Sponsored by:

Salesman-ese

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 04:33 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Salesman-ese

I've been thinking about buying a car and decided to really look at the description posted by the seller. In doing so I realized that the documents didn't match the ad. The miles were off but in a rational way. Looks like a bad digit was fat fingered somewhere along the way. I'm sure it could be fixed but it hasn't been fixed yet.

In speaking with him I realized that he was not overly concerned and reassured me multiple times that it was just a clerical error and that it would be cleared up soon. The car is still advertised with no mention (at this time) of the error. I think this is where salesman go wrong. Kind of like the "it'll only appreciate in value" line of bull$hit. Have you ever heard a car salesman say "you're fcuked buddy and I hope you know you've just bought a deprecating asset"? I know it's not their job to disclose anything but it just goes to reinforce that buying from the owner is usually the best way to purchase, although that can sometimes go bad too...
Old 11-30-2015, 10:37 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Salesman-ese

Peace Jason!
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 187 Posts

Yup, owner to owner transactions are preferred, add a middle man, much like the middle finger they attempt to f*** you

They have their reputation for a reason.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Yup, owner to owner transactions are preferred, add a middle man, much like the middle finger they attempt to f*** you They have their reputation for a reason.
Some have good reputations. Now what?
Old 12-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

A knowledgeable sales guy is always preferable, but I'll generally patiently sit through the BS sellers and let them talk. Most of the guys who have to resort to BS can be intimidated with your silence. Try it, you'll be surprised, Dale Carnegie was right.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:26 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by Academictech
A knowledgeable sales guy is always preferable, but I'll generally patiently sit through the BS sellers and let them talk. Most of the guys who have to resort to BS can be intimidated with your silence. Try it, you'll be surprised, Dale Carnegie was right.
I'm a listener most of the time. People say very self incriminating things if you just stare at them and nod your head. My girlfriend says that I have a "dick face" when someone is talking to me and I know they're bull$hitting. I suppose it's my way of intimidation? I'm not 6'6" or 300lbs. so I guess all I can do is wear my "dick face". Unfortunately this is hard to pull off while on the telephone or via email. In that case my lack of conversation makes my phone call sound like a bad internet call to China via Skype. Carfax still hasn't show an all clear yet...
Old 12-05-2015, 02:59 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The only middle man worth listening to is the indy PPI guy!

I've been thinking about buying a car and decided to really look at the description posted by the seller. In doing so I realized that the documents didn't match the ad. The miles were off but in a rational way. Looks like a bad digit was fat fingered somewhere along the way. I'm sure it could be fixed but it hasn't been fixed yet.

In speaking with him I realized that he was not overly concerned and reassured me multiple times that it was just a clerical error and that it would be cleared up soon. The car is still advertised with no mention (at this time) of the error. I think this is where salesman go wrong. Kind of like the "it'll only appreciate in value" line of bull$hit. Have you ever heard a car salesman say "you're fcuked buddy and I hope you know you've just bought a deprecating asset"? I know it's not their job to disclose anything but it just goes to reinforce that buying from the owner is usually the best way to purchase, although that can sometimes go bad too...
Pardon me for asking, Jason, but are you attempting to purchase a car as an appreciating asset?

Last edited by nine9six; 12-05-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:53 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by nine9six
The only middle man worth listening to is the indy PPI guy!Pardon me for asking, Jason, but are you attempting to purchase a car as an appreciating asset?
I can't say I've ever bought anything as an appreciating asset although I've been lucky a few times! This particular car would be a driver but I'm not looking to buy a driver quality car with 50K+ miles with a sketchy Carfax for a dealer premium and a story.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:07 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I can't say I've ever bought anything as an appreciating asset although I've been lucky a few times! This particular car would be a driver but I'm not looking to buy a driver quality car with 50K+ miles with a sketchy Carfax for a dealer premium and a story.
Now that makes all the sense in the world!

I hope you can acquire and validate the questions you need answered, for a smooth purchase...

Quick Reply: Salesman-ese