This is perverse...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 09:09 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Post This is perverse...

I logged into the Cayenne part of the Porsche.com website and when I went to the "Bloodlines" tab it talks about what kind of off-roading is capable in Porsche's sports cars, like this is the reason to buy a Cayenne because the 996 TT can forge streams without a second thought, maybe they can add a snorkle option, and water proof door seals to the option list. Sorry to bring this up again but what a joke this company seems to have become.

Old 01-08-2002, 10:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down

Oh Greg, I couldn't agree more, that doesn't only suck, it sucks badly I just can't understand what those guys there are thinking
Old 01-08-2002, 10:52 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi Greg
.......what are germans thinking?
dont be too negative and jump to conclusions. Most 996Twin Turbo owners would find it usefull to be able to 'ford' flashflooded areas in Borneo, Nepal, Honduras, and Afghanistan as this is where the greatest percentage of owners exist.

I mean ones $125,000 daily driver, with little ground clearance, SHOULD be able to withstand mudslides, sinkholes, fast moving water, submerged logs & underwater boulders that are routinely found blocking roads in Los Angeles, NYCity, Palm Beach, and other affluent areas.

Yessiree and I sure change my clothes whenever I change my cars oil or paint my house......because I doit in my Tuxedo like 007.

Porsche missed 2 more practical applications for the 996TT that I can see:

1st was installing a MEYER SNOWPLOW with lights on the Speedyellow 996TT.

2nd they could have attached a rototiller/sodbuster so a farmer could get a jump start on spring planting in a stylish way!
LOL good night
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 01-09-2002, 02:20 AM
B-Line home
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course I agree with all of you, no question about it...
But, I do have to say that looking at those pic's of the 996TT offroading put a huge grin on my face...
what great pics..hehe

btw, if Porsche asked me to drive a 996TT in a Baja race i'd be sitting in a car with a grin from ear to ear. Or what's that other race from europe through africa or something where people get shot at and kidnapped!!!
If porsche gave me a car my response would be..
"Let me drive, I won't make a fool out of you harry."
"just make sure my tires are matched special and staggered perfect!"
hehe, night all
Old 01-09-2002, 02:28 AM
B-Line home
Racer

paris to dakar rally....Now that would be a ton of fun!!!
Old 01-09-2002, 04:41 AM
Barney
Intermediate

Not only is the 996TT a "great" off-road vehicle, it also has such enormous crash protection that you can drive on the left-hand side of the road.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:25 AM
Rob O'Meara
Instructor

Cool

Stop your whinging and whining. Porsche successfully ran a 959 in the Paris-Dakar rally. It's part of the 911's unique heritage and I for one appreciate that sort of engineering integrity in a car. We have have had numerous floods in the UK recently and I have driven my 993 turbo though deep water on more than one occasion. Don't try doing that in a Ferrari. I love driving around in the snow as well, it's all part of the supercar experience.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:31 AM
Mark Buka
Instructor

Guys:

Yesterday, at the Detroit Auto Show, Herr Dr. Wendelin Wiedeking stated that Porsche's research indicates a market of 25,000+ units for the Cayenne. He added that Porsche has no outstanding debt and 2 billion DM in its
coffers. Based on this, Porsche believes that the Cayenne will be a money maker, considering it will probably be offered with
three engine configurations and priced accordingly.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Joe, I'm going to give you a 10 out of 10 on that post.. very entertaining!
Old 01-09-2002, 10:49 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Those who think Porsche is abandoning its core business and has lost its focus are very wrong. Look at the automotive market. Look at the consumer trends. Porsche is perfect to produce a performance SUV. They are still doing a fantastic job of advancing the sports car line up. Porsche has not lost its position in the competitive line up. Some changes must be made for survival and practicality such as the snap together car (996).
Old 01-09-2002, 11:06 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
Thumbs up

Guys I'm sorry but I think these are some of the coolest pictures I have seen. LMAO right now - but then again I drive a Carrera 4 so go figure. Hey Greg, where is the link for the 360 Modena doing these maneuvers?
Old 01-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Doc Vorce

Under Wiedeking's management, Porsche has become the most profitable automobile manufacturer in the world. I hope that the Cayenne will be extremely successful for Porsche--if only because that vehicle's success will give Porsche the money to continue the development of its sports cars and, significantly, to return as a manufacturer to racing.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:13 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rumor has it there will be 3 basic configurations, V-6 ($45,000 base) V-8 ($55,000 base) and twin turbo V-8 ($65,000 base.

The "Heritage Option" add's a large electric fan "simulates the unique sounds of the 911 from which the Cayenne was derived."

The Hi-Fi sound system "default" plays the sounds of a crowd cheering over a cacophony of screaming engines... This is intended to bolster pilot confidence during freeway merges or when pulling a sailboat.

Enormous badging on nearly every available space ensures that your race-bred Cayenne won't be confused with more mundane SUV's at the shopping mall, grocery store, or your kids soccer game.

Remember, these are only RUMORS!

Old 01-09-2002, 02:08 PM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Rob O'Meara 993tt UK:
<STRONG>Stop your whinging and whining. Porsche successfully ran a 959 in the Paris-Dakar rally. It's part of the 911's unique heritage and I for one appreciate that sort of engineering integrity in a car. We have have had numerous floods in the UK recently and I have driven my 993 turbo though deep water on more than one occasion. Don't try doing that in a Ferrari. I love driving around in the snow as well, it's all part of the supercar experience. </STRONG>

Rob, you stirrer !
I take it your baby is back in one piece again. Who did the business, Phil (tech9?) or GT-One ??

Cheers,
John.

P.S. I also like the 959. Anyone got any good pics ??
Old 01-09-2002, 02:50 PM
JDW
Intermediate

Greg, if I had the money I'd be there. 3 993 TT. A daily driver, off-road with snorkel of course, and race only car. I think we should put a snorkel on my bastardized c4s. Thinking a lot about rallying lately. great practice for car control. I can always buy another c4s 20 years from now to be track only anyway

Quick Reply: This is perverse...