Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

F.S. 993 Windshield/Back Glass Templates

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 09:13 PM
Victor sanson
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, are there any new copies planned. I am realy interested in a set.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:05 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 233 Posts

Mike Cap graciously sent me a tracing which I transformed into a 5mm thick card template. A friend of mine is scanning them and we’ll see how they come out. Ideally we’d make this available as a 3D print job but not sure how all the steps will work out. I’ll keep you posted
The following 4 users liked this post by IainM:
alsamrob4 (10-21-2023), M. Schneider (10-20-2023), orangecurry (10-21-2023), YellowDieselGolf (11-26-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 02:16 PM
PNW993
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I’m interested as well!
Old 10-22-2023, 04:38 AM
TDW993
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by IainM
Mike Cap graciously sent me a tracing which I transformed into a 5mm thick card template. A friend of mine is scanning them and we’ll see how they come out. Ideally we’d make this available as a 3D print job but not sure how all the steps will work out. I’ll keep you posted
That would be fantastic. Let me know if I can help in any way re: 3D printing or contributing to the cost.

Cheers
Todd
Old 11-04-2023, 12:33 PM
Victor sanson
6th Gear

Brilliant ! keep us posted please.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (11-04-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 10:05 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also interested.. even Hi res (with scale or rulers) may be awesome for people to loft some 3d models.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:45 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 224 Posts

This would be fantastic. Should be easy enough to 3d scan and print these days.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:48 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would also want to get a set. Thank you.
Old 11-26-2023, 05:30 PM
climbernyc
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Please add me to the list as well. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2023, 10:16 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Me too.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:40 AM
Ajdhsz
Banned

Originally Posted by AllMine
I have a few sets of templates for installing the windshields and back glass on our cars. I had them made from an Adobe Illustrator file I was able to source. They were laser cut from Masonite, or clip board material, and I believe is 1/8" thick.

I would love to tell you how terrific they were when they were used to install the windshield on my 95 Cab...but I can not. I had the glass pulled to fix a small windshield rust concern, and then went on to a roof off, glass out respray. So...
First round the glass "tech" refused to use the templates and completely ignored the service manual /T.S.B. Procedures. I was not with the car when this happened.
Round 2 different "tech" literally flat out told me he could not install the glass without the outer weatherstrip on. This, of course, means it is impossible to use the templates. Crappy install again.
There has not been a round 3.
What I do know is the windshield templates are accurate. Before taking the car to the body shop I checked if the templates lined up correctly, and they did. I believe this was still the original glass, I think it was a Sigla glass, and the "driven by Hurley Haywood" Brumos sticker was in the lower passenger corner, and the outer weatherstrip fit and looked terrific.
The top and bottom of the templates fit flush against the glass and the left and right did not. The left and right lined up perfectly with the glass weatherstrip frame and the windshield frame when rotated slightly to fit in the weatherstrip frame. I assume this is because of how the sides curve differently from top to bottom, unlike the roof and cowl to glass fitment. I guess this in how the factory ones would work.

This is my first set I have ever seen or held, and I was honestly VERY excited with how well the templates fit.

If I did not feel these were accurate and useful I would just cut my losses and throw them in the trash. The last thing I want to do is cause problems for someone else. But, I think these can help reduce the stress around glass replacement.... If you can get your glass guy to use them...Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....

I do not own a coupe so I can not vouch for the fitment of the rear, but they were cut from the same AI file.

I will take $47.50 per set (windshield and back glass) shipped, in a bubble padded envelope, in the contiguous US. I prefer to have these spread around to help people out so I ask that you not request to buy more than 1 set. P.M. Me here and I will go by the date and time stamp to determine priority. I will not ship out of the country, sorry.
Thank You
Curt
How are they used in the installation?
Old 11-27-2023, 11:10 PM
TDW993
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

If you could add me to the list that would be fantastic. If someone could assist with helping me get a set to your US address and then forward on to me in Australia, I would be very grateful. Happy to pay in advance any costs involved up front. I have been waiting for a set for such a long time and would hate to miss out. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TDW993; 11-27-2023 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:13 PM
Victor sanson
6th Gear

Originally Posted by IainM
do you still have the tracing. Is it on a illustrator file ?

Would you mind to share it ?
Old 01-15-2024, 06:25 PM
Diablita
5th Gear

Please, if there are still some available I would like a set. In Southern California having to redo a botched windshield job. I can use the AI file, or purchase templates. Would love a set to get right on m 96 4S so I can drive again. Had to pull car from the shop who made a rust repair without pulling the glass. So if anyone knows an experienced shop in SoCal that understands the importance of doing this correctly please send me referral.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2024, 09:32 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 233 Posts

Still working on this. I made some card templates from the drawing I got from Mike (which Stevens Creek Porsche didn’t use even when I asked. That’s another story) A friend of mine has scanned the templates I made into Solidworks but we are working out a few scaling issues.
the drawing is literally that; a piece of paper with the outline drawn on it.

bear with me, Christmas, NY and work all conspiring to prevent me working on my true love.
The following users liked this post:
sbsurfer (01-29-2024)

Quick Reply: F.S. 993 Windshield/Back Glass Templates