993 Forum 1995-1998

Should this be connected?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:56 PM
RJKK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should this be connected?

In the process of wiring the override switch for the oil cooler fan and saw this when I pulled out the CCU. Looks like a vacuum activated arm for the vent flap behind it.

I'm thinking the black and gold arms should be attached?
Old 02-06-2016, 08:16 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to this photo excerpt from this website > > > http://www.bergvillfx.com/porschehvac2

the answer is yes, the linkage should be connected to the activation arm.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:56 PM
RJKK
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the picture! Had no idea where to search for this issue. Looks like its connected with a small black nut and bolt. I didn't find any pieces back there or on the floor that look similar, but no telling how long that's been disconnected.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:00 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An email to Mr. Bergvill may will undoubtedly yield a reply with the fastener information to connect the items. Mr. Bergvill is a vendor and by the numerous threads on this forum; a most appreciated and valuable contributor to the car and maintenance of our 993s.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:03 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Very common problem. I used a tiewrap through the hole for a quick fix.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:40 PM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been searching for a thread like this. Where is the DIY how to pull the CCU to fix that? I am sure mine is disconnected too. Help!
Old 02-07-2016, 10:15 AM
RJKK
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input here. While nobody wants a problem, it's good to know when one is fairly common and easy to fix. Agree completely on Mr. Bergvill. Class act and has been super helpful with a couple of lighting projects!

For the CCU removal question, there are good instructions in threads I used for the oil cooler fan override and switch placement. Also good instructions in the pcar diy site below.

http://p-car.com/diy/fanswitch/

Thanks All!
Old 02-11-2016, 02:07 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this same problem and fixed it with a small bolt, nut and some Lock-Tite on the nut. I used a piece of tubing to pull a vacuum on the actuator under the dash to get it where I needed to line it up. It was a PITA. Patience and some hand gymnastics/yoga/contortion was required to get everything together and bolted.

If you've ever heard a THUNK from within your dash center, it might be this flapper closing at random due to being loose. I found it when I was servicing the fan on the CCU and the CCU front panel to fix the intermittent AC button (lots of electrical contact cleaner and actuating the buttons/sliders).

Tore's site will reveal all to you....
Old 02-11-2016, 02:36 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
These two arms should indeed be connected with a plastic ****. I have seen several of these missing, the easiest fix is using a nylon tie wrap.
Be sure to test the resirculation flap by pressing the resirc button on the CCU. Sometimes the rubber bend hose become dislocated, as well as the vacuum hoses at the resirc flap valve in the frunk.
Cheers,
Tore

Quick Reply: Should this be connected?