Sponsored by:

MPL clutch slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 11:17 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default MPL clutch slave cylinder

My 993 has a lightweight flywheel and the RS clutch. For those of you that have this combo, the clutch can be pretty stiff/heavy. The combo of the free revving engine and a heavy clutch makes driving in the street a bit of a challenge. On the track it's probably perfect, but my car is a street car.

Anyway, with old age, my knee is complaining more and more about that clutch.

I bought a MPL clutch slave cylinder and installed it last night. I have to say that it worked VERY well. It really reduced the pedal to what a stock clutch is like. Clutch is very light and smooth. The engagement point moved from about half way to about 75-80% of the clutch pedal travel. But this is not an issue.

This little mod really made an improvement in the car for daily driving. Install is no more difficult than the stock slave.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:18 AM
axl911
Drifting

And yes, I did all the little things of replacing the master, slave, rubber line, bleeding, greasing the slave tip, etc.. But my clutch pedal pressure was still stiff before the MPL.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:19 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been thinking about this. I have been hoarding all the parts for my LWFW install. I was planning to replace the clutch slave with the OEM one. But thinking I might go this route. My car is a '95.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:20 AM
sand_man
Drifting

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...16.m2518.l4276
Old 04-08-2016, 11:35 AM
axl911
Drifting

The lowest one I saw was $220 and around $25 for shipping. Seemed the price changes depending on availability.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:39 AM
sand_man
Drifting

And you have to strip some of the parts off the original slave for this, right?
Old 04-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Search the 993tt forum for more info. I installed one on my former Turbo R and it was great. A few folks there have done it too. Maybe even a diy.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:59 AM
axl911
Drifting

Originally Posted by sand_man
And you have to strip some of the parts off the original slave for this, right?
Yeah....you transfer the spring, boot, and some clips over. There are threads on the 993 and 964 forum on this. It's pretty easy to do.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:02 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

The only issue I have found is, due to the larger bore on the MPL, is the engagement point lowers a bit - on some cars it's perfect, but on my car, where the engagement point is low to begin with. it pushed it to almost the floor.

I recently installed a new aggressive street clutch on Knight's TT, and converted the clutch activation to a manual system (the TT has a power assist via pressure from the steering pump), and his clutch was heavy. Installed a MPL, and it was perfect. The engagement point went down, but it was not significant

Cheers,

MIke
Old 04-09-2016, 02:07 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
The only issue I have found is, due to the larger bore on the MPL, is the engagement point lowers a bit - on some cars it's perfect, but on my car, where the engagement point is low to begin with. it pushed it to almost the floor.

I recently installed a new aggressive street clutch on Knight's TT, and converted the clutch activation to a manual system (the TT has a power assist via pressure from the steering pump), and his clutch was heavy. Installed a MPL, and it was perfect. The engagement point went down, but it was not significant

Cheers,

MIke
Mike, can you determine why the difference btwn the engagement of the clutch on your and Knights car. Would like to do this, but really wouldn't want clutch at (or near) floor, especially at the track. Any reason why it would be different btwn any of the TTs. Simplicity is one of the main draws for the MPL.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:11 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have installed several 993 clutches, including both Knights and mine, so I am pretty sure my procedure is consistent. Both clutches were bought from Kevin, but about two years apart. In those two years, kevin seems to have changed both the PP and clutch disk that is part of the kit. I have the part numbers somewhere, but the fundemental difference is Knight's PP has more clamping pressure, and hence is a heavier clutch.

I do not know why the engagement points are different. For both installations, everything was replaced including the clutch fork. But, since the PP and disk are different, I am assuming that my setup just has a lower engagement point.

To you, it does not matter - its where YOUR engagement point is. If its about center, the MPL will work fine. If its close to the floor, not so much.

Maybe next winter I will take the time and drop the trnasmission again. I have done lots of other work on the car this winter, so the clutch engagement is not a problem, even with a fairly heavy pedal.

Cheers

Mike

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Mike, can you determine why the difference btwn the engagement of the clutch on your and Knights car. Would like to do this, but really wouldn't want clutch at (or near) floor, especially at the track. Any reason why it would be different btwn any of the TTs. Simplicity is one of the main draws for the MPL.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:38 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Had the dreaded stuck to the floor pedal and changed kinematic lever, master cylinder, flexy and MPL.
10 yrs ago and never looked back. LWF fitted later (best performance mod). Occasional (rare) stall and gearbox chatter feels like another 50bhp in the lower gears. Or should that be lbs/ft?

Quick Reply: MPL clutch slave cylinder