Sponsored by:

Short Shifter Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 11:28 AM
JGarcia-Bertran
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shifter Installation

Over the weekend I installed an OEM shifter kit (sold by Gert), which sits lower than the original. Has anyone run into the problem of not being able screw correctly the under tray cover, as it the shifter sits too low and what type of modifications to the under tray were done to circumvent this problem.

Thanks

JG
Old 10-16-2003, 12:01 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

JG

There is a Q&A in this month's Porsche Panorama magazine in the "Tech" section where Joel Reiser answers this question.

The reader asks your question. Joel's response:

"This is a common stumbling point. There is an oval shaped bushing at each end of the axle that the shifter pivots on. The axle bushing is off center. Take it all back out, and invert the bushings to run with the short shift kit. It compensates for the geometry problem you describe. Put it back together. Now the whole thing fits inside the cover. Do not run it with it sticking down! In addition to risks to the car, there is the risk of breaking a wrist when it whacks the ground. (Note: this applies to all 964/993 with manual shifters.)"

Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:08 PM
96P993
Pro

Mike you beat me to it.....
Old 10-16-2003, 12:12 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Chris,

Too fast for you, huh? I had clipped the Q&A and had it on my desk to give to my shop. They're going to put RS shifter (Gert's) in next month.

Ciao
Old 10-16-2003, 12:21 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

What is the axle bushing? Does anyone have the part number so I can get a better idea of what part they are talking about?

George
Old 10-16-2003, 12:28 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

George,

I don't know, but if you're a PCA member you can email Joel Reiser through the "Tech" section on their website. Joel is very quick about reponding.

If you want me to ask him, let me know.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:33 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Mike. If you don't mind, I really would appreciate it if you asked.

George
Old 10-16-2003, 12:40 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

George,

I will post the question to him now.

Mike
Old 10-16-2003, 12:54 PM
96P993
Pro

Mike you cheated!!
Old 10-16-2003, 01:01 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Chris,

No problem. It's not that big of a difference. I actually had it in my car for two years (apparently incorrectly). They banged a divot right under the lever to give it room. I can't tell you how many times I had to fix it because any scrape (I like OTE's) would bend it out of shape and make shifting impossible. I got so sick and tired of fixing it that I went back to stock. I'm going to be so mad if it wasn't in there properly.

George
Old 10-16-2003, 01:01 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Chris,

I suppose that's true. Actually it's been a while since I asked Joel a question - but I'd like the answer to this myself since I've got the SS kit to install and was thinking it would be fun to DIY.

Love that Arena Red - gotta go get my car from hone, it finally stopped raining here after two dyas and 60 mph winds.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:16 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Short Shifter Installation

Originally posted by JGarcia-Bertran
Over the weekend I installed an OEM shifter kit (sold by Gert), which sits lower than the original. Has anyone run into the problem of not being able screw correctly the under tray cover, as it the shifter sits too low and what type of modifications to the under tray were done to circumvent this problem.

Thanks

JG
Garcia, If you have an awd, you have to modify the tunnel cover, If not:

I just installed the RS short shift 3 piece kit last weekend and ran into the problem. Immediately I realized I missed one IMPORTANT step from Shant's diy on www.p-car.com ( because everything looked so straight forware, didn't it Garcia ). That greasy metal tube that the whole shifter assembly sliding/turning on has to be moved up to accomodate the extra lenght of the shifter. That means you have to remove at least one lock ring at one end of the tube and slide the tube out. Then you remove the 2 bushings , one on each end, and rotate them 180 degree before reinstall so that the holes that hold the tube will sit higher. Push the tube back through the same holes. It's a little tedious but once you look at it, it's obvious. Beside I only have about 4 inches of space in front of my nose to work and being farsighted didn't help either :-)

If you have more questions, email me.

On the side note: Welmeister kit is quite different from the RS kit, at least the idea. The shifter lever and the shift fork are probably the same. But on the third part (longest), the Welmeister kit was designed to replaces the shift lever guide tube and the RS kit was designed to replaces the shift rod which I think is much more efficient. The shift lever guide tube is close to the front of the car and the shift rod is close to the back of car connected to the trans. The shift lever guide tube's ends use cup/ball joint which may have little free play but the shift rod which is directly connected to the transmission uses a square piece of rubber. I found this rubber piece very mushy and that's the main part that gives you that mushy feel when shifting. I strongly believe the RS kit replaces the right part (directly connected to the trans). If you have $, replace the shift rod with RS's and replace the shift lever guide tube with Welmeister's ( but you must use Weimeister's shif lever and fork to work with its shift lever guide tube).

Look that the pics below showing the stock shift rod assembly. Those who replaced their shift rod with the RS's know what I am talking about. The RS shift rod (last pic below) with all solid metal replaces this whole assembly.

The black rubber piece is the one I mentioned above. May be you can just replace the rubber with some metal piece and drill couple of holes. This way don't have to buy a new shift rod but still get the same effect.

This is the close up pic of the RS' shift rod end which is all metal. The other end is exactly the same as the stock's

This is the RS short shift kit. The longest part is the shift rod (if I name it correctly) . Also, it's the new longer (legs) shift fork that gives you the shorter throw. The shift lever being longer just because it has to give more space for the new shift fork.

When done, your shift lever will sit higher closer to the steering wheel. I cut mine about an inch (to keep the origial height and not to mess up the look of the leather boot) and reshaped the new end just like the old one so it can hold the shift *** better.

I used a large open wrench to remove the cup/ball joint and a grip lock to press them back.

Thanks Shant and Finn again for the help. I couldn't have done it without their help.

Last edited by hn; 10-17-2003 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:53 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

If it is an AWD, then you will need to dimple the tray to make it work. There is a write up I did with some pictures of the modified tray on the 993TT board. Do a search for short shifter.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:08 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I found the part numbers:

964 424 131 02 is the tube and
999 178 007 02 are the lock rings

Now I understand. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Bob, why can't you do this to an AWD? BTW, mine is just a C2.

George
Old 10-16-2003, 02:53 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe that rubber shifter coupler (or vibration isolator) can be made out of eurathane? I may have a way to have that made.

Anyone know the p/n for that coupler? I could order one today and have the eurathane place make some of these.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Short Shifter Installation