Sponsored by:

C4S wanted, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:29 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Rod,

I agree with all other posts here. 993's are NOT like other cars, the mileage is of very little importance unless you are looking for a potentially appreciating garage queen, and then you should look for closer to 10K miles or less, and pay $65+, and never drive it.

If you are looking for a 20K mile car C4S for $45K, you will get a piece of crap that will cost cost you more than a TT in the long run.

If you really want to bargain hunt, look at 96's, they are identical to 97's and 98's in every way down to the smallest detail, except their ECU is soldered instead of socketed and they do not have a built-in baby seat disabler for the passenger seat.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:31 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rod,

Just want to give my 2 cents:

Like others have said, a low mileage car does not mean that you will NOT have problems with it.

For example, I met this guy at my mechanic who just bought a 993TT not too long ago. When he bought the car, it only had no more than 10k miles on it. After putting on a few thousand miles on that car, he had a problem with his Turbo and he ended up paying lots of $$$ to fix it.

Now if you're buying a low mileage 993 with a very good extended warranty, you'll probably be safe.

Or if you're buying it for collection purpose (garage queen), then a low mileage car would sound good.

Otherwise, I personally would buy a car that has higher mileage from a person that I know that I can trust and whom I know that he/she cares about his/her car & maintains it regularly.

In the end, it's your money and it's your choice and I wish you the best
Old 10-02-2003, 07:44 PM
rodC4S
Advanced

Guys,

The reason i like lower milage cars is not beause they are better mechanically. Miles deteriorate paintwork and interiors, cause you can do nothing to stop stone chips and your *** rubbing on the seat. I have yet to see a 40k mile car that does not have paint issues. Mabye i have just seen a bunch of dogs but thats why i started looking at lower mileage cars.

On the money issue, i would pay top dollar for a perfect car if i thought i wouldnt lose my *** on resale a couple of years down the line. I see a lot of cars STILL for sale for those high dollar numbers after several months, dont want to be one of those. Not that i intend to flip the car, you just never know.

Rod
Old 10-02-2003, 09:41 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rod,

I have a beautiful C4S, considered selling it shortly after I bought it only because of guilt (I'm Hungarian, so give me a break), and could easily have gotten at least 62k for it. Spent a half hour in the garage looking at it one night, and decided to keep it. Too beautiful to give up. Could never replace it - after all, they are not made any more.

It is not for sale, but just FYI, you want a car like mine or DCs or some of the others here, you'll have to pay mucho $$.

If I did not already have a car, I would likely buy Viken's car. In fact, I would consider selling mine only if I bought his car, and I could do that and come out ahead. Hey, wait a minute... Well, that's not quite right - if I could get a good tt for little extra I would consider it, but that is not realistic, either.

Seriously, get his car, or buy one with 50k miles or more for fewer bones. I don't even know Viken, but I trust the folks on this board because I have had good interactions and advice so far. They are here because they love these cars. And they help each otehr out. It's actually a fairly small 993 world. If they say it is a great car, and if I were looking now, I would buy it.

You can always post or PM with questions.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:10 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rod, what do you want the car for? If you pay the premium for a garage queen, you will lose it all driving it. On the other hand, if you intend to drive/DE/track the car, go with something with a few more miles. There are plenty of cars out there that are well taken care of. Certainly, rock chips cannot be avoided but the interior can be taken care of. Have you seen the interior pics of Viken's car? I don't even see any creases in his sports seats!

My car is certainly no garage queen and it is what you would call a higher mileage car. However, since I plan to keep the car forever, I resprayed the front bumper cover with the euro lights/turbo s duct conversion and the car looks really good (to me). I feel confident the car will run for a very long time because it had the carbon build up/check engine light issue which resulted in a $5K warranty top end rebuild at 60K miles. It now has 77K.

There is no way in h%#@ that I would sell it for $40K.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:23 PM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Rod-
First, I disagree with others who say categorically a low mile car means headaches. All depends on the owner and how they used it. If the car sits for long periods of time without being driven, that situation can clearly lead to dried out/cracked seals, hoses, etc. However, if the car is driven on a regular basis (but not everyday), low miles does not mean a priori a problem. I drive mine once a week (or so) for 50 miles at a crack-- and I would put my particular car's mechanics up against higher mile cars any day of the week. Personally (and I'm sure I'll be shouted down on this), I would be far more concerned with a modified car, especially one used on the track.

