people from here on rennlist, and on the 912 registry, who ive been worried about

the had a tech session today in so cal for the 912 registry, and these were the pics they had posted.

notice the ash, infront of the garage

also notice the orange haze in the sky

hope it rains like hell soon, and this one is stopped dead in its tracks!
hang in there guys.

Harry
Old 10-26-2003, 02:20 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WARNING: RANT AHEAD.

Steve, I share your concern and your frustration. I went out late yesterday afternoon and was shocked to see the sky in your direction. All the news teasers on Fox (during the WS) were showing people fleeing from their home but nothing about where. Just more local news media BS - more hype than substance, even when there is real substance to report. I HATE LOCAL NEWS. The tease, in an effort to get viewers, is their #1 concern, regardless of the state of emergency that happens to exist. The drama in the tease about "Fires" or "Storm Watch" is always more important than the actual storm or fire path. They have completely lost their perspective of their role in communicating important information during a real crisis.

I had the opportunity to witness the local reporting of the wildfires in both Montana and Canada this past summer. Totally responsible reporting, no extra drama - just the facts. Useful and refreshing. Wish we had more of that here.

END OF RANT

My sincere best wishes to those in the path and surrounding areas.

Fred
Old 10-26-2003, 02:24 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: got ash.

Originally posted by 24FPS
the ash is a mess... just detailed my fathers white ML500 for him on thurs. & he already got hit w/ ash in glendale... needs to whip out the duster.
& i can't put the top down... kinda reminds me of what??? a year & a half ago? the santa ana winds really kick the ash up.
---- hope this ends soon.... pray for rain?

was it true this was started deliberately?

hope they catch the sob if it was.

a "good on ya" for those near the hotspots!

rich
I'm sorry if I do not have sympathy for your father's ML500 covered with ash or your inability to drive topless when hundreds, if not thousands of people are losing everything but the clothes they are wearing. Self centered is not always a good thing.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:30 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Re: got ash.

Originally posted by adsc4s
I'm sorry if I do not have sympathy for your father's ML500 covered with ash or your inabilityto drive topless when hundreds, if not thousands of people are losing everything but the clothes they are wearing. Self centered is not always a good thing.
Yesterday while opening the garage door and seing our cars and house covered with ash, I was thinking how the heck am I gonna clean up this mess. Then I thought to myself, wait a minute, what about those people who have lost their homes? My prayers are with those who have suffered.

While ash covered cars are a pain to deal with, I am more concerned with all those people losing and potentially losing all they have worked for. I cant imagine what we would do in the event of wildfires even closer that they are at the moment.

Let hope for a good rain and some justice to those who set these fires!
Old 10-26-2003, 05:28 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rain? Cmon... we don't have any rain coming for a couple of months probably. Lets hope the winds die down and the temp drops a bit.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:07 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Unhappy sorry... just was

commenting on how far the ash was reaching....

sorry if it came across as self-centered & touched a nerve"adsc4s"----- you're such a better person than me! congrats!!!

being a native so. ca. i've spent several occasions watering down neighbors wood-shake roofs & clearing brush ---> sorry if it was taken that way.

but i do agree that the news media is not being very specific as to what areas locally are being hit. had a friend return-call me from fontana that said their gen. area was fine..... glad for that

again... pray for rain & an end.... & hopefully the winds will change and help burn itself-out...

Last edited by 24FPS; 10-26-2003 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:18 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think ADSC4S was a little hard on you 24FPS... I wouldn't take it too personally.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:51 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awful Steve. I hope everything is OK for you there....
Old 10-26-2003, 09:47 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I wouldn't take it personally either. As FB said, that was my rant.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:27 AM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just got back from a weekend up in Santa Ynez wine tasting. Drove past about 10 porsches (obviously a group event) outside of the Foxen winery and another 2 993 widebodies along PCH while driving back home.

However, right around Latigo Canyon we ran into the roadblock due to the fires up near malibu canyon. Watched 2 water dropping planes drop their payload, circle directly over our heads, head out to sea, refill, and drop again. And again, and again . . . 'twas quite a sight.

Hope they rein in those fires soon. My girlfriend's sister has been forced to evacuate her house.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:14 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Unhappy FYI-- for news & if you'd want to help --

www.acrossla.org

hating the little news coverage i've seen... why does matt lauer have to interview (via-satelite) a couple on the doorstep of their burnt out house? & ask 'em about their forever lost photos & jewelry??? ratings??? MEDIA sucks!

-adsc4s- no prob. maybe my message header seemed "up" when it wasn't meant to be... was just suprised how far the ash traveled.--- fact is i'm just neighboring claremont one of the evac. areas, in the hills ... & in need of no sympathy.

rich

ps- only amazing thing i've seen reported was a woman refering to her burnt-out home as just things... that all that mattered was that her two kids were sitting safe w/ her. (she's a kick a$$ strong mom!)

Last edited by 24FPS; 10-29-2003 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:20 PM
blackcat
Racer

Default Yikes!

Hope everyone down south is doing okay...
Us folks that were around when the Oakland hills went up are having flashbacks...

take care
Pete
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2003, 01:05 PM
Jack Flesher
Advanced

Hope this might help http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/arch...03303_0700.jpg

Quick Reply: Southern California wildfires