Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zymol Question ( Not another one .. )

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 09:19 AM
John Devlin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zymol Question ( Not another one .. )

Simple question. I've just spent the 7hrs start to finish,,,, cleaning, HD Cleanse,,,Wax,,,,,drooling and want to know. If I want to get another coat and several from what I hear on here. Do I do the same procedure i.e. Clear wash-HD Cleanse-Wax or just Clear wash-Wax i.e. Will HD Cleanse strip off the wax or is in necessary each time to give a 'Key' for the wax ?

Hope this makes sense

John
Old 09-29-2003, 09:27 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I asked this question to zymol directly in the past,,,i was told just to add the wax over existing application.
No need to go through all the processes, this was just to get the surface prepared.
It is important to wash with water or zymol clear,,,as if you use harder detergants or strong wash/wax car products this will wash the wax off sooner than later.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:36 AM
John Devlin
Track Day

Makes perfect sense. But I guess like me you were confused in that, if you read their manual it isn't obvious other than the fact that HD is a prep. before a wax.

Thanks for that
Old 09-29-2003, 10:16 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The cleanse will strip off the previous wax. Don't use the cleanse again, just the pure wax.

Zymol looks fantastic but there is no durability with the product.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:55 PM
KeithR3
Pro

I agree, Zymol looks great but does not last. I switched to Zaino. The best $80.00 system I've ever used. It is easily applied, last long and the shine is amazing. PM if you are interstested.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:15 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

I love it everytime someone asks a question about Zymol.......'cause it gives me another chance to say how much it is overrated and overpriced crapola!!! There are so many other quality waxes available that are longer lasting, better performing (shine), and costs less. Let's see, Griot's "Best of Show", Pinnacle, Blitz, just to name three.

I've probably tried about everything that's out there with the exception of Zaino. I'd like to try it someday, but I am unclear whether it is actually a wax (natural ingredients) or a synthetic polymer teflon thing that bonds to your paint. Anyone know what exactly Zaino is? I know what Zymol is......glorified Turtle Wax!
Old 09-30-2003, 12:21 AM
bet
Drifting

Zaino is a polymer. No wax of any kind and no Teflon (teflon use in most products is completely misleading and false).

The Zymol sold at the local wally world is glorified turtle wax, however the high end stuff is not. It actually leaves an incredible finish when applied correctly. That said it is a royal PITA to apply and remove. It is ridiculously expensive and has no durability what so ever. It does look fantastic though. Not really a good wax for a car that is actually driven frequently. It does have it’s place for show cars and garage queens. To continue the list of alternatives with better values, easier to apply and remove, better durability and just as good a look are P21S and it's identical twin sold at Harley and other mototcycle shops under the name S100 (same wax and even cheaper).
Old 09-30-2003, 03:18 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to be a contrarian, but my experience with zymol is just the opposite. I use it on all my cars, including ones driven through Chicago winters, and water beads nicely and rolls off in machine car washes 10 weeks after application. And the shine is pretty much unequaled, IMHO, unless you prefer the polymer "saran wrap" look that many do.

My guess is that many folks do not use the HD Cleanse (pre-wax) correctly--you have to rub until the paint squeaks! This gives the wax a great base to adhere to. Re PITA to apply/remove, microfiber towels make it a breeze, with quick wiping and light pressure all that's needed--and as one with end-stage joint disease in my wrists, this is something I am an unwilling expert on. ;-)

Finally, expense is in the eye of the beholder, but a $30 jar lasts me a couple of years--since filling the gas tank costs about the same, that's fine by me. No affiliation, just my $.02....
Old 09-30-2003, 03:32 AM
John Devlin
Track Day

Thnaks for all the replies. My experience up to now is that I've used only cheap waxes/products and I have to say was dubious about the Zymol thing. However, whilst I'm not adverse to trying new products as suggested, its gonna be a while as I can't afford to change and won't untill my current stock runs out ( I guess about a year! ). I would also say that I agree with the Bob D. that I did really take a long time and effort on the HD Cleanse ( I'm still sore in the arms and back ) my finish is like glass and I found the application with Micro cloth a doddle!! As to its durability I can't comment but I'm an everyday driver in some of the potentially worst roads in England i.e. Norfolk country B roads following Sugar Beet harvesting. Mind you I've got the wife's car if it gets all too much for my P&J.

Thanks for all the help
Old 09-30-2003, 05:22 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

I agree with Bob D to the extent that I use a high Carnuba content wax - Victoria Yellow from Prestige Car Care Products....it's identical to Zymol but cheaper (less advertising to support).

It is quicker to apply than anything else I've tried, the shine is incredible ('I'd like to buy your very red 964' was said to me recently!), it lasts for weeks and many 'bucket and sponge' washes.

'System' (I love that marketingspeak) cost is $12.75 for the pre-wax Lite Cleanse, which on the basis of use once a year will last me 15 years! Wax costs $37.50 which I estimate will last me 3/4 years. Old Gap T shirts for buffing cost nothing!

I'm no scientist but I also like the idea that by using a natural product I might be 'feeding' the paint?!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I am a Zaino convert-was using Zymol and was very happy with the results except for the fact that the shine was not long lasting. I found that I was spending way too much time stroking my car vs driving it. The Zaino is a "different" shine-granted-but it looks great and is a very easy system, once you get going. It is the BEST treatment I've used for a black car. I have had folks (including another P-car guy) stop into my office at work and ASK me what I use on my car-they all have since converted to Zaino (no affiliation).
Old 09-30-2003, 09:12 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

If I wanted to try Zaino, what do I need to buy for the 'system' so to speak?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

What I am told ('cause I'm no chemist-so correct me if I'm wrong): different waxes are derived from different chemistries and can be at opposite ends of the spectrum: some based more on natural products, some on polymers.

When a company offers a car wash, polish, detail spray, etc.. they are designed to chemically compliment each other, enhancing the properties of their particular chemistry.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:48 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Sorry cut myself off-So with Zaino, the Car Wash is designed to support the polish, is designed to support the detail spray, etc...
Old 09-30-2003, 10:11 AM
bet
Drifting

If you want Zaino the things to get are the following:

Z7 (car wash) - excellent product even if you don't use zaino
Z2 or Z3 (depending if you have a clear coat)
ZFX (makes application of Z2, Z3 or Z5 much easier)
Z6 (technicaly optional but highly recommended)

Optional:
Z5 (swirl mark filler)

Apply any of the products as thin as possible. Eventually you should be able to put 3-5 layers on your P-car with an once.

Prep of the paint surface is the key. Zaino contains no oils or fillers (Z5 has some fillers to attempt hide things - jury is still out on whether it works IMO although it recently was reformulated and is suppose to work much better - I have not tried the new version) so any surface imperfections are going to show unlike when using a carnaubla based wax because they all contain some oils and fillers. Ideally you would want to wash, clay, polish, and then apply the Zaino. If you don't want to go through these steps, at the very minimum use some type of dish wash soap (i.e. Dawn) to strip off all previous wax applications and rinse thoroughly. The reflectiveness and durability of zaino protection is unsurpassed. There are other tips if you want to know. Just PM me.

Quick Reply: Zymol Question ( Not another one .. )