Sponsored by:

Any psychiatrists out there? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 10:50 AM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by 993RS:
<STRONG>Great here in Switzerland are all these curvy country roads. When I travel South, I even avoid the Gotthard tunnel, because the old Gotthard pass road (much longer of course) is practically empty and tons of fun... </STRONG>
What a stunnig road that is !!
I've not done it in the P-car, but did it on a bike last September.
That and the Furka Pass, Oberall Pass, and a whole load more.

If any of you find yourselves in a car in the south of france, look for a road that heads north out of a village called Die, North of Orange. It is an absolute classic !!
I have some pics somewhere at home.
There is also a road east out of Orange that is a corker. These roads were responsible for me wearing out a rear tyre on the bike in 1500 miles

Oh dear, there goes the concentration. How am I going to get any work done now ?!?

In a similar vien, how many glances back at your car do you give it when you leave it

Cheers,
John.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:22 AM
Darryl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan,

I, too, am guilty of frequent visits in the garage, short drives turning into a 2 hour drives to warm up my car but their is another height.

The next step is having your p-car friends stop by to visit. It started with 1 friend visiting and now often it exceeds 4-6 guys. We use to hang out in the garage and talk about our p-cars, now we have a set up. A card table w/beach chairs. The neighbors all know that Sunday afternoon is for the p-cars and park their cars in their garage to free up the streets.
Everyone brings a pupu or snack and we sit around on Sunday afternoon in the garage with all our p-cars in plain site and critique everything there is to know about ownership. It's a blast!!!

My wife shakes her head because the only time the guys ever go in the house is to thank her and tell her goodbye. Sickness? Obsession? Crazy? you be the judge...?
Old 01-10-2002, 11:54 AM
MG993
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Darryl,

Call me crazy but, it sounds like the perfect day!

I always like my Ahi Poke and Spam Musabe served with a Porsche and Hawaiian Sunshine on the side.

But, everytime I go to the Island I get stuck with a cheep rental car. Not fun to drive to the soccer fields in one of them.

Myles
Old 01-10-2002, 12:47 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Wink

In a similar vien, how many glances back at your car do you give it when you leave it

Cheers,
John.

John

I usually do the "all-panel-walk-around" for the "leaving it in the car park check".

I then make a mental note of the registrations of any cars that are parked unneccesarily close.

I then sighingly look back as I walk towards the elevator.

(An added bonus is if complete strangers stop and look at it as well whilst I am out of sight - usually behind a pillar).

Since my office is 50m from the car I was thinking of getting one of those wireless x10 cameras you see on the internet to enable me to look at it from my web-browser.

However i've yet to complete burning the cd-rom of the rsr-exhaust at: idle, 1500, 3, 4 & 6'500 rpm

Time for my medication again, where ARE those keys?....
Old 01-10-2002, 02:21 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 560 Posts
I just got back from the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas with my son. Woulda been about a 1 hour flight from the SF Bay Area, plus 3 hrs early checkin, etc for about $200 each. We drove down in 7h45m including lunch, gas, pit stops. After going further South to see the Hoover dam yesterday, we took the scenic route home through Death Valley. Total 1326 miles in 2 days of driving. Now I need your help to convince our accountant that we saved money taking the car. We did save cab fare in Vegas, but should we have slept in the car instead of the Luxor?
Old 01-10-2002, 02:39 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Terry

I have the same "problem"

I will collect my car from the factory service facility on 23/1. I "unfortunately" also have a number of meetings to attend so the schedule reads:

Stuttgart - Basle (overnight)

Basel - Geneva (overnight)

Geneva - Cap d'Antibes (3 nights ;-) )

Antibes - Milan (2 nights :-)))))) ))

Milan - Lugano (1 night :-) )

Lugano - Zurich (Overnight)

Zurich - Basle

On the road the total trip is approx 1350 Km's (835 miles)

The very best part though is given the horrendous costs of flying this route my company have agreed to pick up all the costs :-))))))))))))))

I'll probably bring a digital camera to snap my car in as many exotic places as possible - shame it isn't summer.......
Old 01-10-2002, 02:43 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes we all do all those things, which add to an already finite 24 hour day. What about the time we spend reading these posts and typing and not typing and...I gotta say though, since I've owned my pcar I've lost over twenty pounds and quit smoking (my 'ol thighs rubbed a sore spot between 'em and who could possibly think of smokin in one of these cars). That second part was worth every bit of 60K, so the rest is pure pleasure! But I would like to get away from the group for a little bit...
Old 01-10-2002, 03:37 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by NM98CAB:
<STRONG>Any thoughts on Steve Taub Porsche in Santa Monica? They are the originating dealer on my car, and there is a stamp from them in my maintenance book. I was thinking of driving on over there next week to get my oil changed, you know, to keep it all official and everything. </STRONG>
That's a good idea, but you should balance it out. In the summer, I suggest using Fred Baker, not far from Mid-Ohio.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:20 PM
t.p.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, this is not a problem. Be proud of yourselves. Those who should be ashamed are the ones w/ 80's and earlier 911's that haven't even cracked 30k miles. You know who you are. That's like marrying a model and having her sleep in the guestroom.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Griffin Brown
Advanced

I felt so alone -- like no one understood me -- until I read this post. Now at least I know there are all of you to keep me company!
Old 01-11-2002, 07:37 PM
acastell
Racer

Terry '98 993 Carrera S

Can you tell me the route you took to Vegas? I have to be in Vegas Mon - Fri next week. After reading your post, I may drive. Please e mail me privately at:
acastellino@yahoo.com
Old 01-12-2002, 01:46 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 560 Posts
castell, you have mail.

Out the Short (550 mi) and fast: 101 S, 152 E, 5 S, 58 W, 15 N.

Return the Long (670 mi), scenic and twisty: 160 W, 190 W (Death Valley sunsets are awesome), 395 S, 14 S, 178 W (a nice twisty that becomes 58 W as you cross 99 in Bakersfield), 5 N, 152 W, 101 N.

Either way, this is a long drive by yourself. I had the help of my 22 yr old son, from whose hands I could barely pry the wheel.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
You are all suffering from what is known as a "Personal Obsessive Rhetoric Subintrant Chrematistic Hodiernal Exuberance."

--Paul--

Quick Reply: Any psychiatrists out there? (long)