Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche classic radio with Nav

Old 08-14-2016, 09:40 PM
dannycf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After all the positive feedback I got from my fellow Rennlisters, I installed the PCRN in my 993.
The sound quality is excellent, the bluetooth is very convenient and of course it looks great. The nav is a bit difficult to work with but it does the job. One question though..... I can't seem to figure out how to turn the radio off when I just want to use the nav. I tried muting the radio but that also mutes the nav voice. It should be, and probably is very simple but I can't seem to figure it out and unless I missed something, it's not addressed in the manual. Can anyone tell me how to turn off the radio when switching to the nav or phone function? Thanks!
Old 08-14-2016, 10:06 PM
dannycf
Instructor

xx

Last edited by dannycf; 08-14-2016 at 11:00 PM. Reason: I mistakenly posted this twice
Old 08-15-2016, 02:45 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dannycf
One question though..... I can't seem to figure out how to turn the radio off when I just want to use the nav. I tried muting the radio but that also mutes the nav voice. It should be, and probably is very simple but I can't seem to figure it out and unless I missed something, it's not addressed in the manual. Can anyone tell me how to turn off the radio when switching to the nav or phone function? Thanks!
just switch to an input like the USB or SD card or ipod that can be paused.

Bigger issue - the unit will not keep the place (it jumps back to the beginning when restarted) in an mp3 file on a USB or SD card. Not a big deal for most music but it is a big deal for hour long podcasts. Sunset told me after consulting with Porsche support that the designers did not spec in "place-keeping" on the unit. Shoot - I consider that table stakes for a radio since the 10 year old Pioneer that this unit replaced and the radio in my 2011 Jetta do this without a hiccup. My workaround is to use Overcast to play podcasts over Bluetooth but it really irks me to pay $1200 for a product without what I would consider basic functionality
Old 08-15-2016, 03:57 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
it really irks me to pay $1200 for a product without what I would consider basic functionality
Sounds like typical Porsche, er, VW in 2016
Old 08-15-2016, 04:46 PM
dannycf
Instructor

Thanks for the reply DFB73 but I'm not sure I understand your solution. I just want to be able to use the nav without having to hear the radio. I can't seem to figure out how to simply turn the radio off when switching to another function. I first encountered this problem when I discovered that unlike the bluetooth radio in my Audi and Landrover, the unit had to be powered on in order to receive phone calls. In the case of the phone I can simply mute the radio which still allows me to hear and speak on the phone. Unfortunately, when I mute the radio when using nav, the nav voice is also muted. There has to be a simple solution to this issue that I'm missing.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:51 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

my suggestion is something of a workaround but it involves switching to a source using the media button and selecting one of the sources there (Bluetooth streaming, SD card, USB etc.) that you can pause which will (I think) let the nav voice do its thing. I'll try and remember to try this tonight
Old 04-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Proj993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to replace the Traffic Pro in my 993 with this unit. I have it hooked up to an Alpine PDX-4.100, a powered subwoofer and Focal speakers. PCRNS doesn't seem to have a subwoofer output like Traffic Pro. Does anyone have an idea how I can continue to use the powered subwoofer?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:44 PM
jibmaster1
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts

I think this is such a nice upgrade to modernize our need for bluetooth/handsfree use in our cars. And it surely looks 'classic' to boot. Just a bit too rich for blood! I found a Becker Grand Prix 7990 that matches perfectly, but for a fraction of that price-but essentially near impossible to find now. It doesn't have nav, but hard to beat google maps in my opinion. Hey, I thought I was spending a little too much for my car three years ago, and now I don't think anything of it
Old 04-13-2017, 09:44 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a Becker 7990 too. If I didn't have that, I would upgrade to this unit without too many second thoughts.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:47 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Installed mine a few days ago--birthday present from wifey!

I noticed that there was a file already on the Micro SD card, but in the process of trying to see how everything works, I formatted this card, and so lost this pre-existing file. Is it required for the SD card to function? If so, would some kind soul please PM me, and I'll provide an email address for you to send it to me.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Macs993
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are two SD card slots. The one on the left is for music and any good SD card should work just copy music to it
Dont mess with right one that has Navigation program on it.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:48 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, Macs993! I understand, the right SD has the maps on it, don't touch. The left SD is for media. It came with a small file on it, which I deleted. I'm asking if that file is critical to play music--if it is, I need a copy of it, because I formatted the card and erased it...

Looks like the best thing is for me to load some music on the card, see if it will play, and report back.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Macs993
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As I recall no. I purchased a 32 GB SD and copied files from iTunes to it and it works fine. I will put the SD card in my computer tonight and check
Old 08-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 520 Posts

Upon install did you all disconnect the Battery? Just reading the manual here says to disconnect. If car is off and no power going to power supply ? ? ?
Old 08-03-2018, 03:17 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Gbos,

I didn't disconnect the battery. With the key off, no power is going to the radio circuit, and all I was doing was unplug/replug, no cutting or splicing anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche classic radio with Nav