993 Forum 1995-1998

Speed Supreme - Total 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 01:38 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speed Supreme - Total 911

I finally got the January 2016 edition of Total 911 (issue #135). There is a very thorough article (“Speed Supreme”) on RLer Jaeger’s 993 Speedster, including his path to ownership and his process of creating “Speedy” as it is now. The article is very revealing of the mental and physical journey. While there are numerous interesting elements in the article, what resonated most with me was the shared thought that the 993 is the best looking 911, and the 993 Cab just doesn’t work as well with the top down. Jaeger’s answer (as well as that of RLers Graham, JP and Arpad) was a 993 Speedster. Gotta love those decisions! Anyone interested in the build of a Speedster should check out the article. It is a difficult journey putting the pieces together, both for the owner and the builder. BarneyNoble has the issue.

For more detailed examination of the physical process, Graham, JP, and Arpad had their builds done by NineMeister in the U.K. copiously documented on RennList. The 9M pictures of the build of Graham’s Cobalt Blue Speedster was mind-boggling, only to followed by 9M’s build of JP’s Arena Red and Arpad’s Glacier White Speedsters on RL. Finally, 9M built and documented on RL a fourth Speedster in Tangerine Orange. Those guys at 9M are artisans/craftsmen, as is well known by the RL community. The finished product of a 9M build is an “as-new” 993 Speedster - 9M should be re-characterized as a Porsche manufacturing company. They are every bit the equal to or more than Ruf and Singer.

In any event, for those of us who feel that the 993 is the ultimate aesthetically, we are fortunate to have a ton of info about the Speedster process. Check out Total 911 issue #135 and Jaeger’s “Speedy.”

Last edited by 600RR; 02-08-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:29 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 600RR

Check out Total 911 issue #135 and Jaeger’s “Speedy.”
Thanks, Sid ^^

I was obligated to be out of the country when Total 911 wanted their photo-shoot.

As usual, NOTHING would have been possible without Rennlisters:
a RL success story of amazing friends doing everything while I trekked to Mt. Everest...

From garaging 'Speedy' for a month to taking care of all logistics, RLers SpdKlz & ProducerJohn made everything happen.
I can't thank them enough

Total911.com's web preview -- "Stunning Shots of a Super Rare Porsche 993 Speedster:"
Originally Posted by Josh Barnett

We all know that Porsche only ever built two 993 Speedsters, right? And neither of these were official production models. One went to Ferdinand ‘Butzi’ Porsche in 1995 as a 60th birthday present while the other was created for Jerry Seinfeld.

The lack of a genuine 911 Speedster in Porsche’s 993 line-up has lead people to convert cars to the iconic open-top style however, none of these builds get any better than the car before you.

A true labour of love, this Guards Red Porsche 993 Speedster was created using a host of official factory parts and it looks simply stunning, so much so that we just had to share this super septet of shots.

To read the whole story of this Porsche 993 Speedster, pick up Total 911 issue 135 in store today. Alternatively, order your copy online for home delivery, or download it straight to your digital device now.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:11 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Was killing some time last night and wandered into my local Barnes and Noble book store. ...BAM! There's a pic of "Speedy" sticking out at the top of the magazine on the top shelf.

Very cool article. If you're like me and like to hide out in the automotive section of the book store every now and then, check it out.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:21 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Very cool Jager!
Old 02-12-2016, 09:55 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sid-- With our shared appreciation of Ralph Boothe's artistry:

Enjoy the close-up shot up his perfectly-centered center cap?
Originally Posted by sdcabrio

Very cool
Originally Posted by Knight

Very cool
Very cool of Total 911's photographer to share this shot with a fellow RLer's ride
View this post on Instagram
Old 02-12-2016, 11:32 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Knight

Baron-- Thank you, sir ^^

last night wandered into my local Barnes and Noble book store.

