Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is perverse...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 12:56 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Heck, I might buy a 996 if it would look like the 993 and had an air-cooled engine...
Old 01-10-2002, 01:00 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Viken:
<STRONG>

Porsche always made one. The latest version is called 911 GT3 Cup.</STRONG>

Perfect. As long as it's street-legal, and costs less than the regular 911, I'm all over it.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:55 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>Perfect. As long as it's street-legal, and costs less than the regular 911, I'm all over it.</STRONG>
DJ,

Would you really drive a car without A/C and heating every day? I can see you in a car with no other amenities but I find it hard to believe that you can live without these. Especially, in a car with hardly any insulation.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:04 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

<STRONG>

DJ,

Would you really drive a car without A/C and heating every day? I can see you in a car with no other amenities but I find it hard to believe that you can live without these. Especially, in a car with hardly any insulation.</STRONG>
I drive my car now without using the a/c, unless I have a complaining passenger. The windows go up and down to control the temperature. There isn't a lot of spare horsepower, and I'm not about to give up any of it just to control the temperature.

I use the heat when it's cold, but if this new lightweight 911 had headers that didn't make provision for a heater, that'd be fine with me. I can always wear a jacket if it gets cold.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:10 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>The windows go up and down to control the temperature. There isn't a lot of spare horsepower, and I'm not about to give up any of it just to control the temperature.
</STRONG>
D.J., I believe that the drag from an open window costs more HP than the A/C compressor. At least at speed it does, and since you never go slowly...
Old 01-10-2002, 10:46 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
<STRONG>

No, the RSA was quite a few thousands less than the Carrera 2. I once posted the exact MSRP figures which I have at work if anyone cares to know.</STRONG>
Thanks Viken for correcting, I had my thoughts...

It seem that there are not so many people like me then, wanting Porsche to be more pure sporstcar
Old 01-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>

I would buy a 911 with no air conditioning, no heater, no door panels, no arm rests, no stereo, no sound deadening, no sunroof, no back seats, no spare tire, jack, tools, nor airbags. Add carbon fiber race seats, a factory roll cage, six-point harnesses, a close ratio six-speed, some aero bits, big brakes, and stiff suspension.

As long as they used the GT3 motor.

Anyone else?</STRONG>
Oh yea babe!
Old 01-10-2002, 11:36 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Flying Finn:
<STRONG>Thanks Viken for correcting, I had my thoughts...</STRONG>
Here are the prices:
RS America: $54,800 (1992 & 1993)
Carrera 2: $63,900 (1992) & $64,990 (1993)
Old 01-11-2002, 12:26 AM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
Those pictures are obviously FAKE!

This is what really happens when you take a Turbo "off-road."

Porsche Off Road

--Paul--

PS Thanks Robin!
Old 01-11-2002, 09:35 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

<STRONG>

Originally posted by Ran:
You are right but I think that if BMW had offered AC on the lwt E36 M3 there would be a quite a few more takers - and I really mean just that one option without getting into option creep.

Well, that option alone would defeat the purpose of a "lightweight" car. On the RS America, at least Porsche made A/C optional and almost everyone ordered it. Again, defeating the purpose.</STRONG>
Nevertheless, I cant do without AC on a street car. And my Porsche is a street car first though I'd have preferred it to have been delivered with a very firm suspension and race seats and less insulation. But you are right about the purpose being defeated atleast substantially with AC addition - from the other posts it seems that people here really want a true barebones car.

I am sure that if all these posts translate into actual purchases of street legal barebones cars when they are really offered like the sans AC LWT M3, then more mfgrers would be encouraged. Alas, the LWT M3 languished on shop floors - can we blame the mfgrers for not listening to the cries of "enthusiasts" on internet boards. Can we blame Porsche? They were actually smarter at offering AC on the RS - atleast it sold. Poor BMW was being more true to the ideals held high by those who like non-ac cars and suffered. Never again I guess.

Now the Cayenne..... thats another story...quick profits MAYBE but then what - rush headlong into BMW waters?
Old 01-11-2002, 09:57 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>

I drive my car now without using the a/c, unless I have a complaining passenger. The windows go up and down to control the temperature. There isn't a lot of spare horsepower, and I'm not about to give up any of it just to control the temperature.

I use the heat when it's cold, but if this new lightweight 911 had headers that didn't make provision for a heater, that'd be fine with me. I can always wear a jacket if it gets cold.</STRONG>
Love AC, dont use heat but want it for eventuality, like leather but with you on other deletions since I never use sunroof and dont mind rolling up windows.

Like you, I too would go for the C4S (was searching for one at one point) without reservation since I like the big reds, the looks and the turbo suspension notwithstanding the fact that it weighs more, costs more and is a wee bit slower atleast for the record. But then I am an unapologetic, unabashed sucker for materialistic considerations like looks (well, I liked the braking power a lot) Getting there without sweat and with a few dead bugs is a priority too !!
Cheers
Old 01-11-2002, 10:17 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by tom_993:
<STRONG>

D.J., I believe that the drag from an open window costs more HP than the A/C compressor. At least at speed it does, and since you never go slowly...</STRONG>
Tom,

It doesn't. I've tested it.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts
I don't have A/C on any of "my" cars, a Carrera Cup C2 and Integra Type R, of course wifey has it on her MB which I use in "emergencies" when I'm wearing a tuxedo, etc. Otherwise, I don't miss A/C living on coast in So. Cal.. I like working on a car that is as simple as possible and can't stand the concept of added weight to a sports car.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:54 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

<STRONG>

Here are the prices:
RS America: $54,800 (1992 & 1993)
Carrera 2: $63,900 (1992) & $64,990 (1993)</STRONG>
And that didin't sell?! What kind of people are living here

Quick Reply: This is perverse...