Sponsored by:

993 Valet Key??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 11:55 PM
Jordan Lee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993 Valet Key??

Recently upon purchasing a '96 993 I was given along with 3 normal alarm/key units a ‘miniature’ key only. By key only I mean that it is not attached to an alarm remote. It was referred to as a "Valet Key".
Any ideas as to what function this key performs, given that it can not operate the alarm/disabler??
While on the subject…. how do you gentlemen handle ‘Yahoo’ valet parking attendants?

Thank you.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:36 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jordan
The "valet key" is simply a regular key shaft w/a miniature plastic cap. It is useless for a valet. I carry it as a spare & keep a copy of the key start sequence in the car in case I ever lose my remote/real key. A good plan - assuming I will be able to follow the sequence!

As to valet parking my 993 - I never have & don't expect to in the future. I've heard too many horror stories. If I must valet park, I drive my wife's car, or slip the attendant a few bucks to either leave my car parked at the drop-off or let me self park it (I can use the exercise).
Old 01-10-2002, 04:09 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
I have two alarm fobs, two full sized keys with lights, and one "valet" key.

I always assumed that the valet key would not open the glove box but just do the ignition and doors. But I never tried, so I don't know if its a full key.

If you want three all it takes is $$$!
Old 01-10-2002, 06:22 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Silver Bullet:
<STRONG>I'm more worried that there's someone out there with a key to my car.

I'll bet it would cost a pretty penny to redo the locks, ignition, and central locking.</STRONG>
Silver Bullet, To the best of my knowledge, the third tiny key (pic in your manual) does not come with remote fob and to use it you have to follow a certain sequence - so since you have two keys with two remotes, you atleast have all remotes. If you really want however, you can simply have your dealer cut a new tiny valet spare and reprogram the two remotes (has to be done together). Note that in my opinion the valet spare handle is so small that it is not easy to use - not something I'd ever be comfortable giving to a valet since if valet is unable to start etc. you might find car towed and we all know what can happen with towing.... basically I dont think it is a valet key - it is an emergency key.
Old 01-10-2002, 10:54 AM
mags993tt
Instructor

Don't know if UK spec is different but I got 2 alarm fobs, 2 full size keys, 1 small 'emergency' key, and a red alarm fob in a sealed container (which I imagine is to reprogram additional key fobs??)
Old 01-10-2002, 11:35 AM
Tom Pepper
Addict
Rennlist Member

To make up for the wiring harness, God gave 95 993 owners real keys and no remote hassles.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:39 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Tom Pepper:
<STRONG>To make up for the wiring harness, God gave 95 993 owners real keys and no remote hassles. </STRONG>
Old 01-10-2002, 12:35 PM
Tom Pepper
Addict
Rennlist Member

To make up for the wiring harness, God gave 95 993 owners real keys and no remote hassles.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:28 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

My 91 C2 came with three keys-- two standard keys (with light) and a key with a very small plastic cover on the end that you would hold with your fingers. The dealer said that the small key was designed to fit into your wallet, to use if you lose your keys. I seem to recall there being something in the owners' manual to that effect, as well.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:19 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

how does the sequence work?? when i got my 993 '97, the previous owner gave me 2 "switchblade keys" with the remote immobilizer and 1 thin "valet" key. How do I learn/reset the sequence? Am i missing the 3rd switchblade key??
thanks
=rob
Old 01-11-2002, 01:18 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Rob
You aren't missiing any keys. A new 993 came w/2 keys w/integrated remote (switchblade) + 1 "flat key" designed for wallet/purse for emergencies. All key shafts are interchangeable so, for example, the flat key could be fitted to an additional remote. All this is explained in the Owner's Manual (p.14-15 in mine).

Also explained in detail in the Manual (p.20 in mine) is the emergency override of the central locking/alarm/immobilizer using an involved, time specific, key in door + key in ignition sequence to enter a 4 digit code unique to each car & disclosed on a wallet card supplied with the car.

It is prudent to keep a copy of the override sequence in the car, together with a spare remote battery. The code should be kept secure, apart from the sequence.

Many owners have converted their switchblades to separate key & remote.
See p-car.com DIY key conversion.

There is no need to reprogram remotes unless a new one is added or there is a malfunction.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:44 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 943 Likes on 571 Posts
Not explained in the manual is that if you add one remote to however many you had before, then you need to reprogram all the remotes together sequentially.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

I never received the 4 digit code (that Dan speaks of) on a wallet card when i picked the car up - yes, i saw p20 in the manual. Can I reset it and start again? What to do?
Also regarding the remote:
1) what type of battery should i keep in the glove box - "just in case"
2) is there a way to make the car recharge the remote when the key is in the ignition - the new M3 has this - kind of cool.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:43 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Rob

<STRONG>I never received the 4 digit code</STRONG>
You can get the code for your car from PCNA or your Porsche dealer.

<STRONG>Can I reset it and start again?</STRONG>
No.

<STRONG>what type of battery should i keep in the glove box</STRONG>
The RadioShack part # is 23-154 for a 2 pack. It is an inexpensive 12v battery. The same battery is used in many garage door remotes - it's a pretty common size (same as #23, 23M, VR22, EL22 - among others).

<STRONG>is there a way to make the car recharge the remote when the key is in the ignition</STRONG>
No.

Quick Reply: 993 Valet Key??