Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bet
If you want Zaino the things to get are the following:

Z7 (car wash) - excellent product even if you don't use zaino
Z2 or Z3 (depending if you have a clear coat)
ZFX (makes application of Z2, Z3 or Z5 much easier)
Z6 (technicaly optional but highly recommended)

Optional:
Z5 (swirl mark filler)

Ideally you would want to wash, clay, polish, and then apply the Zaino.

Hi Bet,
Thanks for info. but which of the above is the wax?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:45 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Z2 and Z3 (Z2- clear coated cars and Z3 non-clear coated) is the "wax". Zaino calls their products a "polish" which really isn't correct either becuase they have NO abrasive properties at all. Zaino is a polymer product. Zaino does not contain any "waxes".
Old 09-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Brian.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:11 AM
bet
Drifting

Piers I just realized you are in London. Shipping may kill you...although the strong pound and weak dollar probably really help. Have you tried Klasse? It should be available locally for you. It also is a polymer product and is suppose to have similar durability and shine characteristics to Zaino.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:59 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding Zymol,

My experience is exactly as Bob D's. I use Titanium, and water doesn't merely bead, it literally falls off my car even 6 months after waxing. The shine remains superb as well. As Bob D said, it must be applied properly, and the microfiber cloths really make it easy to remove. It's still relatively time-consuming and high-effort, but the results, IMO, are superb, and very durable. FWIW, I use my black 993 a lot, though it doesn't see bad weather often -- I take VERY good care of it, but it is not a garage queen (it just looks like it is).

Cheers
Old 10-02-2003, 04:08 AM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

The good Zymol is much better than the department store waxes. I used Zymol Carbon and really liked it. However, I ended up converting to Zaino.

Zaino is so reflective and glassy that some like to call it a plastic-wrap look, but by the same token you can say that most waxes leave a relatively greasy looking finish compared to Zaino. However, some people feel that wax has a "warmth" that Zaino does not.

It reminds me of the arguments over whether CD's or vinyl LP's sound better. Some people prefer the greater dynamic range and lack of mood breaking pops and hiss that CD's provide. Others claim that CD's are too sterile sounding and LP's have a warmer sound. If you prefer LP's, stick to wax.

Like most things in life, it comes down to personal preference. There isn't a wrong answer. But I know lots of people who have converted from wax to Zaino. I don't know anyone who has done the reverse.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:54 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

What about my theory (sure I read it somewhere) that Carnuba based waxes 'feed' the paint for unsurpassed long term health?

Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Piers

be aware than Zaino requires ambient temperature and air moisture levels to be at a certain level prior to use - its debatable whether you'd be able to satisfy either with our wonderful weather over here.
This being a Zymol thread - I wont bother you with what I use (but it doesn't have a 'Z' in it )

Old 10-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Question

Hi Surj,

As a fellow UK weather sufferer I am interested as to what you use as I was not aware that Zaino would not be much cop here. I currently use Autoglym and Autoglym Extra Shine which are easy to apply and work quite well. Water beading works better on my old Beamer rather than the 911 - I'm not sure why.

Cheers,

David
Old 10-02-2003, 10:41 AM
bet
Drifting

Whereas, ideal conditions will allow Zaino to dry and cure faster, less than ideal conditions will not cause it not to work, but merely make the process take a little longer. The exception to this is temps below a certain level. Check with zaino what the temperature ranges are (www.zainobros.com) if you are concerned.

I have applied zaino in 85 degrees with 90% humidity and have had no bonding issues. Under these conditions the drying time is takes a while (1-2 hours) before it can be buffed off but other than that there is no problem with the application. The biggest factor in zaino drying is humidity. The easy answer is to apply and wait. It will NOT become more difficult to remove the longer it sits.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:58 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

I like Zymol a lot, and prep for it using 3m machine and hand glazes. It lasts 2 months on a daily driver, and the shine is awesome. Never tried zaino as Im hesitant to use anything but carnuba (polymers). Zymol carbon on my guards red is fantastic and not very expensive ($34 lasts a year.)...very different from the zyrtle wax you get at Pep boys.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:08 AM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Thumbs up I now use Zaino

After several cars I just tried Zaino and am sold that it's a great product. It produced the look I like and was easy to apply/remove. But want to point out I applied 4 layers.

Total cost ~ $20.

One bottle of Z2 (clear coat)
One order Accelerater ZFX

Last edited by fluid15; 10-03-2003 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:04 AM
John Devlin
Track Day

In answer to Chris's " and prep for it using 3m machine and hand glazes " For those in the UK or US that know... Is the HD Cleanse a glaze ? I know its a prep. Is there a good swirl filler/Glaze, although I spent a lot of time with the HD it still didn't get a lot of the swirls out ( I'm being very picky here as it still look good ). Thanks
Old 10-03-2003, 06:41 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

HD Cleanse is a mild form of 'T Cut' ie it is abrasive and removes paint.

I use the equivalent that I buy from www.prestigecarcareproducts.com once a year maximum. After use the paint surface will feel mirror smooth.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:34 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

David - you have PM.

(not wanting to hijack this Zymol thread into a "but you should be using..." issue.

Everyone should have their own journey with wax...(did I just say that??)

Quick Reply: Zymol Question ( Not another one .. )