Sponsored by:

Surflex or Leatherique long term updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:50 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DoninDen
Joanne at Surflex reached out to me after seeing my order and advised that I only need a pint kit for a 911. Joanne and her husband own the company and I thought that was above and beyond for an owner to reach out and make sure I wasn't buying too much! She said she looks at every order and tries to make sure it makes sense for what the customer is trying to do.
Great to know that the great customer service matches the product. Thx for sharing!
Old 02-24-2016, 12:56 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Anybody have tips they'd like to ad about dyeing around non-dye items for example the metal portion on a tequipment shifter or ebrake handle? without getting any on the metal but getting the dye completely all the way to the metal? Does it clean off while wet?
Old 02-24-2016, 01:24 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
Anybody have tips they'd like to ad about dyeing around non-dye items for example the metal portion on a tequipment shifter or ebrake handle? without getting any on the metal but getting the dye completely all the way to the metal? Does it clean off while wet?
It's just like paint. Probably some sort of latex paint. Just mask things off. As matter of fact, the process is exactly like painting.... thin coats, avoid brush mark, spray using paint sprayer to get even finish.

BTW, this stuff also comes in clear. I dyed my shift **** boot. I then put a coat of clear to give it a bit more protection. Still no noticeable wear even after 10 years. The clear came from Leatherique with their steering wheel kit.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:05 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks Axl.

Can anyone recommend a specific paint sprayer to purchase for diy and/or a business that does re-dying that they have been 'completely satisfied' with as the saying goes....

apologies to op for thread hijacking.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:07 PM
axl911
Drifting

Originally Posted by JB 911
Thanks Axl.

Can anyone recommend a specific paint sprayer to purchase for diy and/or a business that does re-dying that they have been 'completely satisfied' with as the saying goes....

apologies to op for thread hijacking.
I actually used this cheap $13 sprayer with my tire filling compressor. Thinned the Surflex down with some water. It worked really well!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...gun-92126.html

There are other sprayers that HF sell that may work better. Chose this one b/c of my small compressor.

I would only use the brush for the first thin coat and into the seams. But you really need a sprayer to get a professional finish. No way around it. Tried it with every type of brush, and nothing worked better than a sprayer for the final coat.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:39 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
I actually used this cheap $13 sprayer with my tire filling compressor. Thinned the Surflex down with some water. It worked really well!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...gun-92126.html

There are other sprayers that HF sell that may work better. Chose this one b/c of my small compressor.

I would only use the brush for the first thin coat and into the seams. But you really need a sprayer to get a professional finish. No way around it. Tried it with every type of brush, and nothing worked better than a sprayer for the final coat.
Thanks for sharing. What is the data for the tire compressor (maybe model details) and did you get continuous spray?
Old 02-26-2016, 04:20 PM
axl911
Drifting

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Thanks for sharing. What is the data for the tire compressor (maybe model details) and did you get continuous spray?
It was something equivalent to this which is very low CFM. But I would say that it worked well with the small sprayer. I would now get the bigger model for not much more money.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-1...sor-60637.html

Heck...if you live in Dallas and want to borrow my compressor (I have the slightly larger one now), just stop by.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:39 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't see myself needing a compressor.
Would it work with a basic airbrush kit and using this as an air source?

http://www.michaels.com/badger-prope.../10093744.html

I guess it all depends on how much air you actually need for an application. Any thoughts?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:13 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Guys, for $80, you can buy a 3.5 gallon Porter Cable compressor that should work for this project. You can also use it to fill up your tires and blow out your hoses for winter. I love my PC compressor.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:04 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 545 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyp
I don't see myself needing a compressor.
Would it work with a basic airbrush kit and using this as an air source?

http://www.michaels.com/badger-prope.../10093744.html

I guess it all depends on how much air you actually need for an application. Any thoughts?
Worth a try. I am interested to know as well since i have a small badger airbrush and small compressor.

Quick Reply: Surflex or Leatherique long term updates