Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OBD I connector question, and diagnostic tool advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 02:15 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 109 Posts
Default OBD I connector question, and diagnostic tool advice?

My car is a 1/95 build, but appears to have the later style rectangular OBD I connection, as opposed to the round connector. (See photo.) If this is the case, it is my understanding I can use an OBD II cable to connect to this port. Is this correct?

I am trying to decide if it will be worthwhile to invest in diagnostic software, and if so, which is the best fit for me. I also own an '08 Cayman S, so I am leaning towards Durametric so I can use the software on both cars.

My 993 does have Drive Block, and from reading up on the Durametric page and several threads here, it seems this can be issue with using the scan software. Durametric, however, states if the software is started with the car running, the Drive Block is bypassed. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I will be calling Durametric on Monday to discuss.

Would anyone recommend any other options (preferably for use on both cars), and if so, why?

Thank you!
Old 03-13-2016, 05:24 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a 1995 with the rectangular OBD-I connector. I use Tore's T-OBD shown here:

http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/...agnostics.html

All you need to complete this setup is ScanTool software, downloaded free from the same link, and a laptop.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:13 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyT
I have a 1995 with the rectangular OBD-I connector. I use Tore's T-OBD shown here:

http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/...agnostics.html

All you need to complete this setup is ScanTool software, downloaded free from the same link, and a laptop.
This is certainly an option.

Does your '95 have Drive Block, and if so, have you been able to connect to all functions including the DME? There are a number of threads about having to do wiring modifications to connect to the DME on Drive Block cars, and then other which seem to state the car simply needs to be unlocked and the key used to turn on the car, but not start it.

Can you tell me what your experience has been?

Thank you!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:22 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Speedy,

I also have a '95 with OBD1 and the oblong plug. I use the scantool software and the cable from Tore. I do recommend the software, but I have to do a little "tweaking" to get the DME module to connect. May work for you.

First, make sure drive block is cleared, then key on, USB working on other modules to confirm proper setup. Then switch to "DME" on tool and software. While looking at the plug at OBD, you should see a light on connector. Pull the connector out slightly, so the light flickers, and back in. You may need to do this a few times to get the hang of this. the flicker needs to be brief. Not sure why this works or the mechanics behind it, but pretty easy now to do for me.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:39 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't have Drive Block. Tore's T-OBD is plug-and-play for my car.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:48 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW...you know you can manually pull the codes on your OBD-1 using the gas pedal method right?

Last edited by axl911; 03-14-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:10 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by techman1
Speedy,

I also have a '95 with OBD1 and the oblong plug. I use the scantool software and the cable from Tore. I do recommend the software, but I have to do a little "tweaking" to get the DME module to connect. May work for you.

First, make sure drive block is cleared, then key on, USB working on other modules to confirm proper setup. Then switch to "DME" on tool and software. While looking at the plug at OBD, you should see a light on connector. Pull the connector out slightly, so the light flickers, and back in. You may need to do this a few times to get the hang of this. the flicker needs to be brief. Not sure why this works or the mechanics behind it, but pretty easy now to do for me.
This is good to know, thank you. I have not seen mention of this work around in other threads.

Originally Posted by axl911
BTW...you know you can manually pull the codes on your OBD-1 using the gas pedal method right?
I do. Thank you.

Quick Reply: OBD I connector question, and diagnostic tool advice?