993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 tranny needs rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015 | 02:10 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

I'm not trying to insult anyone. If people want to learn I'm happy toshare whatever I know. If not I can stop replying. It is far more likely the explanation was misunderstood than Bob actually said there were needle bearings in the differential.
Old 12-17-2015 | 09:05 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
Uh, what's a ring & pinion have to do with installation of a limited slip differential? Other than, you know, the ring gear bolts onto the diff...........
I'm probbably completely confused. I thought the differential has ring and pinion arrangement in it. Ring yes, pinion no??
Andy
Old 12-17-2015 | 09:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by pp000830
I'm probbably completely confused. I thought the differential has ring and pinion arrangement in it. Ring yes, pinion no??
Andy
no. The ring bolts to the differential.
Old 12-17-2015 | 09:55 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Matt - send me an email - I've got 25+ sets of used ring and pinions that I might be able to help the OP out with.
Old 12-17-2015 | 11:17 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Knop
Can you explain this more? I already have an RS flywheel which freed up a bunch of power, but regarding the gearing, what did you do, why and the results? Thanks.
Sure. With our US gear boxes, the gears were not optimized for maximum performance, but rather were optimized for mpg and noise issues (lower rpm's overall). That said, I switched 2nd thru 6th, with a more aggressive stack than Euro gears (except for 6th, which I replaced my US 6th with a Euro 6th) and now have an excellent stack all around.

Around town, when I am in 2nd gear, I am simply in a better rpm range than previously. Same goes throughout the stack. I use my 6th all the time on the freeway, at 70-80mph without slogging the engine. The US 6th is a disgrace.

Not to mention a better driving experience for Auto Cross and track events, but that is a different question.

Also threw in steel synchros (while I was in there) and used Guard Gears throughout.

Did this all about 12-13yrs ago at a cost of around $10k total (gears, labor, RS Flywheel, etc..), so I can only imagine how much it would cost today.
Old 12-18-2015 | 12:47 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Pm nsully. He had his rebuilt with an LSD, wear items for around $3200 if I recall. This was about 5 years ago and he used Brian Copans in OH.
Old 12-19-2015 | 02:27 AM
stubble88
Racer

Update
Got my car and torn apart tranny out of there
Was charged $1550 for tranny removal and inspection.
$126 for inspect clutch ??
My Windows now have no power?
I'm feeling burned. Live and learn I guess.

We also discovered some gouging inside the diff than wasn't found with 911 designs inspection.
Old 12-19-2015 | 09:49 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Guys,
My last post asked a question about the condition of the differential. These photos hopefully show why.

The 993 gearbox in question is out of a one-owner 993 convertible from California with just 15,000 miles on the odometer which is in the shop for conversion to the 5th 9m93 Speedster S.
As a precaution we stripped the differential to inspect the differential gears because we have seen this kind of failure too many times. What we found was a worn centre shaft with blued bearing surfaces and worn needle rollers. The shaft for this later differential is not available as a spare part, so rather than buy a new differential (as Porsche would want us to do) we have purchased an earlier shaft and are having it re-drilled to fit the later diff (identified by the visible cups on the outside of the shaft). I should add that to remove the shaft we have to drill from the back of the diff to remove the roll pin, earlier diffs have a hole right through.

If you have a stock differential, my recommendation is that you should inspect it thoroughly before it destroys your gearbox.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images    
Old 12-19-2015 | 02:27 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nowata
Good to know... I guess. The quaife (as well as the needle bearing explanation) came from Bob Viau of Auto Edge. He's a reputable guy. and when your gearbox is laid out in pieces on a cart in a shop, you tend not to gather your parts and go looking for options.
My apologies, I had totally forgotten for a couple years they ran the spider gears on those crappy little needle bearings that Colin has shown us. Bob's explanation to you was clearly accurate of what happened inside your diff. It's an odd couple of years where they did that and they don't exist on later or earlier diffs.
Old 12-19-2015 | 04:36 PM
p993c4
Advanced

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Guys, My last post asked a question about the condition of the differential. These photos hopefully show why. The 993 gearbox in question is out of a one-owner 993 convertible from California with just 15,000 miles on the odometer which is in the shop for conversion to the 5th 9m93 Speedster S. As a precaution we stripped the differential to inspect the differential gears because we have seen this kind of failure too many times. What we found was a worn centre shaft with blued bearing surfaces and worn needle rollers. The shaft for this later differential is not available as a spare part, so rather than buy a new differential (as Porsche would want us to do) we have purchased an earlier shaft and are having it re-drilled to fit the later diff (identified by the visible cups on the outside of the shaft). I should add that to remove the shaft we have to drill from the back of the diff to remove the roll pin, earlier diffs have a hole right through. If you have a stock differential, my recommendation is that you should inspect it thoroughly before it destroys your gearbox. I hope this helps.
You suggest to ASAP purchase an earlier shaft, check the gearbox, and then if needed, have the purchased shaft re-drilled etc. ?!
Old 12-19-2015 | 07:57 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by GTgears
My apologies, I had totally forgotten for a couple years they ran the spider gears on those crappy little needle bearings that Colin has shown us. Bob's explanation to you was clearly accurate of what happened inside your diff. It's an odd couple of years where they did that and they don't exist on later or earlier diffs.
Could you advise what years?
Old 12-19-2015 | 08:27 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by p993c4
You suggest to ASAP purchase an earlier shaft, check the gearbox, and then if needed, have the purchased shaft re-drilled etc. ?!
No, not at all. I just recommend that you check your differential for wear and if it is worn, do something about it before it damages your gearbox.

I guess most people finding a worn stock diff would bite the bullet and fit a new LSD, rather than effect the repair that I have done here?
Old 12-21-2015 | 05:52 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NineMeister
No, not at all. I just recommend that you check your differential for wear and if it is worn, do something about it before it damages your gearbox.

I guess most people finding a worn stock diff would bite the bullet and fit a new LSD, rather than effect the repair that I have done here?
I would suggest to heed Colin's advice. I am replacing mine with a Wavetrac LSD

Old 12-21-2015 | 05:57 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

wow!! ^^
Old 12-21-2015 | 11:17 PM
p993c4
Advanced

What are the typical symptoms prior to all this?
After all, seems like an overkill to open and check, if everything works perfectly.

Quick Reply: 993 tranny needs rebuild