993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling down after a run

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016 | 05:48 PM
jscott82
Drifting

I've done it.... Oddly enough, before I started tracking/racing... now that I push the car harder I don't baby it so much...

But to be perfectly OCD... The fan should be underneath the car blowing up. If you look at the engine tins/covers, blowing air down is just cooling off the peripherals... The heads are shrouded by the tins. Blow from the bottom up and you are now moving air across the cooling fins and doing some real work. You would probably get more benefit just sitting the fan behind the car blowing underneath.

For those worried about cooling too quickly: Have you ever hit a puddle of hot water?
Old 06-07-2016 | 07:49 PM
helmet993
Racer

Originally Posted by jscott82
I've done it.... Oddly enough, before I started tracking/racing... now that I push the car harder I don't baby it so much...

But to be perfectly OCD... The fan should be underneath the car blowing up. If you look at the engine tins/covers, blowing air down is just cooling off the peripherals... The heads are shrouded by the tins. Blow from the bottom up and you are now moving air across the cooling fins and doing some real work. You would probably get more benefit just sitting the fan behind the car blowing underneath.

For those worried about cooling too quickly: Have you ever hit a puddle of hot water?
But, the fan does blow in through the belt driven cooling fan, hitting the cylinders?
Old 06-07-2016 | 08:06 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
I've done it.... Oddly enough, before I started tracking/racing... now that I push the car harder I don't baby it so much... But to be perfectly OCD... The fan should be underneath the car blowing up. If you look at the engine tins/covers, blowing air down is just cooling off the peripherals... The heads are shrouded by the tins. Blow from the bottom up and you are now moving air across the cooling fins and doing some real work. You would probably get more benefit just sitting the fan behind the car blowing underneath. For those worried about cooling too quickly: Have you ever hit a puddle of hot water?
Good luck getting a box fan under a lowered 993. Hello melted plastic if you do jam it under there.

Never mind the fact that when the blower fan comes on it will be blowing hot air into the box fan which will then blow it back up on the engine. Feedback loop. Haha. --Michael
Old 06-07-2016 | 08:09 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by helmet993
This was of course meant to be a fun post, let's remember that's why we all visit the site...to enjoy our cars, fix them up, ask for advice and bench race about our hobby.
^ Truth
Old 06-07-2016 | 10:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by helmet993
I have updated my avatar

This was of course meant to be a fun post, let's remember that's why we all visit the site...to enjoy our cars, fix them up, ask for advice and bench race about our hobby.
Very well said.
Old 06-07-2016 | 10:10 PM
bobboinski
Racer

I still think the fan should be flipped over, sucking not blowing. I think I better stop now.
Old 06-09-2016 | 12:45 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Here is my solution after a hot run, she points the leaf blower at the engine fan. Temperature comes down pretty quickly.

Old 06-10-2016 | 06:47 AM
Holytin
Pro

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Here is my solution after a hot run, she points the leaf blower at the engine fan. Temperature comes down pretty quickly.

Doubt it that this will lower the temperature. Not if dressed like that..
Old 06-10-2016 | 08:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cupcar

"Danica Patrick often had time to properly cool her car well before the other drivers would finish the race".

Quick Reply: Cooling down after a run