Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wax question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:45 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been using Klasse AIO and SG for a decade, starting with a black Audi purchased new. Klasse is old school 70s acrylic technology, but works for me. Probably anything would work on my silver and white cars - they hide swirls.

The Menzerna looks impressive. Although it has a silly name (isn't it also a designer pharmaceutical?), maybe it's time to try something new.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:12 AM
rconnon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Its all the same ****. Anyone seeing a dramatic difference is fooling themselves.
It's not just about seeing a dramatic difference, it's about duration of protection in UV and wash cycles.

I personally stay away from silicone based products, they fill swirls and it's impossible to get rid of once on the paint.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by rconnon
It's not just about seeing a dramatic difference, it's about duration of protection in UV and wash cycles.

I personally stay away from silicone, it's impossible to get rid of once on the paint.
Firstly, I'd say most people on here are waxing their car before the protection has been washed away. Also most of the guys who are concerned with this stuff leave the car in the garage at home or work the majority of the time, so UV isn't a huge concern.

That said, I use meguiars ultimate wax. Its a polymer like the other stuff and it does the job. The difference between this and some silly expensive XYZ product is what???????
Old 01-12-2016, 11:36 AM
rconnon
Pro

Firstly, I'd say most people on here are waxing their car before the protection has been washed away. Also most of the guys who are concerned with this stuff leave the car in the garage at home or work the majority of the time, so UV isn't a huge concern.

That said, I use meguiars ultimate wax. Its a polymer like the other stuff and it does the job. The difference between this and some silly expensive XYZ product is what???????
I use to daily drive my 993 365 days a year and had to park it outside in rain/shine for ~4 years, so it was important to me to have a good reliable product - and one i didn't need to re-apply every 30 days.

I agree that most polymer products are great, I'm not saying Menzerna is better than Meguiars, I personally prefer their product since it's super easy to apply with an orbital and comes off with zero residue.

From a quick search Power Lock is about the same price as Ultimate Wax, so i would not classify it as "some silly expensive XYZ product" - this on the other hand.....

http://www.gizmag.com/worlds-most-ex...car-wax/16320/
Old 01-12-2016, 12:44 PM
eeterp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just talked to a detailer that recommended Sonax Polymer Net Shield over wax. Has anyone tried this stuff?
Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Yes, I've used it. Very long lasting, and looks very good for a sealant. Does contain silicone though, which some folks don't like.

Phil @DetailersDomain was a big fan of Sonax PNS, which is why I purchased.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Sonax PNS when I detailed the car in the spring. I will be applying another coat soon.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:21 PM
PorkerNW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

anyone using AMMO's line of products? been hearing gd comments but not sure how their products weigh vs others.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:32 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

Wax on Wax off. I agree guys wax brands are really a preference thing. I have to admit waxing my car is somewhat like therapy. I have used many different brands but recently I purchased a porter cable polisher from Autogeek and currently using the XMT wax. The paint glows but it also glowed from the other waxes too. Just take good care of your 993 babies they are extinct. 👍🏽
Old 01-14-2016, 12:37 AM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Nice wax, but I am loving pinnacle sovereign.
I love this stuff as well. After using some really difficult products this wax is a joy.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:11 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rconnon
here is an example of menzerna results, this is the reflection from the passenger door.
That is an amazing shot. They should pay you to use it for marketing their products. Nicely done.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:57 AM
royc2s
Intermediate

Default Wax

P21S products are very good too.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:29 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I myself prefer Shimmer.

Video, won't embed sorry :/
Old 01-17-2016, 07:08 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 355 Posts

...I use meguiars ultimate wax.
I use Meguiar's Ultimate also. For me, waxing a car is scutwork and I want it to be over as quickly and with as little "grunt" as possible. Mequiar's is very easy to use and leaves a nice shine at a very reasonable price.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:41 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Its all the same ****. Anyone seeing a dramatic difference is fooling themselves.
I disagree with your statement. A few years ago, I did the buffer thing on my dark blue Lexus to remove the paint swirls that had built up. Not wanting to use my good Pinnacle wax on the massive luxocruiser, I grabbed a bottle of Griots Best of Show I had purchased and not liked. After waxing the hood, the paint looked flatter than before I'd applied it. So, I rewashed it with a heavy concentration of dish soap, removing the wax. Then I hit it with Pinnacle and yes, there was a noticeable difference. Much more depth and shine to the paint.

Quick Reply: Wax question