Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to use to remove swirl marks w/ foam pad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to use to remove swirl marks w/ foam pad?

Before I use the Zaino I need to get out my swirl marks. I don't want to pay the money for the PC orbital polisher right now. Is there any product I can go to Wal Mart or Autozone and buy (Meguairs, etc.)? I would like to do it tomorrow instead of buying off the internet. The marks are just very light swirl marks from washing. Also, when applying polish with a foam pad and applicator, should I go in circles or straight lines? My car is Midnight Blue. I am going to do the clay bar also--should I clay before or after the polish?
Old 10-13-2003, 05:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,693 Likes on 2,340 Posts

sorry, no familiar with meguiar product, griots has fine hand polish to deal with swirls. personally i would clay BEFORE polish. my logic is that you don't use pressure with clay just light motion having clay lubricated and picking up dusty etc. when the car is clayed and clean, you polish with some pressure. if you reversed the operation, wouldn't you be grinding some of those industrial fallouts into the paint?

this is just my own logic, which can be way off. i would love to hear what otehr detailers have to say.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:06 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Red-

Lots of folks like 3M Swirl Mark Remover, you can use it by hand and it's available at "Pep Boys" and other auto parts shops. One thing to remember, it comes in two formulas, one for dark colors and one for light. I use it myself for pre-Zaino and I've been very happy with the results.

God Luck
Old 10-13-2003, 05:14 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Mark,

I see you're in the Atl area. Look up the closest Auto Color store and visit them. They're real experts, can answer your questions and carry all the best car paint and detailing products.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Benton
Drifting

ARGGHHH... darn body shop! If my car isn't ready tomorrow I going to bust some heads! They said it would be ready Tuesday of LAST week, and I just called them to hear that it won't be ready today. They said it would be done by tomorrow for sure, but I have no clue if I can trust them.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:13 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,693 Likes on 2,340 Posts

car in body shop? if you just had paint work, i am not sure it's god idea to immediately clay and/or polish it.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Benton
Drifting

I'm claying/polishing the rest of the car.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:30 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark,

I've used the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze with good results. However my car is Grand Prix White. Check out this link: http://www.carcareonline.com to get some ideas.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:58 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Here's a link to the Auto Color website:
http://autocolor.com/

They've got something like 15 stores all over Atlanta. Go see'um.

JC
Old 10-14-2003, 01:53 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best product i've used is 3M finesse it. it is also silicon free so you can use this product on recently painted panels. it is best used with a buffer, but don't use a cheap buffer or worse yet a drill. Your really want a good buffer to use, short of that i would by the 3m swirl remover that works by hand. Griot's garage has one as well. both work.

also i would recommend using the clay prior to buffing as suggested earlier.

cheers
boris
Old 10-14-2003, 10:47 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know you said no internet options, however, Einszett (German) makes some excellent polishes that work very well by hand. Additionally Clearkote makes some excellent polishes that can be applied by hand.

Be aware that most of these polishes being discussed have some fillers and oils in them that will interfere with the bonding process of Zaino. You will have to remove these oils and fillers prior to applying the Zaino.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:39 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

3M SMR will do a fair amount by hand, use foam, wipe with microfiber, always in the lines of the car (think air in a windtunnel for direction), except on side panels, more up and down as you get below the midpoint of the car.

FWIW, www.autopia.org is fabulous. Here is a posting of what I did on my car:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=26911
Old 10-14-2003, 03:59 PM
Benton
Drifting

I guess I will splurge and get the PC buffer. I will probably get finesse-it and maybe SMR--I'll post some results once I do it. Thanks for the help
Old 10-14-2003, 10:41 PM
rkymtn993
Addict
Rennlist Member

What makes the PC buffer better than other buffers? Is it worth to pay up for the PC vs a plain old Black & Decker orbital buffer?
Old 10-14-2003, 11:08 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

I second the Autopia recommendation. You'll learn a lot hanging out there!

A good rule of thumb is to start with the least abbrasive product first. If that doesn't work, then move to a more abbrasive one. With a PC, I'd first start with SMR and a polishing pad. If that's not enough, a cutting pad with Finesse It may be the next option.

The Porter-Cable is the way to go... Unless you know what you're doing you could damage your paint. The PC is more forgiving, and recommended for those just starting out, myself included!

Quick Reply: What to use to remove swirl marks w/ foam pad?