My car has approx. 11, 500 miles and my dealer told me I could sell the car for $60,000 easily. If they were to sell it, he thought they would put it on the lot for $65,000. The car has factory aero which adds to the price. I saw in the Rennlist ads a Mich. C4S with 11,xxx miles, speed yellow with factory aero for $58,000. All for what it is worth...
Old 10-02-2003, 11:01 PM
rodC4S
Advanced

Thanks again everyone for the input. I want the car for a sunday driver, mabye once i would like to go to the track, so i guess i want a garage queen. No more that 4000 miles a year for this one. Going to look at a 17k mile 96 tommorrow which is supposed to be perfect, close to the price i need and no sales tax. Will let you know the outcome
Old 10-02-2003, 11:02 PM
Benton
Drifting

I'll tell you what; if I was looking for a C4S in that price range, I would bust some heads to be first in line for Viken's car. There is no need to be close-minded, I guarantee that if you compared Viken's car to a C4S with 13000 miles for $60,000 stock you would choose his (that is unless of course you are not enthused about the cars and see no value in the modifications or condition regardless of driving style). The way I see it, if I were to own a car that I had to have low miles and wouldn't drive it, I would buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini. These cars were meant to be driven. I would suffice to say that a car that is 7 years old with 13000 miles would be in worse condition than Viken's because the lack of being driven (and most likely [not always] the owner drove like a granny). This isn't a personal attack in any way at all--just purely my opinion.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:03 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by rodC4S
Guys,

The reason i like lower milage cars is not beause they are better mechanically. Miles deteriorate paintwork and interiors, cause you can do nothing to stop stone chips and your *** rubbing on the seat. I have yet to see a 40k mile car that does not have paint issues. Mabye i have just seen a bunch of dogs but thats why i started looking at lower mileage cars.

On the money issue, i would pay top dollar for a perfect car if i thought i wouldnt lose my *** on resale a couple of years down the line. I see a lot of cars STILL for sale for those high dollar numbers after several months, dont want to be one of those. Not that i intend to flip the car, you just never know.

Rod
You gotta be kidding me. You want a low mileage car with no paintwork problems, stone chips or *** marks in the leather? But you don't want to pay top dollar because you may lose your *** on resale a few years later? Man, is it opposite day or something today and I missed the memo?
Old 10-03-2003, 12:14 AM
rodC4S
Advanced

E.J.

Lets put it this way. If a dealer is selling a perfect 13000 mile car for say $58k then you know he bought it for less than $50k. What i am saying is i should be able to give a better price than a dealer and then i would be happy and so would the seller who would otherwise be giving his car away.

Whats so wrong with this concept ?

I dont believe in throwing money away.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:21 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

I don't believe in throwing money away either. But you're not making any sense to me. Are you saying that if a dealer bought a car for $50k, you should be able to buy it from them for $51? Or that since a dealer wholesale price is $50, you shouldn't have to pay much more than that for a privately sold perfect car? If that's what you want, then go get your dealer license and buy one for yourself. Otherwise, pay what the seller is willing to sell it for.

And BTW - I would love see a perfect 12k mile C4S on a dealer lot. Probably never happen.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:38 AM
rodC4S
Advanced

No, i am saying that if someone would trade their car in or sell it to a dealer for $50k then they would be better selling it to me for $53. I dont need a dealer licence to buy a car at a lower price.

If you want to see a perfect car on a dealer lot go check out RPMsportscars.com

they have about 8 c2/4 s' that are awesome, just overpriced.

Anyway lets not get into a pissing contest, i am just trying to buy the right car at the right price.

Nice job on the wiring harness recall stuff by the way.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:46 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rod-I bought a narrow body '96 993 this summer. 18K miles. Had to havea low mileage car. But after spending time on this board, I have learned that these engines last a long time if taken care of.

I dream about Viken's car at night. If I had only waited...None of my business, but it really is worth looking at. The gearbox alone is a huge plus.

I'll stop bugging you. Best of luck in getting what you want. Let us know when you find your car.

chuck
Old 10-03-2003, 12:51 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Hi Rod,
Welcome to rennlist.

My .002 cents, and believe me thats all its worth!

If I were in the market today for a c4s there are exactly two availble. The only two I would even consider!!!!
If I wanted a daily driver, mildleyl upgraded (but upgraded with the perfect upgrades)......VIKENS

and number 2 would be Glen's WILDley upgraded c4s

I would buy either of those, without so much has a PPI.....Hell If I had the $$ I would buy them just because they are both incredible buys

Good Luck in your quest
Old 10-03-2003, 02:23 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I bet Viken would take $54995!

Quick Reply: C4S wanted, please help.