FYI: New emissions testing in California

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 01:32 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default FYI: New emissions testing in California

Perhaps all of you are already aware of this, but I was not. Effective October, as in NOW, in addition to tripling the renewal fees, the emissions testing fee doubled (now $100) because the state forced all the testers to put in essentially a dynomometer to the tune of $50-60k.

The test consists of backing the car up onto the rollers, strapping her in and then weighing, testing emissions at idle, something like 3 mph, and then 25 mph... the tech almost plays a video game, watching the screen and keeping the speed +/- 1 mph.

Needless to say it was quite harrowing watching my baby hooked up to this and having someone play video games with her.

On the up side, having done an autocross a couple of weeks ago (I figure that qualifies as an Italian tune up) and making sure I brought her in hot, she passed with flying colors, roughly half of any allowable levels of anything, sometimes even less.

Just letting you folks know the new stuff if you weren't aware.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:55 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts

We have had that system up here in Seattle for a while. The techs here are not willing to assume the liability for damaging someone's expensive Porsche, so they have always let me sit in the car and run it up on the dyno. These are state operated facilities, so it's a bit different than CA. I watched the techs have a heart attack when a guy brought in his C4S. They couldn't believe that it was AWD!
Old 10-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm - time to buy exclusively AWD cars? Would DOUBT the dynos can handle them (then again, I could be wrong).
Old 10-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: FYI: New emissions testing in California

Originally posted by JPS
Perhaps all of you are already aware of this, but I was not. Effective October, as in NOW, in addition to tripling the renewal fees, the emissions testing fee doubled (now $100) because the state forced all the testers to put in essentially a dynomometer to the tune of $50-60k.

The test consists of backing the car up onto the rollers, strapping her in and then weighing, testing emissions at idle, something like 3 mph, and then 25 mph... the tech almost plays a video game, watching the screen and keeping the speed +/- 1 mph.

Needless to say it was quite harrowing watching my baby hooked up to this and having someone play video games with her.

On the up side, having done an autocross a couple of weeks ago (I figure that qualifies as an Italian tune up) and making sure I brought her in hot, she passed with flying colors, roughly half of any allowable levels of anything, sometimes even less.

Just letting you folks know the new stuff if you weren't aware.

This is only required in areas the state of CA determines to be "ENHANCED AREAS" Here in Santa Barbara we are not an "enhanced" area, so our smog machines do not require the rollers.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:04 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

For the last several years I have had that dyno emissions test run on my Cobra and my wife's Expedition. The test you describe sounds like what I did in 2001 and again in 2003. I'm not sure why you think it is new?

I haven't yet had to have a smog test done on the Porsche (previous owner did it during the transfer... done at the Newport Beach Porsche dealer). I wonder what the local smog shop will do with that AWD?
Old 10-10-2003, 02:06 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Phil,

Can a Ventura county guy get an emission test in a "unenhanced" county? My Cobra is one hydrocarbon away from flunking the test.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:08 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a post recently, I think on the 996TT board, stating that AWD cars were exempt from the dynos. That would be nice if it is true. Any AWD had an experience with this yet???

Also, I was under the impression the there were no longer Enhanced Areas. All CA smog checks were to be done on dyno's now. That is what the smog station told me in March of this year as they were not sure if they were going to make the invested required to continue with the inspections.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ca993twin
Phil,

Can a Ventura county guy get an emission test in a "unenhanced" county? My Cobra is one hydrocarbon away from flunking the test.
Nope!! I just ran into this problem. I bought some cars from an LA auction, When I tried too smog them, we found out they all had to go to an "enhanced area" to be smogged!!!

here is the link to ca smog
Old 10-10-2003, 02:40 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe SF is a NEW enhanced area, because everyone is installing these new here...the first place I went to didn't even have the install completed yet...
Old 10-10-2003, 03:18 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by viperbob
There was a post recently, I think on the 996TT board, stating that AWD cars were exempt from the dynos. That would be nice if it is true. Any AWD had an experience with this yet???
When I read the articles in the newspaper a couple of months ago it specifically stated that 4WD/AWD vehicles were exempt from the dyno portion of the test: The mandated dyno equipment could not deal with anything but 2WD.

Tom
Old 10-10-2003, 03:28 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

We just got something similar in Dallas this year but it only applies to vehicle models 1995 and older. I've got a '96 and all they do is check the ODBII for error codes, no dyno. The local dealer won't inspect anything older than a '96. Some of the guys with '93 993 got hosed because they had to go to some Joe Shmoe to get their car inspected.

My other vehicle is a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the quadra track, all time four wheel drive. I didn’t have to put it on a dyno because all wheel drive vehicles that could not be put in two wheel drive were exempt. I still had to pay the $40 fee.

George
Old 10-10-2003, 05:12 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hey Bob - you need to move out here to Half Moon Bay - I just checked the link Phil posted and HMB is not an" enhanced area."
Old 10-10-2003, 06:13 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Bill,

HMB is not an 'Enhaced Area" nor is it an area frequently visited by the sun. I think I'll stay here and take my chances with the dyno. You and your wife have any events planned soon? I'll be at Thunderhill next Friday for TraqMasters..
Old 10-10-2003, 06:26 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi TomF,

I just had mine (RWD) tested here in Renton (Washington St.) and did not have to go on the dyno. They did hook right up to the OBD II and dump some info. I don't even think I had to run the car. OBD II is like big brother!

I remember a few years ago I had my Audi V8 in and they didn't run it on the dyno as is was awd. They did put a device on the hood to pick up the pulses from the distibutor so they could get rpm, they did't know it had 2 distributors so I ended up running at twice the rpm to get the video screen to stay in the right numbers. It was zipping along at 4000 rpm!
Old 10-10-2003, 07:34 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Bob,

Maybe... just maybe AWD cars will be exempted from the dreaded dyno. Cat bypasses; here I come.
BTW, I did my first DIY last night (assuming you don't count adding air to the tires as a DIY). I swapped out my camshafts. Haha. Actually, I changed that little headlight switch illumination bulb. Sure, you may laugh... but we all have to start somewhere. Now, hand me those camshafts.

Quick Reply: FYI: New emissions testing in California