Porsche 993 cab stone dead after sitting years in the garage

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 01:23 AM
911cedric
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 993 cab stone dead after sitting years in the garage

Hi All,

i've decided to bring back to life a 95' 993 cab tiptronic which was sitting in my garage for about 5 years. The car needed a new paint and new roof; done. I've just completed the big engine service including lower engine seals which was due.

The thing now is that the car just won't start.
The car has no remote, just a key and the remote function is OFF in the alarm computer. The car locks and unlocks correctly but the alarm doesn't seem to activate unless i turn the key again in close position. Then it will blink twice, thus showing there’s a problem somewhere.

I can't remember if there is an aftermarket alarm, and haven't found any evidence there is one. A lot of aftermarket junks were installed, like a radio with an amplifier in the trunk and another radio related box bolted in the passenger side floor.

For a start, the immobilizer light doesn’t turn off; the starter doesn’t launch; there is no juice coming to the DME relay when turning ignition ON; no click, thus no fuel pump activation. I swapped the relay with another car with not result. I tried to plug the car to the PST2 and couldn't connect the DME. The alarm computer was giving a bunch of error codes; i have to pull them tomorrow.

So to sum up the situation:
- car has no remote / remote function OFF
- car locks from the doors
- alarm light blinks twice
- do not know if there is an after market alarm
- radio junks have been added, wiring mods
- immobilizer light ON
- no DME relay activation
- starter won’t launch

given all the infos, i suspect either the immobilizer is dead or there is an aftermarket junk cutting off the DME

any thought?
cheers
Old 04-08-2016, 05:12 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

If the Porsche Drive Block immobilizer indicator lamp is installed and lits, you have a immobilizer that needs to be unlocked in order to be able to start the engine, as well as contact the DME via OBD.
Do you have a Porsche Drive Block control module? It is placed under the driving seat, under a tamper-proof shield, alongside the DME.
The alarm/door lock module may be changed in the past, or the setting in question manipulated.
However, this is probably not the problem, you need to unlock the Porsche Drive Block. If you do not have any security code or immobilizer key fobs, I guess the simplest would be to disable the Drive Block by installing a non-drive block DME (or maybe installing a new memory in the existing) and the necessary relay replacement in the fuse box.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 04-08-2016, 08:07 AM
911cedric
Intermediate

Hi Tore,

yes the car has the M530 option; thus an immobilizer
I should remove the seat and see what's going on underneath.
I guess if a factory alarm has been installed, the original wiring harness
from the immobilizer and ECU will be modified?

Indeed, a non-drive block DME would be great but if i can just find and remove an aftermarket alarm, reconnect as original, activate with the PST2 the remote function and reprogram a key fob i think i'll be ahead of my time and money
Old 04-08-2016, 12:59 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you try getting a key fob remote first?
Old 04-08-2016, 04:13 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

For starters, how much voltage at the battery terminals? This could be the root of the issues noted.

I guess if a factory alarm has been installed, the original wiring harness from the immobilizer and ECU will be modified?
I don't think so...I believe Porsche made one harness to fit all apps, and just left portions unplugged depending on the application.

Do you have the 4 digit code card for your Drive Block immobilizer? (Not to be confused with your radio code card)
Old 04-08-2016, 04:34 PM
911cedric
Intermediate

Hi Vince,

i'll ultimately get a key fob and indeed reprogram,
but i need to make sure there is nothing in the way, otherwise i won't be able to program it or start the car if another alarm is installed.

What bothers me is that last time i checked the remote function was turned off in the alarm computer; i need to verify again

I checked the immobilizer; the rivets have been removed previously, so something has been done there. I saw a jumper installed on the wiring harness near the ECU connectors for the o2 sensors; i guess there is a cat bypass which is bad news because it won't pass smog inspection here, so i need to refit a system if it was removed.

I don't know where the aftermarket alarm systems are usually installed and how they are connected to the car; do they use the immobilizer?
Old 04-08-2016, 04:47 PM
911cedric
Intermediate

hi nine9six,
there is plenty of current; i have several new batteries at the garage.

Unfortunately i don't have the immobilizer code; i got this car long ago as a project car and it was sitting under a thick layer of dust in my garage for years

the immobilizer just won't turn off as i have no remote. the light stays on and the PST2 cannot access the DME. I also suspect there was an aftermarket alarm installed and do not know where to look.
I checked under the driver and passenger seat, and everything is there connected correctly.
What bothers me is that last time i checked the alarm computer was indicating that no keyfob was programmed and that the remote function was off. I could double check though.

The alarm doesn't seem to work, as i cannot hear anything from the car when i lock it with the trunk or a door open; the red light is blinking twice when locked, but that's it. I think that if a keyfob was programmed and the alarm activated, if you open the car with the key only, the alarm will be triggered. I have to check on the other cars. I also noticed that when the contact is on and doors are open, there is no bell, which is quite odd

The car was running before as i parked it myself. But it was like 5 years ago and cannot remember if there was a factory or aftermarket remote.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:51 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

I would get the immobilizer code from a dealer and program a key with it.

/
Old 04-09-2016, 09:47 AM
ricks993
Racer

Any dealer can get you the code as fatmike noted. You will also need " Alarm Hand Remote" it is the button you push to disable the alarm it is Porsche part # 99361825902
Old 04-09-2016, 11:23 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Or, you could have the immobilizer deactivated in the DME. Most ECU shops charge about $400 to do that. You'll also need to replace the starter relay with a jumper relay which costs less than $50. Once done, the car should start.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:24 PM
911cedric
Intermediate

thanks for the suggestions;
i will swing by the dealer and ask them the immobilizer code and a couple of remotes; i have to pick up a load of new parts for the interior restoration anyway

I will also remove the passenger seat and check if anything is connected to the alarm computer; it seems like some aftermarket alarm systems are sometime connected to this box.
If there is nothing there, it is very likely that i lost the remote; i just don't understand why the alarm computer reads that the remote function is OFF

I guess if an alarm system was installed afterward, it would connect either the immobilizer or the alarm computer; would you know where else it could be connected?
Old 04-09-2016, 04:24 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Where are you reading that the remote function is off. Is this an OBDC read item? What module. I have never seen such a thing on my 96'?
Old 04-09-2016, 05:23 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Where are you reading that the remote function is off. Is this an OBDC read item? What module. I have never seen such a thing on my 96'?
Andy, on his PST2 (Porsche System Tester), which is much better than any generic OBDII reader.

To the OP,
If you go to the dealer, be sure to have reg or ownership title in your name.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:33 PM
911cedric
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pp000830
i have a PST2, and i found that in the alarm computer module; i'll take a screenshot monday. I normally can program the alarm to recognize the new keys by entering the key identification number in the pst2 or put the system in learn mode with the alarm 4 digits code and connect the remotes

Quick Reply: Porsche 993 cab stone dead after sitting years in the garage