Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Black, Arena Red, or?
Black
67.92%
Arena Red
24.53%
Rust (aka Don't paint, it won't be as good as original!)
7.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Respray: stay with basic Black? Or go Arena Red?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:40 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Having door jambs a different color would bother me, but if that doesn't bother you -- Arena Red. It's one of my favorite Porsche colors and what I would have chosen if I had the choice.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:44 AM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Not an equal comparison using those two pics given the current state of your car. I say, repair and respray the original color and see if you like it. If you still want the AR color in the garage sell the black beauty and buy an original AR car.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:17 AM
Jay J
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most bodyshops can dust the frunk/ and the accessible areas of the bay... You could go Arena Red..
Or my suggestion would be a black cherry ..And dust the bay.. and frunk and paint match the jambs.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:40 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm just going through this same thought process. My paint requires a full respray but I don't really want to spend that kind of money right now just to get a black car again. I have been researching a wrap and have settled on Turquoise Blue. (Considered Riviera Blue but don't want to tell every RivBlue fanatic that I'm just a poser.).

I'll leave the respray for 5 years down the road this way.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2016, 10:42 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeape
Not an equal comparison using those two pics given the current state of your car. I say, repair and respray the original color and see if you like it. If you still want the AR color in the garage sell the black beauty and buy an original AR car.
Uh oh, you're on to me. Ok here's a better pic.

Not keen to sell however, given that I have the car pretty well sorted with a suspension overhaul and top end rebuild on the motor... doing all that work yourself results in some serious bonding with the car.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2016, 11:02 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3'er
Black and wrap. On my 912, I changed from "racing green" to "wine red" (a current factory color at the time). Huge mistake. There are nooks and crainies that just can not be painted properly, so you always see the original color, or a half-assed attempt to cover it. I've come to believe...when you buy a car, you buy the color.
My first 911 was a 79 SC that was originally tobacco brown but had been repainted a light metallic blue by a previous owner. Loved the colour. I do remember noticing part of the door next to the jamb wasn't blue but it didn't bother me much at the time.

What bothered me more was that they had masked off the rear quarter windows instead of removing them, and the paint was peeling up slightly next to the trim as a result. Puzzling they wouldn't remove the windows since they did get well into the frunk and engine bay.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2016, 11:30 AM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 92 Posts

With that kind of mileage I think receipts and condition equals value. Changing the color if done correctly should not affect value relative to the cars mileage. I would not want to see two different colors even if engine bay, frunk, door jams, etc.. However, a new AR would look sweet!
(Myself would go with one of the blues......Mexico, Turquoise,Rivera.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Keep it black.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:27 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm.... tough one. I have never been a fan of black, hard to keep clean, swirls etc. AR is a great color, especially when done well....

My vote.... one side Black, one side AR
Old 05-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

If I was going to do a color change, it would be 9M like - strip to tub and do it properly. Having the trunk or engine bay a different color just throws off the feel for the car to me - it looks like a job half done. Doing a wrap is different, you know its a wrap so do not expect the color to flow through the entire car.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 76 Posts

Forever cars should always be the color their owner wants. Don't let resale value/peer pressure determine such an important factor for you. A repaint is in the works anyway, so the real question should be about how much effort it'll take to make it right rather than what color you choose to make it.

(Despite what it seems, I'm not trying to convince you to go AR because I'm an AR owner. AR isn't my favorite color for the 993).
Old 05-12-2016, 03:36 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
These two statements seem to contradict each other. That being said keep it the factory color. Even in its original form, black is a more desirable color than Arena Red.
Very perceptive! The subtle difference being that the second item was where I was soliciting YOUR perspectives (ie the 993 forum at large).

Part of my stakeholder engagement process is to expose my family members to the various argument and counter-arguments about the effect of a respray / colour change on the car's value. Resale value may not matter to me, but as Chief Financial Officer, my wife's perspective on value will be very material in obtaining an Authorization for Expenditure for this project.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:59 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

As an owner of an AR 993 I love the color, but I believe you should keep the car in it's original color (black).
Old 05-12-2016, 04:28 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Very perceptive! The subtle difference being that the second item was where I was soliciting YOUR perspectives (ie the 993 forum at large).

Part of my stakeholder engagement process is to expose my family members to the various argument and counter-arguments about the effect of a respray / colour change on the car's value. Resale value may not matter to me, but as Chief Financial Officer, my wife's perspective on value will be very material in obtaining an Authorization for Expenditure for this project.
The only argument for the change of color is because you or one of your family member likes Arena Red more than Black. All other metrics point to keeping it the factory color (originality, resale, cost of the paint job; spend less keeping it same color).
Old 05-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
If I was going to do a color change, it would be 9M like - strip to tub and do it properly. Having the trunk or engine bay a different color just throws off the feel for the car to me - it looks like a job half done. Doing a wrap is different, you know its a wrap so do not expect the color to flow through the entire car.

Cheers,

Mike
+1 in the UK that would definitely lower the resale value considerably I once bought an MGA Twin-Cam that had been resprayed white. It jarred everytime I open the bonnet so not long before it went back to it's original red. Strangley the car is now green and living in Germany.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Respray: stay with basic Black? Or go Arena Red?