Sponsored by:

OT - BMW motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 07:19 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT - BMW motorcycles

Well, I thought I would post in the OT lounge but it occured to me that I really did not want to have to go over there again! So, any stories about how great or not so great BMW's are? I own a KTM 640 adventure R and love the build quality, of course I own a Porsche and love it as well - how about BMW's? I want to get another bike and was considering the BMW's. Any thoughts? Thanks, folks....
Old 10-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

I was looking at a Rockster edition 80 and then I went to the Ducati dealer and fell in love with this:
Old 10-20-2003, 07:25 PM
DannyboySmith
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

German.......goouuuud
Old 10-20-2003, 07:33 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got 2 Bimmer bikes and a Ducati (see links in my sig) BMWs are great!!! I think the GS Adventurer is the best all around bike available from anyone.. but you better be 6' tall and have long legs.... its a big bike.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:46 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

I really like the look of your adverturer - and yes - most of the BMW lineup seemed built for tall people. My KTM is the same way. The Duc looks like a pretty sweet bike and it seems like everyone who knows bikes likes Ducs. I'll go to the local stealer and check those out - flat feet on the ground is a MUST for my next bike! Any strange maintenence issues with either makes? Any great forums like this one for those makes? TIA
Old 10-20-2003, 08:58 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Duc is a very fun bike, but you must have wrists of steel to ride it in traffic. Its terrible. Only good for fast (80 mph plus) twisty roads. Worthless for everything else. There are good universal Ducs though... check out the Multistrada. Great wheelie machine! Ducs are terrible maintenance wise. BMWs are not that much better. The only reliable bike is a Japanese bike.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:03 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

6 months ago I sold my '98 BMW R1100RSL, very neat motorcycle. They only made the "Ls" for 3 years, a sport touring bike. I've got to say I personally never had any mechanical problems and it was defiantly a gas to ride hard. My wife's happy it's gone and I sure would like a K1200RS, that's not going to happen either. If you interested in something fast and comfy check out the "K" bike.

Happy Hunting

Last edited by p_carfan; 10-21-2003 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:08 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Never been a fan of BMW bikes although I'm sure they're fantastic build quality and over engineered. I've always found another Japanese/English/Italian bike I wanted over a BMW.

I like motion's 998. His avatar makes me itch though.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:01 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

I have an '04 BMW R1100 Boxer Cup Replika. It's a great bike.
It'll easily "push" any rice rocket in the tight and twisties.
No match for a GSXR1000 in the long sweepers, though.

Have Fun
Loren
Old 10-21-2003, 01:14 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Ahhh, BMW bikes. If you like sport touring, there's no substitute.

I decided to own a BMW after taking a BSA from NY to Denver in four days. Worst ride of my life, bet a Bud .05 I could make SF in five days, I lost.

Just 2 examples:
'75 - 1200 miles on a '72 750R Boxer in 22 hours - one day. No problems - except for fly away tire rubber.
'02 - 1800 miles on a '02 R1150S in 9 days. 190 km/h for hours through Corsica & Sardinia, absolutely np problems.

If you like to go fast, stay away from large faired model (crosswinds). If you like to go long & fast, I recommend 3" high bars (they distribute the weight & the base of your neck doesn't hurt).

My preference is the BMW K motor. I think there is less pedal vibration. But frankly it didn't bother me on the Euro trip.

But those Duc's are sure sexy....
Old 10-21-2003, 03:28 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

If you're looking to get a "naked"-type sportsbike rather than a crotch rocket I would get either a Ducati Monster, a Triumph Speed Triple (this is the bike Tom Cruise rode in MI2), or for something more unique place an order for the new Norton 952 - make sure you have Quicktime and click this link for a video...

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/company.html
Old 10-21-2003, 01:27 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I like David's suggestions a lot. I currently own both a Ducati and BMW and owned a r90s with a side car when I lived in NYC. Although older, both of my beemers had a lot of character and were fun to ride....not fast though. The build quality is great...my '72 r75/5 toaster can sit for a quite a while in my garage or storage facilitiy (last time was 6 weeks) and it fires right up....I barely have to choke it. I rode my r90s from Michigan to NYC with the sidecar attached and had no issues other than a sticky float in the carb. I am sure you are talking about a more modern BMW, but if long term dependablity and character are important to you, than a BMW is your bike.

My 900ss is geting a little tough on my wrists and I am contemplating trading or selling for a bike with a little more of an upright riding position. The monster, speed triple, aprilia tuono and buell are a couple of my considerations. I did ride the Duc all the way from SF to LA (down PCH) in one day and it was an experience I will never forget.

I have owned a lot of japanese bikes (currently have a fzr600) and in many cases they outperform Ducati, Triumph and BMW, but I guess I am a Euro-snob when it comes to cars and bikes. Given the choice, I would take an older Ducati over the latest, greatest Japanese superbike anyday.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:31 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by David in LA

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/company.html
I forgot about those Nortons. Fantastic bike.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Recognize, that the new Nortons don't have a dealer network yet. Moto Manufacturering is risky. Look at Indian Motoracycles - they were well funded and just filed Chap 11.

The old Nortons were good in the early '50s. They were shakers & breakers, typical British manufacturing at that time. I would opine they were less than fantastic.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:11 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Kenny Dreer has been building modernized Nortons (the "880 Sprint Special") for 5-6 years through his "Vintage Rebuilds" shop...the magazine reviews and that video clip are of the Sprint Special and not the new 952. Prior to launching the new Nortons all of his bikes were bespoke and price was about $20K - I considered getting one three years ago but got the MH900 instead, wish I had gotten the 880.

The new Nortons have no British parts that I know of and are new from the ground up...what you are really buying is a Kenny Dreer bike with a Norton label (and perhaps the Norton spirit) on it. It is not a British Norton that has been modernized like the 880 (despite what Dreer did to modernize the bike there were still some compromises as the basis of the bike was 30 year old technology). His strategy is different than that of Indian and I would argue that Nortons have a more loyal following.

If you are looking for a bike with a strong dealer network than I agree that the Norton is probably not the bike for you...you'd be much better off with a BMW, a Duck or better yet a Japanese bike.

Quick Reply: OT - BMW motorcycles