Sponsored by:

Window switches

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 05:28 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Window switches

In all my years of P-car ownership, all models have needed regular window switch replacement.

It's not a big problem, but are there any more robust alternatives to the unreliable original design?
Old 07-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Simon Shearer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've posted about this before and never heard anyone reply that there was a more robust replacement (or any replacement at all). It is the same switch as used on an Audi (but they're no cheaper). I am at the stage where I keep a couple on hand (about $36 each). Over the past four years I've had to have replaced 10 (between both p-cars).

You'd think Porsche's engineers might have done a better job, especially as they must have been a warranty nightmare over the years (at least from '89 to '98).

I actually got quite good at repairing them - you can get them apart but it isn't easy, and depending on the internal damage, a little super glue will fix some problems.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:49 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> Simon Shearer wrote:
Over the past four years I've had to have replaced 10 </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">In 3 years of p-car ownership, I have never had a problem with them. I wonder which experience is more typical?
Old 07-12-2003, 07:54 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

You may want to purchase them at Sunset Porsche for about $16 each.
Jim
Old 07-13-2003, 11:28 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
I've blown through 3 in the past two months. Never had a prob with my 89 C4. Absurd.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:27 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3+ yrs of daily use, incl frequent window cycles, & no problems. Just what are you guys doing that kills your switches?
Old 07-14-2003, 02:34 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've also never had to replace any window swithches on both of my 993s...I've had one for 3 years and the other for 5. Could it be an electrical current/surge issue, or perhaps water shorting them?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:10 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

I've replaced 6-8 switches.

2 distinct issues.

1) Switch shorts electrically - no longer operates window.
2) Cheap plastic internals in switch break - sometimes you can wiggle it to make it work - other times must be replaced immediately.

I bought my first 3 and since have had all replaced under 2 year (1 year?) warranty parts replacement.

As for why they break so often... well I don't use my AC much so I have the windows up and down a lot. Might just be an issues of frequency of usage. Certainly the driver's side go more frequently.

And of course group statistics are meaningless for any single user's experience - so it's entirely possible that I have had 10 failures and Dan 0. My shop tells me this is a VERY common issue at least going back to the 964.

Ben
Old 07-15-2003, 04:50 AM
Flopbuster
Track Day

I have had to replace about 6 in 18 months on my 993.

I can verify that they are a very poor design and/or build quality.

I know that I am very cautious with how I use mine, but they break.

You have to keep at least 1 spare if you don't want to be caught with the window down at the wrong time.

Just a word of caution, the passenger and driver's switch for passenger window are on a circuit so if one of them busts, you can't close the passenger window.

PC replace mine now under warranty after I bought my initial replacements.

Pete.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:17 PM
993MSJ
Intermediate

I too have had to replace two switches in the last year. As FLOPBUSTER states above, my passenger window was completly out even from the drivers side control. Thank God I had the window "up". Pretty cheap piece of equipment along w/ the door click...CE light on......Dont' get me started !!
):
Old 07-15-2003, 08:50 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never had a window switch break on my prior 964 or on my current 993. Maybe I have just been lucky, as I too use my windows much more then air conditioning.

There are, however, sturdier replacement switches. When the search function comes back, check for a prior post from me with a link to an advertisement for some. No affiliation, I just came across the ad and passed along the information to someone who was interested. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but they may have been on eBay; if so, I think it was recent enough that the link should still work. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another vote for poorly designed window switches.
They are virtually disposable items on mine. One switch a year so far.
I wonder if it is the way I press the switch : slightly sideways and down/up as opposed to straight up/down.
Tito.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:37 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

I just blew my first window switch

Can anyone recommend a cheap source for an OEM switch? My old one had a part number starting with "964". Is that correct?

There are, however, sturdier replacement switches. When the search function comes back, check for a prior post from me with a link to an advertisement for some
The search function is still not working (for items more than around 10 day sold). Does anyone know about this 'sturdier' switch?
Old 07-27-2003, 10:44 PM
Labatt
Instructor

So I'm sitting there reading everyone's threads about failing window switches, going "Mine is rock solid! Never gonna happen". Well, I was on the way to the stealer, rolled down my driver's side window, and guess what popped out? (no need for the sicker minded to answer )

Quick Reply: Window switches