993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2 vs. C4S purchase question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 09:31 PM
fluid15

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree with every comment about the price ... ~ $36k for a C4S sounds really cheap for a car in great shape. BUT, good deals are possible to find(lucky bast%@## !!!!). There's always someone with enough money they don't care about 5, 10, 15k.

My vote is for the C4S (condition of both being equal) if it's primarily a street car. Wide body is even sexier than a narrow 993, if thats possible.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:32 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Just to follow up on my previous post, my research this summer led me to conclude that a 97 C4S would run $45k-$47k with that mileage. That's the reason for my concerns.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:09 AM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fully agree with Eric...you get what you pay for....the last deal I got on a Porsche nearly bleed me to death.....despite PPI, full service records. etc....albeit it had not been driven much.....

The deal mentality and Porsches is a bad combination in my opinion....

Good Luck
Old 10-02-2003, 03:12 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Berkley,
Nice to see you back. I hope we will see more posts from you.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:20 AM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Phil

What did you think of the '98 GR/BLK CS I sent you pics of recently?

It is not a deal, but it is fairly priced......will not be available until Nov. or later....

Take care my friend......
Old 10-02-2003, 03:22 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Berkley,
Remember I am More of a Black/Black person.

but those photos looked great! and to quote you!
"The deal mentality and Porsches is a bad combination in my opinion.... "
Old 10-02-2003, 03:29 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive them -- that may answer your question. My preference: I prefer the rear-drive feel of the C2.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Lenman
Track Day

Thanks guys for your help. Many voiced concerns about the relatively low price. Long conversation w seller today. He's 60, had it 4 yrs. put 8000 miles. It did have what he described as minor front damage when he bought it. Front fenders we're replaced at his request, says the originals had several dings and we're repairable, but chose to spend the extra dough. Had the frame laser'ed at the time to check for accuracy and it was dead on. Front w fenders and hood we're all repainted. Paint shop is high end and specializes in Mercedes/Porsche all receipts available. Can also talk to the body shop person who did the work. Car is going in for full service on monday, anything needed along w the scheduled service will be done at the local Dealer. This btw is all on the 97 C4S I asked about. Pic's of car look amazing, but obviously some work has been done. Is this enough to say screw it at 35-36k, or if this ends up true and the body work was minor and more cosmetic, and I can veriify, is it still worth considering? Or should I run, fast? Still have a 95 w 30k I could grab for 32-34, charcoal black. Advice, compadres?
Old 10-02-2003, 05:13 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I got into a very minor scrape with a pickup truck, and had one of the front fenders on my TT replaced. If you look in the trunk and peel back the carpets you should be able to see if there was anything beyond cosmetic damage. Perhaps the owner took some photos of the car, so you can see if the replacement fenders were strictly for cosmetic reasons, and not a tub damaging incident. The hood "may" have been repainted for rock chips or to blend the fender respray... may or may not indicate a problem. Look on the inside of the hood for the original Porsche "options" slip that should be glued on. If it is missing, then the hood may have also been replaced, possibly indication more serious damage. Or not.

If the damage was cosmetic only, and the repair/paint was done properly, I wouldn't let that scare me off. Is the car local? If not, can you ask a Rennlister to go "eyeball" it for you?
Old 10-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 335 Posts

Respray of the front end is very common with these cars. If its a respray for cosmetic reasons I wouldn't worry about it. Sooner or later everyone on this board will have some paint redone on their 993's unless they just enjoy having a pristine trophy in their garage.

Quick Reply: C2 vs. C4S purchase question