New suspensions and kinetic toe question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 06:05 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Post New suspensions and kinetic toe question

Had my pss9 kit/Mo30 bars installed with alignment and corner balanced yesterday at Johnson's Alignment (Steve Alarcon). Everything went well and I asked Steve (he didnt' do the job) if the kinetic toe needed to be adjusted. To my surprise, He said, the kinetic toe should be left alone in most cases unless the car is much lowered for racing. And in that case, he has to get involve with the alignment. My car was lowered only by an inch, 25 1/4 all four corners and the car ran fine on the way home (30miles). Steve specializes in alignment with good reputation and I trusted him but I'd like to see other opinions, if any.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
I thought an "alignment" on a 993 included the usual suspects such as toe and camber, and the elusive kinetic toe adjustment as well. When I had my car corner balanced and aligned for the PSS-9's, all this was done and checked. But honestly I can't tell you if the kinetic toe was actually changed during the alignment.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:51 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m with Mike. Kinematic toe should be checked and adjusted if it’s out of spec during an alignment, just like all the other alignment settings, like camber, toe, etc. Perhaps Steve misunderstood your question and thought that you meant “adjusted outside of spec,” kind of like asking for more negative camber than stock.

Tom
’95 993
Old 06-11-2003, 08:38 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I asked for standard setting for alignment. He didn't check mine to see if the kinetic toe is within spec unless the install guy checked it himself.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:13 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts
I would think setting (or checking) the rear toe would be part of the alignment process????

I would inquire with the place that did the alignment. They may not check the rear kinematic toe because of not having the proper tooling to do so...
Old 06-11-2003, 10:45 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just got off the phone with Steve. He assured me not to worry about it unless I have some problems. Again, He said only certain applications (he named one but I didn't catch it)require check/realign the kinetic toe when the links are out of spec. He also thought the install guy had it checked .

Thanks for all your input. I'll pay attention more when I drive.

Quick Reply: New suspensions and kinetic toe question