Sponsored by:

Outgassing

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:30 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I have a set of BBS forged alloy monoblock wheels I was thinking of powder coating and since I was concerned about the heat cycle of the powder coat process called BBS.

Concerned because the temperatures used in the tempering process for aluminum alloys is within the range of temperatures used for powder coating.

BBS said they do not powder coat the type of wheel I have because of the temperatures involved and don't recommend doing a powder coat.

Having said that, I have a set of Ray's forged alloys on my Nissan 350Z and powder coated them years ago without problems...
That's pretty much what I was getting at. Although it may be fine, the risk (for me) is not worth it. I "drive" my car and don't want any failure on the road, at the track, or anywhere for that matter.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:01 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I have a set of BBS forged alloy monoblock wheels I was thinking of powder coating and since I was concerned about the heat cycle of the powder coat process called BBS.

Concerned because the temperatures used in the tempering process for aluminum alloys is within the range of temperatures used for powder coating.

BBS said they do not powder coat the type of wheel I have because of the temperatures involved and don't recommend doing a powder coat.

Having said that, I have a set of Ray's forged alloys on my Nissan 350Z and powder coated them years ago without problems...
Cup car, aren't your Rays forged magnesium?

Quick Reply: Outgassing