Sponsored by:

This is perverse...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 02:58 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 71 Posts
One last note from me on this topic..

Although I have mixed feelings about the Cayenne I have come to the conclusion that:
a)many sports car enthusiasts will not appreciate the SUV because of it's heritage.
b)it might very well be a great SUV.
C)it is a deperature from Porsche's norm but many other Pcars have also been critisized for not being a 911. For example, The Boxster when it first came out, the 944, the 928, the 968, etc.
We are 911 lovers but there has always been some ridicule of Porsche when they have tried something different.
D)If I had the money, couple kids, and needed a everyday SUV, why not buy a 450hp porsche SUV that could smoke most sports cars..It's better than driving a Ford F-150.
Just my opinion.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:34 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not at all perverse. Porsche has a long tradition of participating in rallies. In 1984 a limited version (20 cars) conceived for this purpose, the 911SC/RS was developed. (Rallies sponsored by Rothmans) Extreme rallies like Paris Dakar were target in 1987 with the limited 953 version (It was based on the 911SC/RS but had a turbocharged engine), then, of course as mentioned already the 959 was deployed. So nothing "perverse" about the 996tt being used as shown in the fotos.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:00 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts
Dear Mr. 993 RS,
I am still on the floor laughing after reading about the Meyer snowplow option. Thank you!

On second thought Porsche is known for extensive option lists..... maybe they'll take it seriously....
Old 01-09-2002, 05:21 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I just thought it was weird to use the 996tt (the ultimate current model) in offroad scenes as a selling tool for the new Cayenne. How many of us take our SUV's off road, much less our 911's.

I know that Porsche was very succesful in rally competitions and I would love to see them competing again in that venue.

Porsche achieved the success they have at both the competitive level and with individual owners by not always doing what the other car companies feel is the hot concept or style and by building a no compromise car.
I truly hope the Cayenne is a success so Porsche can get back to the upper levels of factory racing.
Greg
Old 01-09-2002, 07:07 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<STRONG>I just thought it was weird to use the 996tt (the ultimate current model) in offroad scenes as a selling tool for the new Cayenne. How many of us take our SUV's off road, much less our 911's.

Greg</STRONG>
...Ha! I have! I wish I had pics, but at the end of December I took my car to my Grandmother's ranch in Gordon, Texas. There's no road to the ranch house, so you have to go a bit off-road to get there. And you know what? My little 2WD carrera made it just fine...normally it takes a Jeep! Didn't even throw the car out of allignment. Now that's engineering!!!

cheers,

sean
Old 01-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My 2 cents:

I have no problem with Cayenne. If they wanna build an SUV and sell 20, 30 or 200 000 units here in US is fine, I would like very much to trade my wife's minivan to it.

But why they don't make one 911 model with maybe a little stripped interior, no cupholders, NO automatic tranny etc. more simple, not so much bells & whistles, just business = real 911?

To me, it seems that they just want 911 (not counting turbo, GT, but with that kind of money...) to be more and more bouleward sports car that 'real' one. Maybe it's only me, but that is what conserns me most.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:38 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Flying Finn:
<STRONG>But why they don't make one 911 model with maybe a little stripped interior, no cupholders, NO automatic tranny etc. more simple, not so much bells & whistles, just business = real 911?</STRONG>
Because few people will buy it and it is not worth certifying the car at great expense. Look at what happened with the E36 M3 lightweight. It sat on showroom floors until it was sold-out with huge discounts. Unfortunately, the formula doesn't work in the US mostly because the demand for such vehicles is not so great and our government mandates a re-certification with every minor deviation such as seats, seat belts, power windows, etc. Remember the RS America? It was nothing more than a stripped Carrera 2 with all basic Carrera 2 equipment including power windows. Porsche couldn't even give us the beautiful and supportive RS seats on that car. Even the new GT2 comes to our shores with the same lame seats as found on other Porsche's.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:40 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Viken:
<STRONG>

Because few people will buy it and it is not worth certifying the car at great expense. Look at what happened with the E36 M3 lightweight. It sat on showroom floors until it was sold-out with huge discounts. Unfortunately, the formula doesn't work in the US mostly because the demand for such vehicles is not so great and our government mandates a re-certification with every minor deviation such as seats, seat belts, power windows, etc. Remember the RS America? It was nothing more than a stripped Carrera 2 with all basic Carrera 2 equipment including power windows. Porsche couldn't even give us the beautiful and supportive RS seats on that car. Even the new GT2 comes to our shores with the same lame seats as found on other Porsche's.</STRONG>
You are right but I think that if BMW had offered AC on the lwt E36 M3 there would be a quite a few more takers - and I really mean just that one option without getting into option creep. The lwt M3 is still a hard car to move even after people realised the value in it due to its popularity at track events and easily recognisable unique colour scheme.

