993 - Help! My locking system is not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 02:39 PM
Goobu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 993 - Help! My locking system is not working

Help! My locking system is not working

I recent bought a 1997 993S. Just after the limited 1 month warranty expired, I started having problems with the locks on the car.

I noticed when I lock the car (either through the remote or the central locking button) the car locks and then a second later it unlocks and sounds the horn for a brief moment. The car still thinks its locked as it won't start. Although the car is open, I click the button again, the car unlocks and will then start.

I am doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Goobu
1986 Red 951
1997 Red 993S
Old 01-11-2002, 02:47 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the behaviour when a door, etc is not closed. I suspect something is either partially open or a switch is bad/out of adjustment.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:00 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like there is a bad switch somewhere. There are some procedures in the shop manual that will tell you how to test which circuit might be faulty. If you are up to the challenge I can fax you the pages. Just e-mail me your fax number.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:06 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Kim,

You still can lock the door even with the trunk open. And it wouldn't beep the horn.

I just did some testing on my own car and it seems that there might be a mechanical latch issue related with Goobu's car.

I had the driver's side door open, while I manually pushed in the door switch and I activated the remote, and I heard a slight door lock sound, but when I push the remote button again, it did exactly what Goobu was experiencing. Another door lock sound, and followed by a loud lock poping sound and horn went off once.

So It sounds like somewhere the latch is not closing correctly at a particular door.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:15 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

AH!

Then you probably never heard of the "Beep Beep" project me and Gert had worked on awhile back. I sold that kit for a short period of time, I had to stopped making it because I just didn't have time to build the kits anymore.

It basically beeps when you lock and unlock the door just like the "Bummer", Lexus, etc...

I took the link off my web site already, but it is still active through direct URL.

Below is the link

Beep Beep
Old 01-12-2002, 02:34 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 283 Posts
Goobu:

One other quirky thing to check--if you just pulled into your garage/made a sharp turn, be sure the turn signal has reset into the neutral position. The rear turn lamp will be activated and the alarm will beep if the car is turned off in this state (don't remember if it will lock or not in this case).

Chris C.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 926 Likes on 560 Posts
I think it is only the turn signal beeper inside that goes on in this case, until you close the door. German cars can show parking lights on either side only, by turning all lights off and leaving the turn signal on for that side, locking up and walking away. This alerts passing drivers to a car parked halfway up on the curb, as they are permitted in some places. It does not activate the security alarm.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:03 AM
Goobu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I tried all the suggestions posted on this board and still no fix or solution in sight. I call my mechanic and make an appoint for him to hook up the "Porsche System Test 2".

I drop off the car and showed him the problem. He says he will hook the Tester up and give me a call later. Later that day I receive a call and he tells me that the problem is not happening any more and wants to know if I was doing something special. After a few minutes on the phone, I hang up and head down there in disbelief as this problem has been happening for a few weeks now.

I get to the shop and sure enough the problem is not happening anymore. He hooks up what I called the Porsche Laptop to my 993. He shows me that there are no faults in the system.

Here is where it gets interesting!

He tries to simulate locking and unlocking the door via the Tester. When he locks the doors, the actuators fire (now there is no horn sounding) but the doors do not lock. According to the Tester, the car thinks the doors are locked. Then he unlocks the doors via the Tested, the actuators fire again and the doors are still unlocked. But when you lock and unlock the doors via the central locking switch or the keyfob it now works. So I took the car home and I will wait for the problem to happen again before I let them start tearing apart my doors.

Anyone every had a similar experience?

Thanks for all you help

Goobu
1986 Red 951
1997 Red 993S

Quick Reply: 993 - Help! My locking system is not working