Sponsored by:

WTB: HiFi Tweeter pods

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:09 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default WTB: HiFi Tweeter pods

Does anyone have a spare set of HiFi tweeter pods they want to get rid of? Sans tweeters is ok, since I'm planning on upgrading anyways. I have some other pods installed now, but they don't angle, so the sounds isn't as directed as it should be. I'm starting a long awaited stereo upgrade project since i've got the door pockets off installing BesideTheBox's pocket repair. You guys sure know how to help me keep neck deep in DIY's, upgrades, projects, etc...
Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe "Parts Heaven" if nobody has one?
Old 05-05-2016, 11:07 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Keith, I thought I had an extra set of OEM tweeters, but just looked and can't find them.

One word of advise, though, see how the aftermarket ones are attached to the door. There was an OEM bracket that is probably gone as well. I certainly had to drill mine out when I put aftermarket tweeters in.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Hi Keith -

Bob Budd has a set of my door panels right now from which he is reupholstering and deleting the tweeters. If you're not on a schedule and willing to wait a bit (I'm thinking a couple of months - maybe 3?) I will send them to you gratis. Shoot me a PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:12 AM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The tweeter pods are the same on all 993's or do you mean the hi-fi speaker pods?

Last time I checked you could sill buy the teeeter pods from Porsche for about $60 each.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Good point - The door mounted "tweeter pods" are readily available ala carte. That is without the actual soft dome tweeter guts. Quite possibly the metallic mounting ring is also available ala carte ... Its worth a call to Sunset ...

Keith - There's a fantastic SEAS 19mm ring radiator tweet with an ideal acoustic character; on axis its spot on. Its -xyz db down at 15*, 30* degrees off axis. Ideal acoustic character in a highly reflective automotive interior. There $ cost is very reasonable and readily available world wide.

Is your HiFi enhancement going to be "active"?

Originally Posted by olly964T
The tweeter pods are the same on all 993's or do you mean the hi-fi speaker pods?

Last time I checked you could sill buy the teeeter pods from Porsche for about $60 each.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:31 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by nile13
One word of advise, though, see how the aftermarket ones are attached to the door. There was an OEM bracket that is probably gone as well. I certainly had to drill mine out when I put aftermarket tweeters in.
Good point. Its definitely a different speaker pod now (firing across the car, not towards the occupants), but is flush mounted on the door, not into the door, so there is some hope its not hacked up. Off the the garage to check...

Originally Posted by Jlaa
....deleting the tweeters. If you're not on a schedule and willing to wait a bit (I'm thinking a couple of months - maybe 3?) I will send them to you gratis. Shoot me a PM.
THANKS!!!! Let me see what my schedule turns into. I start with best intentions, but it always takes longer to get it together and execute my projects...

Originally Posted by olly964T

Sorry, yes I meant the tweeters. I do have HiFi, but am after the tweeter pods.

$120 hits the stereo budget, that's why I was going the RL route first... Luckily, tires for AX/DE are on a different budget line item....
Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Keith - There's a fantastic SEAS 19mm ring radiator tweet with an ideal acoustic character;
Is your HiFi enhancement going to be "active"?
Thanks for the ideas, Mike! Originally I wasn't planning on doing an amp (added cost, complexity to the install and I don't really need it since I don't need ear shattering dB levels. I could go that route if its needed, but I like to keep it simple if possible (a good, powerful head unit will help here). My amp wiring has been hacked on and the original amp was no longer used, so I pulled & sold it already....so there is space available...

I'm currently reading every stereo thread I can find and trying to decide if I:
1. rebuild the HiFi box with new speakers
2. replace 2 speaker+ tweeter HiFi with 1 speaker + tweeter (with crossover) and dropping the HiFi speaker box in the door. Similar to this post.

Has anyone done a direct comparison of the HiFi speaker box with new speakers and a 2 speaker setup? (Ive PM'ed NP993 since he did this exact thing.)

Also, anyone know what was connected to the orange connector inside the door box under where the small tray is? was that for the additional HiFi remote control? It's in both door boxes on my car....probably since it could have been an option on a British Empire car as well...