The so called squealing brakes, hard seats, firm suspension (actually stock susp is not firm), noisy tyres (based on complaints here but I've never experienced any noisy tyres) etc. are all okay as long as there is AC
Old 01-09-2002, 10:52 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
<STRONG>

Because few people will buy it and it is not worth certifying the car at great expense. Look at what happened with the E36 M3 lightweight. It sat on showroom floors until it was sold-out with huge discounts. Unfortunately, the formula doesn't work in the US mostly because the demand for such vehicles is not so great and our government mandates a re-certification with every minor deviation such as seats, seat belts, power windows, etc. Remember the RS America? It was nothing more than a stripped Carrera 2 with all basic Carrera 2 equipment including power windows. Porsche couldn't even give us the beautiful and supportive RS seats on that car. Even the new GT2 comes to our shores with the same lame seats as found on other Porsche's.</STRONG>
I know, it's reality of life that sucks (lot more people looking for a comfy, luxury 911 than more 'real' 911 (I really hate to use that word but you all know what I mean...)) But for example RS America was more expensive than standard car (if I remember correctly).

'stripped' 911 should be cheaper, then it could sold (I think). Heck, I'm not one to say how it should be done but this is just how I feel.

I don't wanna be able to say my buddies that: "look, new 911 has great cupholders or automatic tranny or something" I wanna be able to proove that it is not a boulevard cruiser, it is (and should remain) a real sportscar!

OK, that's enough, my opinion doesn't count anyway. Although, I have this one buddy who works at Porsche, I'll start complaining to him & asking questions what they (at Porsche) ar up to?
Old 01-09-2002, 11:11 PM
B-Line home
Racer

Shouldn't we also ask then,
why does Porsche make a 911 with a Tip??
I believe they started doing that in 1990 or 1991 I can't remember. But it was at the same time Porsche took out the long stick shift and started also adding power steering.
I still often get the chance to drive a late 80's Cab and it's a totally differnt type of feel than a 993 or 996.
When I drive my bro's 89 cab, I can't even figure out how to turn on the A/C or the heat.
But after driving it one block, I'm drenched in sweat. You really have to DRIVE that car.
Parking it, that took some work too.
Personally, I'd like to see all 911's as manual, no Nav units, no TIP... (keep the power steering please!!)
Pcars are still great machines but they have really changed a lot over the years. Now, the wives can drive them to the grocery store etc, and in my opinion the Cayenne is a evolution of that philosophy.
And, if you need to have a suv...why not have a porsche SUV... The only other car out there that even comes close is the X5.
just my opinion...
Old 01-09-2002, 11:23 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Ran:
<STRONG>You are right but I think that if BMW had offered AC on the lwt E36 M3 there would be a quite a few more takers - and I really mean just that one option without getting into option creep.</STRONG>
Well, that option alone would defeat the purpose of a "lightweight" car. On the RS America, at least Porsche made A/C optional and almost everyone ordered it. Again, defeating the purpose.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:28 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Flying Finn:
<STRONG>But for example RS America was more expensive than standard car (if I remember correctly).</STRONG>
No, the RSA was quite a few thousands less than the Carrera 2. I once posted the exact MSRP figures which I have at work if anyone cares to know.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:34 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by B-Line home:
<STRONG>Shouldn't we also ask then,
why does Porsche make a 911 with a Tip??</STRONG>
To gain more market share which they have achieved. BMW is doing the same with their new E65 which is full of gimmicks and gizmos. They want to gain more market share and be able to get back some of the customers who were less loyal by going elsewhere. As ugly as that car seems to be and despite the critisizm, it will sell. Bottom line, it is competition and this is the only way to survive in this dog eat dog world.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:43 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

<STRONG>

Well, that option alone would defeat the purpose of a "lightweight" car. On the RS America, at least Porsche made A/C optional and almost everyone ordered it. Again, defeating the purpose.</STRONG>

I would buy a 911 with no air conditioning, no heater, no door panels, no arm rests, no stereo, no sound deadening, no sunroof, no back seats, no spare tire, jack, tools, nor airbags. Add carbon fiber race seats, a factory roll cage, six-point harnesses, a close ratio six-speed, some aero bits, big brakes, and stiff suspension.

As long as they used the GT3 motor.

Anyone else?
Old 01-09-2002, 11:50 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>I would buy a 911 with no air conditioning, no heater, no door panels, no arm rests, no stereo, no sound deadening, no sunroof, no back seats, no spare tire, jack, tools, nor airbags. Add carbon fiber race seats, a factory roll cage, six-point harnesses, a close ratio six-speed, some aero bits, big brakes, and stiff suspension. As long as they used the GT3 motor. Anyone else?</STRONG>
Porsche always made one. The latest version is called 911 GT3 Cup.

Quick Reply: This is perverse...