Very cool article. If you're like me, check it out.
Brian-- #135's just arriving at Barnes & Nobles now, yet glad it was on your shelves!
Heard my local stores already sold out ... after 1 day

If anyone finds it stocked elsewhere at better bookstores throughout N. America, please post here for RLers' benefit.

For those who haven't seen it in your mailbox or local store: order it here, or instantly download it here.

BAM! There's "Speedy" at the top of the magazine.
Isn't it all-too rare to see a 993 get "top billing" &/or dominate covers these days?

Kudos to Total 911 Magazine for their 993 faith

Old 02-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 361 Posts

Great to see guys like Jager and Rudy getting some deserved press.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:18 PM
spdklz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epic event

Some behind the scenes pics of the big event!

Isn't it all-too rare to see a 993 get "top billing" &/or dominate covers these days?
^^^Jager, hope this is the beginning of a 993 dominated cover run!!

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by spdklz; 02-15-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:53 PM
spdklz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More pics

Originally Posted by spdklz

Old 02-14-2016, 04:55 PM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats Jager, your speedster is a work of art which I would love to see in person one day perhaps at the Hershey PA meet? hehe
Going to pick up a copy today .

edit: spdklz, your car is sick!!^^
Old 02-15-2016, 11:38 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sander97C2

spdklz, your car is sick!!
+993 ^^ plus the man-cave garage & all his accoutrements therein.

Going to pick up a copy today.
Sander-- Hope they had 1 waiting for you

Congrats Jager, your speedster is a work of art which I would love to see in person one day perhaps at the Hershey PA meet? hehe
As luscious as yours looks with new HREs, I should be the one giving compliments
"Speedy" has been coast to coast twice when invited to the NY International Auto Show, so she could get to the Hershey swap-meet again.

Ryan's Hershey photos of Speedy trying in vain to look as good as das Cactus-wagen:

Stumbled on this Instagram post of Speedy's last Pennsylvania visit:
View this post on Instagram
Old 02-16-2016, 12:36 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 600RR
the 993 Cab just doesn’t work as well with the top down.”
Jager's car is spectacular!

Being fortunate to own both cabrio and coupes, the statement quoted couldn't be further from the truth.

Having the top down on warm summer nights and looking up at a million stars while listening to the rhythm of the flat six is intoxicating.

Anyone who would imply otherwise is full of baloney.

A speedster is not that different style-wise from a normal production cabrio. There is not a whole lot of difference when looking heavenwards or breathing in the cool evening air.

If anything, the speedster shell's curvature head surrounds would isolate/block the glorious sound of our flat sixes whereas my windstop does not.

Regards,

Last edited by Cemoto; 02-16-2016 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:46 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Heard my local stores already sold out ... after 1 day
And I wonder why that is!

The behind-the-scenes photos are great.

Still trying to find the magazine myself. I've come close, found #134 with the teaser on the back fold.

Congratulations on yet another well-deserved magazine feature!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:29 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts
Default front plate

Why don't you remove the front plate and take your chances like many of us!
I saw the car at Rennsport and felt likewise.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:30 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Of all the questions never asked, glad to field this one ^^
Originally Posted by fsa

Why don't you remove the front plate and take your chances!
Historical precedence, & desire not to make a road-side 'donation' to police...
Never heard of "arrest me" red?

History shows 1989 G-model 911 Speedsters (Speedy's inspiration) were never produced from the factory with "Speedster" badges.

G-model press cars had promotional plates made with the company's 1989 "Speedster" logo.

Speedy's current SPDSTER license plate efficiently proclaims the type of variant Speedy is ... and is a legal requirement.

My 2009 front plate installation inspired other Speedsters & hopefully saved them traffic tickets.

Combined with Speedy's custom "993" badge on the rear decklid &/or the custom "993" license plate frame, the plates provide subtle 'badging' as a 993 Speedster. No need for a larger Speedster deck-lid badge which was not OEM on G-models.

Narrow-body in CAR Magazine:

Quick Reply: Speed Supreme - Total 911