Sponsored by:

Tires Rubbing Front Fenders - ugh

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 03:12 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Jim, turn is likely due to toe, not camber. Tire rubbing is more of a possible camber issue. If EPE did the alignment, they probably provided a printout, be curious to see the numbers. If nothing else, I have a set of 18x8 and 18x10 wheels with old Pilot Sports and in proper OEM offsets of 52 and 65 that you can try and see if fitment is any different and rubbing is still there. They are in Fram, but I'm not back till 26th.

Also, on the Zenith car... it just doesn't look like rubbing to me. Not sure why, it just doesn't.

PS. I don't make it to PCA autocrosses, since I don't have a car to drive, really (convertibles are not all that welcome by PCA). But should probably attend one since I haven't ran with these guys for a while.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Jim, turn is likely due to toe, not camber. Tire rubbing is more of a possible camber issue. If EPE did the alignment, they probably provided a printout, be curious to see the numbers. If nothing else, I have a set of 18x8 and 18x10 wheels with old Pilot Sports and in proper OEM offsets of 52 and 65 that you can try and see if fitment is any different and rubbing is still there. They are in Fram, but I'm not back till 26th.

Also, on the Zenith car... it just doesn't look like rubbing to me. Not sure why, it just doesn't.

PS. I don't make it to PCA autocrosses, since I don't have a car to drive, really (convertibles are not all that welcome by PCA). But should probably attend one since I haven't ran with these guys for a while.
Mike,

That's a very gracious offer, thanks. I'm in a widebody, but the issue isn't the rear wheels in any event. The 996 wheels I'm running are ET50 so it's not the wheels. I polished and waxed the car this spring, but this is no burn from my orbital. There's a small dent where the tire tread apparently caught the lip of the inside fender.

I'm failry certain your yellow cab is welcome at the PCA AX events. Members are allowed to bring any car they'd like. The DE events are another story, and you'd need rollover protection. I'm looking forward to venturing out to Fort Devens in my VWR32 to have at it one of these days this summer.

Did you ever replace your fender guards? I haven't seen your car in the North End recently. i often wonder if you ever hear my car rumbling down commercial street with Fister III''s as I make my way out of Town each evening. I have some Xpel cleaner that would work wonders on those black marks on your fender guards. The stuff works like magic on the cones that I keep nicking.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:21 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I can certainly bring the yellow car, and I've done that before. They allow cabs, but only on street tires. I should get our there at some point, well see. I've not done NER for years, but done NCR quite a lot before. I've kind of semi-thought of co-driving a well set up 993 for one of the local autocrosses to get a feel as my cab is mostly set up for the street.

The car is still periodically in North End. We live in Commercial Wharf, so when I drag the car to the city it can usually be found park out there somewhere. My GF occupied the parking lot spot for her cool '03 Lancer. What can you expect from a Russian towards a Ukrainian, anyway? I'm just happy she hasn't started a land-grab Referendum yet.

And the guards are still there, though I hope they'll be replaced in early August. I doubt that they are very cleanable as they are all cracked and the first, apparently, got underneath Cleaning helps some, but I've given up. As John D. once ironically stated: "Mike, you should enter your car into a concourse". Even more ironically, my car is sitting at Exotech in NH now... right next to John's 993 (that car now belongs to John D. Jr.).

Quick Reply: Tires Rubbing Front Fenders - ugh