Sponsored by:

Taming the CAE Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Taming the CAE Shifter

I installed a CAE shifter which I really like. But, I wanted it to integrate into my interior a little better than the usual cutting of the console required.

I modified the console extending the opening for the shifter by moving the partition between shifter space and hand brake space rearward 1.25". I then built walls around the shifter space and shortened the cup under the hand brake, had it upholstered with a shift boot and here it is and how I did it:

The following users liked this post:
max911 (05-26-2022)
Old 04-21-2016, 03:25 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

I love the way you think....
Old 04-21-2016, 05:12 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Very nice. How different is the shift action vs. stock?

Andreas
Old 04-21-2016, 05:46 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Very different. My car has steel syncros so the shift is notchy anyway and it feels a bit more notchy and very short throw requires more effort of course, but not much. No slop.

Having the shift lever so close at hand feels great, but a bit strange until I got used to it. All the years of reaching down and right...now just to the right.

The CAE allows adjustment of the spring load that is on each side of the 3>4 gate. I have it so that I pull the lever straight back toward me against lateral stops for 1 >2 shift then just push straight forward for 3 and then back again for 4. No thought required it just goes where I want. Thought is required to get back into 1 >2 gate though against the spring loading. I could adjust differently.

The CAE also has adjustable stops for the left and right lateral movement which make hitting those more positive since stop in shifter rather than gearbox.

Reverse lock out adjustable and works easily.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:36 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Stop it!!!! I don't need any more projects. Very nice though (-:
Old 04-21-2016, 10:12 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome job! Absolutely perfect. Need to do something similar with the CAE shifter in my car. Congrats
Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Very different. My car has steel syncros so the shift is notchy anyway and it feels a bit more notchy and very short throw requires more effort of course, but not much. No slop.

Having the shift lever so close at hand feels great, but a bit strange until I got used to it. All the years of reaching down and right...now just to the right.

The CAE allows adjustment of the spring load that is on each side of the 3>4 gate. I have it so that I pull the lever straight back toward me against lateral stops for 1 >2 shift then just push straight forward for 3 and then back again for 4. No thought required it just goes where I want. Thought is required to get back into 1 >2 gate though against the spring loading. I could adjust differently.

The CAE also has adjustable stops for the left and right lateral movement which make hitting those more positive since stop in shifter rather than gearbox.

Reverse lock out adjustable and works easily.
Could you elaborate on the spring adjustment? I also have a CAE shifter and couldn't read the installation instructions (they were in German). So I've been trying to figure it out by tinkering. I have most adjustments spot on, and I understand most of the adjustments with the exception of the spring adjustment. Is it possible to adjust the "center point" for the shifter so that it will easily slip between 3rd and 4th gear? Mine seems like it's ever so slightly off laterally at rest, not *quite* lining up with the front to back 3-4 shift line. As a result, 3-4 shifts are a little bit slower and more deliberate than I'd like.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
Could you elaborate on the spring adjustment? I also have a CAE shifter and couldn't read the installation instructions (they were in German). So I've been trying to figure it out by tinkering. I have most adjustments spot on, and I understand most of the adjustments with the exception of the spring adjustment. Is it possible to adjust the "center point" for the shifter so that it will easily slip between 3rd and 4th gear? Mine seems like it's ever so slightly off laterally at rest, not *quite* lining up with the front to back 3-4 shift line. As a result, 3-4 shifts are a little bit slower and more deliberate than I'd like.
The adjustment with the Allen screw at the fork of the big coil spring under the shift stalk is it.

It is a zero sum adjustment, i.e. you can move the pressure from the 5>6 gate to the 1>2 gate and vice versa by moving that centering stop point of the spring. I have mine adjusted so the shifter leans a bit to the right in neutral, right at the edge of the 5>6 gate but still in the 3 > 4 gate.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:46 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SINY993er
Awesome job! Absolutely perfect. Need to do something similar with the CAE shifter in my car. Congrats
If you choose to do as I did, then note the console is made of ABS plastic which is very easy to work with. All you need is some ABS cement and some ABS 1/4" sheet plus some 2" ABS pipe which has exactly the same radius as the corners. ABS cement is unique in that it is ABS plastic in solution with solvents and can be used as a "Bondo" type filler as well as a cement. These materials a Dremel and some time will do it.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:03 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The adjustment with the Allen screw at the fork of the big coil spring under the shift stalk is it.

It is a zero sum adjustment, i.e. you can move the pressure from the 5>6 gate to the 1>2 gate and vice versa by moving that centering stop point of the spring. I have mine adjusted so the shifter leans a bit to the right in neutral, right at the edge of the 5>6 gate but still in the 3 > 4 gate.
That's EXACTLY the adjustment info I needed. Thank you kindly!

Now I can adjust that centering stop point so that it perfectly lines up with the 3>4 gate
Old 04-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
That's EXACTLY the adjustment info I needed. Thank you kindly!

Now I can adjust that centering stop point so that it perfectly lines up with the 3>4 gate
Old 12-24-2016, 01:54 AM
ekoges
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Which quick release hub is that?
Old 12-24-2016, 11:21 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ekoges
Which quick release hub is that?
Porsche Motorsport quick release on a Rothsport Hub.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:34 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Lovely
Old 09-25-2021, 11:55 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Reviving this from the archives.

Cupcar / Mr.Woolery - maybe you can weigh in here. I recently completed a laundry list of items on a friend's '95 993, including the installation of a CAE.

All went well, and it hits all of the gears without fiddling with any of the small limit screws. But, if you tug it too much towards the 'wall' while going into 1st, the mechanism moves a bit further than it needs to. The result is that it will not go into 1st until you go back to N and start again.

If you bring the lever towards you lightly, hit the 'wall' and push up, it goes into 1st (and 2nd) correctly. Do so in a hamfisted manner, and you can see & feel the additional movement it makes.
Any thoughts/suggestions?

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 09-25-2021 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (09-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Taming the CAE Shifter