Sponsored by:

Intermittent Radio Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 10:15 AM
dmbgamer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Radio Power

I recently purchased a 1995 993 with an upgraded (?) blaupunkt stereo. I intermittently lose power to the radio and lose all codes. I don't lose power when the car is running only when it is turned off. I have watched for a pattern but don't seem to find one. Has anyone experienced this problem?
Old 10-19-2003, 01:22 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If car still starts after parking for awhile, guess might be the radio is very sensitive to battery voltage. If it lost power/codes EVERY time it was parked, might guess it was the memory power lead (these stereos need constant voltage all the time to hold their memory).

Thought might be to yank the unit and see how the bozos who installed it wired it up.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:49 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

I agree w/Ray. There are 2 power connections to the radio: one to an ignition switched source so the radio goes on/off with the car & another to a constant source to hold the memory & allow ignition off operation. If it always loses memory when the ignition is turned off, the constant power wire is not properly connected. Check all your fuses - maybe the constant source connection (whatever it is) has a blown fuse.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:54 PM
dmbgamer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse Box Diagram

Thanks for the information. I went to check my fuse box in the trunk and found that it did not have a diagram showing purpose for each fuse. My OM said the diagram is found on the inside of the top of the fuse box.

Am I missing the diagram or is it located somewhere else?
Old 10-19-2003, 07:18 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Somehow, your fuse diagram decal disappeared from inside the fuse box cover. It's got a part # so perhaps your P dealer is able to order a replacement.

Anyway, I'd suggest you check all the fuses (only takes a few minutes w/a circuit tester) since you don't know to which circuit the installer may have connected the radio's constant power line (if at all).

Quick Reply: Intermittent Radio Power