Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traffic Pro - Are you happy with it???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 04:43 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic Pro - Are you happy with it???

If you have the Traffic Pro Radio from harman, I would lik eto know if you are happy with it and it's preformance.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:50 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric - I understand that the MSRP of these have dropped to $999...have you seen it anywhere for less? TIA.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:48 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm happy with mine. There are a few more programing options I would like but overall it's been pretty fast, accurate and has not let me down once.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

if its the same as the Becker Traffic Pro then you should get it. Two thumbs up!
Old 10-24-2003, 12:43 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Default Thumbs Up

I have to say I am pretty pleased with my HK unit.

I got a steal on it from an eBay auction (~$580), or otherwise I might have opted for another head unit, like a later stock unit, CR-220, CDR-220. I don't really need the GPS, it is just "gee whiz" stuff for me.

The appearance of the unit was a big factor for me, I wanted a stock Porsche unit, or something that appeared to be very close to stock, not because I am striving for some proper appearance in a concours sense (these style radios weren't offered in our cars) but because I find most of the aftermarket head units, with all their colors and graphics, to be, quite frankly, hideous. A **** for volume was also a plus in my estimation.

The sound is good. I couldn't really do a back to back comparison because when I swapped out the head unit the stock (dilapidated) speakers went away too. A new amp and sub-woofers went in at the same time as well.

Rod Birch of Car Audio Innovations supplied the amp, speakers, and subs, and he claims that there are better sounding head units out there, the Traffic Pros do not "sparkle", to use his words. When you power up the unit for the first time the 'Loudness' is turned on, making it sound horrible, turn it OFF! A big improvement, but then the unit still seemed a little weak in the mid-range, after a little fiddling to attenuate the treble and bass the thing started sounding a lot flatter, and really good to my ears.

If you want GPS in a stock size unit then go for it! Compared to what I've had in the car before (CR-1 then a Blaupunkt Alaska) it sounds better and pulls in FM stations better, so there is no down side.

If you want a map based GPS then think about adding on one of those bigger center console pieces:
Rennlist Thread

If you don't need GPS at all then it is a judgement call.

Cheers,
Old 10-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

Awesome! Thank you for the info and feed back.

Chuck, what color were the lights on the one you got? They have 3 avalable, Red (BMW), Green (Alpine-ish), and Amber or light orange-ish.

Do you know if it had low level outputs?

Do you like the way it does the nav??? I have the Alpine Nav in my daily driver and like that a lot, but its full mapping and 11 million POIs. I know that he HK does not have the full POI setup, but in your experience, has it "let you down" in finding businesses or the like?
Old 10-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Arthur Del Mundo
Racer

Eric - Are you THE Eric Holdaway of the IASCA/CAN/NACA days? Did you used to compete with a Buck Grand National?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:54 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.crutchfield.com/ got 'em for $800.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:38 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does the Traffic Pro "speak" with a synthesized voice, to assist in the directions? Also, I notice there's an input for a "vehicle speed sensor". Does this sensor integrate with the 993?

Thanks, Mike Lincoln
Old 10-25-2003, 03:07 AM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Mike,

Yes it can "speak" in 5 languages. I do not believe it will take speed input from the 993, but it should get very accurate speed readings from the GPS system itself. (even excessive speed)

Check http://www.hktrafficpro.com for more details.

Disclaimer: although I use a GPS system, mine is a different brand.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:06 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ApexL8/Autobahn - what color displays did you get (red, green or amber) and how well does it match the 993 guages/interior?

TIA
Old 10-25-2003, 01:23 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, the traffic Pro/Becker/HK speed sensors integrates with the 993. There are directions from a fellow rennlister on how to install.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:53 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

Originally posted by Arthur Del Mundo
Eric - Are you THE Eric Holdaway of the IASCA/CAN/NACA days? Did you used to compete with a Buck Grand National?
Hello Arthur,

Yes, that is me. Thank you for remembering...

The speed sensor wire allows the Nav system to be MUCH more accurate and up to date as to its location as you drive. If you are using only the GPS to locate, the update rate is only like once very 7 or 15 seconds. With the Dead Reconning (sp) via compass and speed sensor the unit will kepp you up to the moment and then verufy via the GPS data.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:03 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by David in LA
ApexL8/Autobahn - what color displays did you get (red, green or amber) and how well does it match the 993 guages/interior?

TIA
David,

mine is yellow just like the Porsche Traffic Pro. It's a perfect match.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:39 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I Searched the archives lots of good info. OK ,This threads got me hanker'n to blow some cash, this is even something I might use. So let me make a simple scenario. The unit is DIN sized, the plug is the same as the factory Becker, so it's plug and play. Plug in radio with Factory Wiring Harnesses, run wire to the reverse light, and install and run wire for GPS antenna then hook to speed sensing wire on back of speedometer? 95-'98 the same?

Then your set

Thanks

Quick Reply: Traffic Pro - Are you happy with it???