993 Forum 1995-1998

My internet order 993 bride... honeymoon trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:23 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by silvewrc2s
Waze is more populated areas has made the need for a radar detector obsolete.
Absolutely not true; Waze is full of errors and inaccuracies. Police Depts game it too.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:20 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Absolutely not true; Waze is full of errors and inaccuracies. Police Depts game it too.
Yea it is. Radar is useless in populated areas as it's set off by everything. Can waze be inaccurate, sure, but so is the radar.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:25 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, the OP's trip will be through a lot of underpopulated areas, so a detector is most suitable IMO. Mine often helps a lot on mountain roads, where I'll often get a signal before rounding a corner or hill to where the trap is located. And with the V-1, I detect them coming at me from the front or rear before they could nail me. Yes, they're not fool-proof, but just added protection.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYC993
Yea it is. Radar is useless in populated areas as it's set off by everything.
It is? Do you own a radar detector made recently? I do. My Passport Max rarely chatters or it set off by anything other than real alerts. I live in a densely populated area.

Are radar detectors perfect? Nope. But one hit, and it pays for itself, and the newest ones, paired with Waze, are a great combo
Old 05-18-2016, 03:37 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 05-18-2016, 03:46 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Yup:

http://gizmodo.com/police-are-trying...-ph-1685391655
Old 05-18-2016, 03:55 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It is? Do you own a radar detector made recently? I do. My Passport Max rarely chatters or it set off by anything other than real alerts. I live in a densely populated area.

Are radar detectors perfect? Nope. But one hit, and it pays for itself, and the newest ones, paired with Waze, are a great combo
I don't own one at all - just what I heard from others. The newer cars (esp Audis) with their monitors tend to set off the detectors.

Can kinda figure out where cops are in our area and they don't bother unless you are doing something stupid. It's not as bad as other parts of the country here.

Not the point of the thread anyways.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:57 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYC993
I don't own one at all - just what I heard from others.
Ah, well modern radar detectors have come a long way since Flock Of Seagulls was atop the charts
Old 05-18-2016, 04:13 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Ah, well modern radar detectors have come a long way since Flock Of Seagulls was atop the charts
mozart composition??
Old 05-19-2016, 03:00 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Uh oh. Forecast doesn't look good for Saturday's festivities: must be a Bridal Shower...
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2016, 03:14 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 450 Posts

Lol. If ya don't like the weather, or the weather forecast for that matter, wait and it'll change.

Good luck, enjoy the ride, and PLEASE post road-trip pics. Beauty shots are great but DIRTY 911 pics are best. ��
Old 05-20-2016, 02:05 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

TWO MORE SLEEPS !
Old 05-20-2016, 02:32 AM
Water Hound
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zeus, See you for lunch in Nelson on Sunday.

Anyone else want to tag along for a crazy day of driving? Leaving White Rock at 5am, Nelson at noon for lunch, Vernon by dinner time, back home Sunday night.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:06 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
And pics! We need pics!!
Absolutely! I brought the big-boy Canon EOS 7D for this!

Originally Posted by trophy
That is awesome.... Lets us know some times etc, I live 5 mins from Brian, could do a little meetup prior to your trip back...
That would be cool. I think we're meeting 9-10ish Sat am for my official 'meet the bride' debrief, look under the hood, fire her up session. Join us for the ride south?

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Enjoy the ride! A road trip is a great way to get to know a new car.

Just a suggestion, if you've got the time maybe consider going through Cranbrook and the Kootenays on the ride home. Lots more interesting roads that way and less traffic.

And please post pics!
Totally. I've waited months for that specific reason. I read the manual PDF a bunch of times but it is now time to crank her up!

Latest route - check this out: https://goo.gl/maps/Mj3znDzm2Lk

Pics forthcoming!

Originally Posted by Rinty
Have a great trip, Zeus! You'll enjoy driving it on the scenic route.

I ride the east part of your route every year, to the Kootenays. You'll particularly enjoy the Glory Road (31A) between Kaslo and New Denver. Fish Lake, at the summit, is a good spot for a picture:

Awesome!

You may want to check out the Leland Hotel in Leland: it's the oldest in B.C.
Beautiful shot. Will do!

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Zeus, I thought about offering to drive you there in my 993, and then we could drive back with both of them. And we could use my Valentine to help avoid traps. It would be a great drive. Unfortunately my steering wheel hasn't returned from Carsdream yet. But we could have gone in my Macan I suppose.
Enjoyed your recent article in the Timberline magazine (PCA-Canada West Region) about your purchase experience, and look forward to seeing that beauty in Vancouver soon. If I hadn't purchased my C4S last May, I would have been sorely tempted to acquire that gorgeous C2S. Enjoy the drive! I'm envious.
Hi Ken! That would have been a blast. Good to see you at the BBC a couple of weeks back. Let's get together there again with 993's when you have your's buttoned back up.

And thanks for the compliments on the Timberline article my friend. I am becoming an auto-journalist with all this! Next issue will have the final chapters.

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Well, the OP's trip will be through a lot of underpopulated areas, so a detector is most suitable IMO. Mine often helps a lot on mountain roads, where I'll often get a signal before rounding a corner or hill to where the trap is located. And with the V-1, I detect them coming at me from the front or rear before they could nail me. Yes, they're not fool-proof, but just added protection.
Brain has graciously offered his and I am sure Jeff, having driven those roads so often and is currently not in jail should know the hot spots. Right Jeff?

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Uh oh. Forecast doesn't look good for Saturday's festivities: must be a Bridal Shower...
I know! Crap! But these are not Ferrari's.

Originally Posted by bcameron59
TWO MORE SLEEPS !
One more now. Whoo hoo!

Originally Posted by Water Hound
Zeus, See you for lunch in Nelson on Sunday.

Anyone else want to tag along for a crazy day of driving? Leaving White Rock at 5am, Nelson at noon for lunch, Vernon by dinner time, back home Sunday night.
Looking forward to it Jeff. I'm meeting Derek (ginch) and some Calgary 993 buddies in Vernon on Sunday pm. Anybody else?
Old 05-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joel;

There is construction work on the Ivor Strong Bridge on Deerfoot Trail, causing delays. You may want to bypass it by continuing east on Glenmore, past Deerfoot Trail, and turning south on Barlow Trail, which intersects Deerfoot further south.

But it might not be as bad on Saturday. The delay yesterday afternoon at 2:30 was about 15 minutes.

As for RCMP, they seem to be around less in recent years, and I have been told by a retired (Calgary) inspector that they don't have enough budget to do traffic. However, I would be careful within a few kilometres of the following places: Longview, Cranbrook, Creston, Nakusp.

Pick up some jerky at the famous Longview jerky shop. It's just south of the gas station.

Also, you can top up with less expensive Alberta fuel at the Shell on the west side of Blairmore.

There's another great photo stop at Lost Lake Rest Area on Hwy 6 about half way between Monashee Pass and Lumby. Just drive down the little hill at the south end of the picnic site and you'll be right by the lake. It's well signed, on the south side of the highway.

Make sure the guys brief you on the oil quantity gauge.

Have a great trip.

Last edited by Rinty; 05-20-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: My internet order 993 bride... honeymoon trip