993 Forum 1995-1998

A frustrating story

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:29 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike-- IIRC from what you wrote in March, you were at a fellow RLer's house to help with his project. IMHO, it's time for 'carma' to kick in for your good efforts helping others when this started.

Echoing our PM: fingers crossed for a 'speedy' solution, my friend
Originally Posted by SpeedyS2

I contacted the local TV news station "Trouble Shooter".
Brilliant.
Originally Posted by SpeedyS2

I'm disappointed in AAA, but I'm certainly going to try to teach them!
Wishful thinking: they should reimburse your valuable teaching time
Old 05-04-2016, 02:54 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
Your ability to diagnose the failure is separate from the problem. The car wasn't damaged before the tow, and it is now. Nuff said.

...unless they're claiming the bumper was already damaged before they loaded it up??
exactly! this is an open and shut case. the technician damaged the car while loading onto the flatbed. end of discussion. my car has been "flatbedded" several times (mostly flat tires) and the techs are thorough. checking and re-checking, i.e., car in neutral...parking brake off, towels inside wheels so tie downs don't abrade the finish, etc.

can't stand these stories. sad that today you damn near have to go nuclear to get companies to do the right/honorable thing...you broke it you fix it. WTF is difficult to comprehend about that.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:15 AM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen the car in person and the pics don't do it justice, AAA really screwed up here. IIRC AAATowmark is the company that towed the car, which is not a subcontractor for AAA but a wholly owned subsidiary. My membership just came up for renewal and I canceled it
Old 05-06-2016, 10:27 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Mike-- IIRC from what you wrote in March, you were at a fellow RLer's house to help with his project. IMHO, it's time for 'carma' to kick in for your good efforts helping others when this started.

Echoing our PM: fingers crossed for a 'speedy' solution, my friend
Thank you!

I'm waiting to hear back from my insurance now, and I'm pursuing other avenues to voice my disapproval. We'll see how it goes.

It's been nearly 7 weeks now since I have driven my car, and repairs - if we ever get to that point - will not go quickly. I miss it!
Old 05-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any updates?
Old 05-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm not clear is AAA your regular auto insurance and towing insurance or just your towing insurance?

Thoughts:

1) The concept that a tow hook has any failure mode built into it is nuts. Why would there be a design that would release the car to roll free if towed with too much force. Complete bogus excuse here.

I can hear it in court now: "Well your honor, we felt it best to let the car go free than to damage it by towing it too forcefully."

2) Any tow hook design would be strong enough to withhold more than 1 G of force when the mass of the car is towed against its own inertia. But all bets are off when the car is tied down and force applied with a mechanical device as was done here. This is known as destructive testing.

3) As far as I know, the AAA tow operators are independent contractors who should have their own insurance

4) If AAA not your regular auto coverage, what does your auto insurance company say about this??

Quick Reply: A frustrating story