RS wheels: need good info

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts
Question RS wheels: need good info

I am totally obsessed with the RS wheels on 993s at the moment. Probably cannot afford them yet, nor is my car at the correct height yet, but still...

I have heard that they are heavy... I have seen them sold by countless vendors, so I assume there are several imitations out there... A few questions, if you please:

- Who makes the lightest, best quality ones
- Are they heavier in 17" than my stock 17" wheels ? (96 C2)
- What should I expect to pay in 17" size ? Is it "silly" not to go 18"? (l like the current ride quality and tire choice)
- Are the real ones silver, or polished, or both ?

I promise I won't ask again ;-) Thanks in advance!

PS: On another note, I got pulled over this morning! My excuse was that I was following 2 trucks blocking the left lane and pelting my windshield with crap. So yeah, I did pass them by the right in a slightly aggressive manner (6th to 4th, zoom zoom) and did exceed the speed limit doing so, big time... I guess I like my car to remain un-chipped.... The officier was in a good mood - either that or being polite, apologetic, and having a FHP charity sticker paid dividends, but he let me go with a warning !!! wopp-dee-doo... A friendly police officer who listened to my plight, imagine that ! My faith in humanity is restored for the time being!
Old 10-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:

I can't help with your questions but I can feed your '993 with RS wheels' obsession!
Old 10-03-2003, 12:41 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

That very car is my desktop backgroud already (the RS, not the 2-CV)... Go ahead, rub salt in it !!!

%$##$@#!!! ;-)
Old 10-03-2003, 01:24 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg, I was having the same thoughts and it finally came down to overall cost/benefit/spousal influence. I finally narrowed my choice to MY02 5 spokes and Technology/Turbo Twists and ended up with a slightly used set of Twists (thanks to Sloth). IMHO it all depends on what youre really trying to achieve - an RS replica means a very steep and expensive slippery slope - which is out of my budget. For the difference in price between the RS wheels and the Twists, I now know that there are PSS9s and more goodies coming in the future.
Last night, I ordered new Michelin Pilots instead of something cheaper because I saved so much on the wheels. Costco was a few dollars better than Tirerack AND they've got a new tire mounting machine that doesn't touch the rim.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg:

FWIW, I to was bitten by the RS bug. Just look at mny avatar !

I have the genuine RS wheels and although folks go on and on about how heavy the are, they have held up better than other modular wheels I have owned.

As example, I did a 1600 mile "Monte Carlo" rally last year that had over 30 miles off-road. After the rally, I thought I would be buying many favors and a large bill from my local wheel guy. When I took the wheels down for a check out, runouts were minimal and no buckles or cracks. I was amazed.v In the end, I am pleased that the extra weight might be saving me a lot of rim half replacements... Hope you join the rest of us RS freaks !

Regards.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although not RS wheels, I really like these Gemballa wheels:

Click for a larger pic....

They kinda of look RS like..
Old 10-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

>I have the genuine RS wheels and although folks go on and on about how heavy the are

How much heavier are they than the stock 17" or the Kinesis Supercup ? Anyone knows ?

thanks !
Old 10-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Greg:

I can offer a little help. Like others, I have the OEM RS wheels which are extremely heavy. I only use them with street tires for street driving so; I really don’t care about the weight. I have also had the Kinesis “Supercup” wheels which were lighter. There is a recent thread where someone pointed out that the Kinesis wheels will not clear the Big Red calipers unless you tell them that you have Big Reds. I think the same thread also pointed out that the Kinesis Supercups use 17” centers. This is true, but not a big deal. The Kinesis Supercup is one of the most accurate copies of the RS wheel I have ever seen. I had three sets of the Kinesis Supercups that I used for the track for several years and they held up very very well. If you go to Robin’s web site (Mr. P-Car) and look at my pictures, www.p-car.com/hank the red car has the Kinesis wheels in some of the pictures. At the bottom of that page under RS Project, you will see the OEM RS wheels.

Hank
Old 10-04-2003, 05:40 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Genuine RS wheels".....are these the ones that are made by Speedline and sold by Gert @ Carnewel? Aren't these 18" RS wheels also made with 17" centers like the Kinesis Supercups?

Roygarth--your car looks SWEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
'86 coupe

Quick Reply: RS wheels: need good info