Last edited by kjr914; 05-07-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:25 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith the extra connector is probably for an optional processor. It was available but fairly rare and expensive. Here's a bit of info and pic: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1345803

I replaced my Hi-Fi with a Focal 165 speakers. Woofer, tweeter, crossover The boxes are out, replaced with MDF board with a hole cut out for the woofer. The original Nokia speakers in Hi-Fi setup are just cheap speakers made of paper, not worth much, in my opinion.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:29 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, I've ended up with a pair of Focal tweeters and crossovers (no woofers) that I'll need to sell at some point. But that's a separate story.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:55 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by nile13
Keith the extra connector is probably for an optional processor. It was available but fairly rare and expensive. Here's a bit of info and pic: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1345803

I replaced my Hi-Fi with a Focal 165 speakers. Woofer, tweeter, crossover The boxes are out, replaced with MDF board with a hole cut out for the woofer. The original Nokia speakers in Hi-Fi setup are just cheap speakers made of paper, not worth much, in my opinion.
Thanks! That was my suspicion, it was the DSP option. I recall seeing a pic here on RL, but can't find the thread.

Looks like chucking the HiFi boxes and doing and MDF replacement (ala pilotjosh's thread) is the way to go. Truly anything will be better at this point, as my mid speakers are coming apart at the seams, literally... The HiFi box woofers were replaced, but one has a nice round, screw sized hole in it...I wonder how long that's been there, since I've never opened them up since I've owned the car ('07). Looks like the rears are 4x6 replacements, but I've got to pull out the DAS rollbar to get back there (that will involve a steady stream of cussing....).
Old 05-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
Thanks! That was my suspicion, it was the DSP option. I recall seeing a pic here on RL, but can't find the thread.

Looks like chucking the HiFi boxes and doing and MDF replacement (ala pilotjosh's thread) is the way to go. Truly anything will be better at this point, as my mid speakers are coming apart at the seams, literally... The HiFi box woofers were replaced, but one has a nice round, screw sized hole in it...I wonder how long that's been there, since I've never opened them up since I've owned the car ('07). Looks like the rears are 4x6 replacements, but I've got to pull out the DAS rollbar to get back there (that will involve a steady stream of cussing....).
Keith, pilotjosh's MDF solution is really lovely, and he used a JBL two way system with a small enough tweeter that fits into the stock tweeter location. Because his solution is a two way system, he is not using the mid driver location behind the OE speaker covers in the doors.

If you are upgrading your speakers with a two way solution, another technique is to use a two way solution with a big enough high frequency driver such that on-ear-axis mounting dies not matter so much (like it does with small tweeters that fit in the stock locations).

Here are pictures of the approach that I took ... The Focal two way system has large high frequency drivers which fit in the stock mid driver location. The OE tweeters are on the door panels, but not used.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:24 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kjr914

Keith, that MDF shape is exactly what I did with mine, also attaching the crossover to it the same way. I believe that the thread is where I got that idea. I did paint mine black so it gets a little paint protection and doesn't show through the speaker grille holes.

I would absolutely leave the rear speakers alone, BTW. Get your fronts right. Rears are just fill.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:56 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey Keith -
Is the OE radio present? Say the Becker/Porsche labeled CDR-210 maybe one of the 220's?
Old 05-08-2016, 08:40 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Jlaa,
Thanks for the ideas on the larger tweeter placement.

Niles13, I'm going to check what's back in the rear before I decide what to do. Its a 4x6 retrofit, but until the rollbar comes out, I'm at a loss as to what quality. If I replace it, it could be another 4x6, or would prefer a 5.25" with a tweeter, which is in the pilotjosh thread

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Hey Keith -
Is the OE radio present? Say the Becker/Porsche labeled CDR-210 maybe one of the 220's?
Long gone. There's an alp tape player in there....its like having a dinosaur riding along with me....well, there might be some dino riding along in my gasoline tank...

I found these guys online making MDF adapter rings, incase I want to go to a 6.75" in the door to move more air. PilotJosh did his own MDF board, which is a pretty easy solution as well.
www.soundmekanix.com/sound-mekanix-customs/speaker-adapters/mdf-adapters/

Also, I was thinking about angling the door speaker upwards a bit so its not just firing across the cabin at the legs of the other person. However, I need to mock that up in the garage to see how much benefit that can give, with the constraints of the door/pocket.

Last edited by kjr914; 05-11-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:52 AM
kjr914
Drifting

If you're not on a schedule and willing to wait a bit (I'm thinking a couple of months - maybe 3?) I will send them to you gratis. Shoot me a PM.
As suspected, my stereo replacement stalled out and has reached a turtle-like crawl. More like a dead stop... But I'm working on it again now... PM sent.

If you are upgrading your speakers with a two way solution, another technique is to use a two way solution with a big enough high frequency driver such that on-ear-axis mounting dies not matter so much (like it does with small tweeters that fit in the stock locations).

Here are pictures of the approach that I took ... The Focal two way system has large high frequency drivers which fit in the stock mid driver location.
Can you share what model speakers you used in this install?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: WTB: HiFi Tweeter pods