Sponsored by:

C4S wanted, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 03:42 AM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rod

Go down and see Ray at RPM.....he is reasonable when he buys right, but if he went high, he seems to hold tight......I have owned Porsches for almost 30 years....today's deal will likely bite you in the *** tomorrow...it can happen quick and your "flip" is gone...don't ask me how I know

These folks love and know this model.....it is like getting help from the best lawyer in town for free......

I have communicated with Viken for two years....it is an honest, genuine opportunity if you are a true Porsche addict.....if you are not sure go buy a car from RPM......he will buy it back at a small discount
Old 10-03-2003, 07:30 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

My C4S is still fairly new to me, but like Laurence 97 C4S, I don't think that just because a car has low miles necessarily means it's trouble.

I purchased my C4S w/18K miles. This was the PO's 4th 911 and they had been driving Porsches for the last 25 yrs. I lucked up on this car because when I found it, it was sold but the PO had some issues with the buyer and their lack of "love for Porsche". After many long talks about Porsche, Engineering, etc, the PO decided to sell me the car. The PO went on to explain that the car was only driven when she felt like giving it a good run and that she wanted it to go to a Porsche home -someone with previous Porsche ownership (can you believe that?). The car was at the Porsche dealer having the PPI performed and I had a chance to talk with the mechanics at length about the car and the PO. After getting the details on how this owner took care of the car and had it serviced every year even though they didn't drive many miles, I felt this was the car for me.

So far so good, I've had it checked out and it's gotten a clean bill of health - runs great. It's not 100% perfect as I had the low idle problem other's have reported but after investing $300.00 (cost of ISV) it's running just fine.

Keep up your search but don't just look at low mileage cars or those that have been driven. Try and find the best car, period!!! Pay the price for that car and you will not be sorry. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:53 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by rodC4S
No, i am saying that if someone would trade their car in or sell it to a dealer for $50k then they would be better selling it to me for $53. I dont need a dealer licence to buy a car at a lower price.

If you want to see a perfect car on a dealer lot go check out RPMsportscars.com

they have about 8 c2/4 s' that are awesome, just overpriced.

Anyway lets not get into a pissing contest, i am just trying to buy the right car at the right price.

Nice job on the wiring harness recall stuff by the way.
Okay Rod, no pissing match whatsoever. Do a search here on RPM and Ray, see what you fine. You'll find a guy who wont deal on price and who will sit on inventory to sell at very top dollar. Even at the height of the go-go 90s his prices were ridiculous, and they still are.

I have lots of friends in the car business, some own dealerships, some manage them, I am currently working on a million dollar project for GM etc..., and I can tell you that the attitude stinks when a customer thinks he should set the prices. And it stinks that you think you should be able to walk into a dealer and pay $53k for a car they have $50k into. I have no idea what business you are in, but I bet you don't let your customers set the prices.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, you have champaign tastes with Shlitz budget. You want a pristine, perfect car but you don't want to pay for it.

E. J

PS - Rays cars are not always what they seem to be, maybe you should look closely.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:04 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

It looks like we’re back to the same old story of wanting something for nothing; but, as a recent buyer of a C4S I can tell you that “good” and “cheap” aren’t used in he same sentence in the 993 world. I spent almost 6 months looking before I bought my 37k mile ’96 in May. I got a good deal but certainly didn’t steal it. Steve96C4S and I were in the market at the same time and looked at some of the same cars. We reached similar conclusions…You get what you pay for!

The 993 market has dropped some …especially for higher mileage cars. That is to be expected. However, the market remains strong for low mileage mint cars. I decided on a “higher” mile car because I felt like it was a nice compromise for the money. I drive my car so why buy “new” and take the depreciation?

At the time I bought I really thought I would stay “original” and wouldn’t mod the car. Well, that was a joke. I’ve added RSR’s and am now looking to add PSS-9’s. If I had to do it all over I would buy Viken’s car. I don’t know him and have no vested interest in the car. It’s just that he has a good rep and the car has all the mods I dream about.

Good luck in your quest!
Old 10-03-2003, 02:55 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Hello E.J.

As to RPM.....I found Ray to be flexible unless it was a "hot" Porsche on options and color.....I agree with you about a keen focus on originality as to options, wheels etc..... A good PPI by someone like Mr.Callas would be on my must do list....

Unless, the Porsche is very rare, i.e '94 turbos.....of any variety, Ray is moved by a buyer with cash....he had a'96 C4S that had been there a long time.... a very nice example...it is good business to turn inventory with age on it , even at little or no margin

Hope you are well
Old 10-03-2003, 06:13 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey Berkley, my wife drives an'03 ML500 sport - small world. Good luck with the search for #12. I miss mine everyday.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

E.J.

Found it....'98 CS....original owner...he is a racer too in PCA....he is waiting for his new GT3 to be produced....production is very slow.....looks like Oct. may turn into Jan.....he has a 993 track car too

We have a handshake deal...just hope he does not change his mind...he has a few other collector types...was never advertised...found it thru PCA.

The ML 500 is much better than the '01 ML 320 I had.....not one issue in almost 12 months

Good to chat again
Old 10-03-2003, 10:50 PM
rodC4S
Advanced

see new thread. Found a car.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:12 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Default OK then.. what is the going....

'reasonable price for a mint 98 C4S with less then 10k miles.

I haven't posted in some time, but am once again looking for 'S' body to replace my '95 993 cab which I sold.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:04 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carm:

Pretty high. And highly variable.

FWIW, I will amend my earlier post. There are 2 reasons I would sell my car. One was to get Viken's, the other to get a tt.

Finally, if I recall Rod - you got it w/o a PPI. Brave. I absolutely agree that PPIs don't find everything. NEither do Carfax, or any other singel source. I think their value lies in that, combined with all the other data, one can get a reasonable estimate of the health of the car. Maybe you don't need the info, and can tell it all from the seat of your pants. I can feel a lot that way, but not all. I can surely miss something crucial, so when I shopped - and if I shop again - I will get as much data as possible.

Enjoy the car, Rod.

Quick Reply: C4S wanted, please help.