Sponsored by:

Technician reference needed - LA

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Technician reference needed - LA

So my valve train noise is not going away, and getting worse despite lifter changes etc. When recently at a P-car dealer for an oil change and noise diagnosis, they said there was bad carbonation around the valves (removed the exhaust system) and recommended a valve job.

Now, I've read EVERY thread on this, and I've tried every suggestion from changing lifters through Techron, but it does look like a valve job is next step.

But the P-car quote was $2k for the engine drop and at least $1500 for the machine shop work, and two weeks.

I need a second opinion, and preferably somewhere with a lower hourly rate for the work.

any clues for either Santa Monica or the west of San Fernando Valley?

Old 01-17-2002, 06:54 PM
dcpmark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You didn't say where you got your first quote, but there is no doubt that one of the places you should go is Redline in Santa Monica. They have worked on all of my Porsches, and are doing the PPI on my upcoming purchase. This is one of the finest independent shops in the country, and their prices are quite reasonable. You MUST visit them, if only just to hear what they have to say.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2002, 11:16 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

FWIW, two of my colleagues (one 993, one 964) have brought their cars there (Redline) for years and have raved about them. I have not, so no personal knowledge.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:52 AM
Dave Crellin
Racer

I've consistently heard good things about RedLine, but when I called them last year they said their client list was closed as they couldn't cope with all the work.

Are they the most successful business in the country?

I'll try again, though
Old 01-18-2002, 02:24 AM
dcpmark
Racer

Originally posted by Dave Crellin:
<STRONG>Are they the most successful business in the country?</STRONG>
Either that, or it's a bad sign that our cars need too much work!!
Old 01-18-2002, 10:25 AM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

I used Redline Service for 25 years. My 914, 911s, 16yrs with my 911sc. They just did a pre inspection on my current 2000 996. Owned for 3 days now. I have been very happy with there service. I don't know if they are less expensive. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:55 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Anyone ever used Monaco Motors in Canoga? Specialize in Porsche, Ferrari and Merc.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:20 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
One of the main guys that made Red Line a success was Mike Schatz. Mike has a Porsche Euro parts business (schatz motorsports) and in addition, he has a day job at: http://www.rusnakwestlake.com/

I would strongly recommend you hook up with Mike at Rusnak...it is a wee bit of a drive...just shoot up one of the canyons, and your practically in Thousand Oaks. I know guys from Orange County that take their car to Mike.

Also Galen Bieker's Werks II in Burbank, and Dave Buzagolu's (spelling of the name?)TRE in N. Hollywood are excellent places as well. THese shops are freeway close from Santa Monica.

By the way, $2,000 to drop the engine is a bit spendy....but if you are looking at a top end overhaul, which includes a 3 angle valve job, etc., expect to pay $2,000. While you are at it, get some heavy duty valve springs, IMHO, of curse.
Rusnak Porsche Thousand Oaks, home of Mike Schatz

Quick Reply: Technician reference needed - LA