Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small run of Bumperette Delete Inserts available.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 04:03 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

Just got the matte carbon stripes fitted and the mirrors and rear bumper resprayed to correct some road rash and a few small scratches.The bumperette delete inserts were reshot "while they were in there!".

G
Old 12-14-2017, 04:50 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Now, to powdercoat the wheels charcoal or not? Thoughts?
Old 12-17-2017, 12:20 AM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^
^^ Do it!
Old 12-17-2017, 12:38 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

Plastidip is great if you want matte finishes and want to change up your wheels without it being permanent. Super easy. Most of the work is to mask off so you minimize overspray.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:57 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

If anybody wants a set of Bumperette delete plugs to be under the tree by Christmas, I have a few sets left and I'd need to ship them out by Wednesday in order for you to receive them in time.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:46 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

I know these plugs are supposed to be reversible. Has anyone tried to use these as “cores” and then use filler to make them a permanent part of the bumper? Or is there too much flex in the bumper and movement of these plugs that eventually the filler would crack and make the job worse than just dealing with the gaps? Getting a few things painted soon so some extra filling and painting for this bumperette job I know will be not much extra work.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:20 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by samurai_k
I know these plugs are supposed to be reversible. Has anyone tried to use these as “cores” and then use filler to make them a permanent part of the bumper? Or is there too much flex in the bumper and movement of these plugs that eventually the filler would crack and make the job worse than just dealing with the gaps? Getting a few things painted soon so some extra filling and painting for this bumperette job I know will be not much extra work.
You could, but you'd have to cut the base off and glue the plugs to the bumper so that there's no movement between the different parts.

G
Old 06-02-2019, 04:32 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fitment

Lense not fully recessed.

Lense potrudes our w bit near turbo s duct versus opposite end where screw is. Notice that the turbo s duct is recessed into bumper cover similar to the screwed in side of the turn signal lense.

993 from Porsche museum.
Hi, so I have a question about the fitment of these. I have the turbo s ducts and purchased the genuine Porsche turn signal lenses. What I noticed was that while the turn signal lenses go in ok the amount that they are recessed into the bumper cover is not uniform across the entire lens. The ends of the lenses that meet the turbo s ducts protrude outward slightly, not to the point of sticking out past the bumper cover but basically making them flush with it rather than being slightly recessed like the turbo s duct piece. I noticed that the threaded bolt that the original bumperettes were screwed on to stuck out a bit so I used a dremel cut off wheel and shortened it a bit (maybe not quite enough). I think maybe it’s this bolt that is restricting how much the lenses can be recessed on that turbo s duct side. Has anyone else had a bit of a struggle with the seating of the turn signal lenses? I notice in a few of the finished photos that some others here have the same fitment while others appear to seat properly. I wasn’t certain how they should seat until I took a close look at a few 993s in the Porsche museum in Stuttgart last week. There is no doubt that the lenses should seat uniformly recessed across the entire lense and that the turbo s ducts should have same recess to them. Any tips or suggestions appreciated - thanks! Ps I know that the clear bra film looks really bad at the edges. Planning on having the bumper resprayed with new clear bra since someone backed into my car cracking the paint underneath the clear bra some time ago so need to do it anyway.

Last edited by 2ndof2; 06-02-2019 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-02-2019, 11:17 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Tried to find as many pictures as possible from my last car to see if you are getting the same result.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:29 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Gmorat,
i think your turn signal lense fitment is somewhat similar to mine and others. I suspect that the root cause may have less to do with the 3D inserts themselves but instead lies with the threaded bolts that are there to hold the bumperettes and now the 3D inserts. I think they restrict how far the lenses can recess inward. I have already cut mine back a bit with a dremmel cut off wheel but thinking maybe I need to remove a bit more and shorten each a touch further. Didn’t want to overdo the cutting in case I wanted to return things back to stock and would still need some threads to reinstall the bumperettes. I may ultimately just have the gaps filled without the inserts and respray bumper and redo clear bra since bumper got hit by some crappy driver who didn’t realize the R on their automatic transmission would sent their car into mine when parallel parking. Bumper has spiderweb cracks in paint so needs to be fixed anyway.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:48 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

^ I had to dremmel the plug insert at the base. It angles down from the top to the base where you bolt it on. The top of the turn signal lamp was hitting it there.
Take a flash light and remove your foglight to take a peak inside to see where its hitting.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Czechered Flag
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm SO late to this thread. is there any chance that someone has a set of the delete inserts available? Recently back in a 993 and im going to do a bumper respray and hoping to remove the barnacles.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:03 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Czechered Flag
I'm SO late to this thread. is there any chance that someone has a set of the delete inserts available? Recently back in a 993 and im going to do a bumper respray and hoping to remove the barnacles.
I have them, email me at gmorat@gmail.com.

G
Old 06-03-2019, 05:04 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911F1

^ I had to dremmel the plug insert at the base. It angles down from the top to the base where you bolt it on. The top of the turn signal lamp was hitting it there.
Take a flash light and remove your foglight to take a peak inside to see where its hitting.
Awesome job finishing these.

G
Old 06-04-2019, 04:21 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911F1

911F1,
Sounds like we have the answer now. Thanks. Glad I didn’t cut the mounting bolts any further. Very hard to discern that the 3D inserts are on your car. Makes me think just having these inserts sprayed and reinstalled along with the whole bumper cover is a less costly way to go than asking a shop to fill in the gaps and will look fine on a black car but we’ll see what a shop asks for in $$$$ to fill the gaps.

Quick Reply: Small run of Bumperette Delete Inserts available.