Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler bearing grinding again...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 09:46 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would a bronze bushing work better than a ball bearing? It seems like a bronze bushing would be more resilient against corrosion.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:47 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ppressle
Would a bronze bushing work better than a ball bearing? It seems like a bronze bushing would be more resilient against corrosion.
Maybe, but I have no idea where I would find one.

I decided to try the silicone nitride (Si3N4) version of the 625-2RS bearing. I have it on order from here because I'm in Canada but you can find the same thing on fleabay etc with free shipping in USA:
https://www.bearingscanada.com/produ...c-5-5x16x5.htm

However I will be storing the car for winter pretty soon, so may not be able to report back until spring. In any case, the real results won't be apparent until after several years of spoiler ups & downs, ie does the grinding eventually return again.

Also, just discovered another option to increase the speed at which the spoiler goes up, which sounds pretty much like the RUF version if I understand it rightly. It's a very simple resistor replacement - see post # 52 in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...estions-4.html

Edit: this fix unfortunately doesn't work on my 96 C4's spoiler module. Apparently the older 964 version is required for the resistor mod, but these are hard to find and rather spendy.

Last edited by bcameron59; 06-11-2016 at 06:18 PM. Reason: correction re: spoiler module version
Old 11-02-2015, 12:04 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Maybe, but I have no idea where I would find one.

I decided to try the silicone nitride (Si3N4) version of the 625-2RS bearing. I have it on order from here because I'm in Canada but you can find the same thing on fleabay etc with free shipping in USA:
https://www.bearingscanada.com/produ...c-5-5x16x5.htm
[/url]
Thanks for the research and the link. I just ordered this same piece and will tackle this DIY next.

FYI, I had never tackled a DIY on my own car ever. But with the write ups and resources provided on Rennlist I have now fixed my horn bracket (no more honking when I apply the breaks!), sourced and ordered replacement blows cabin fans and will now fix the grinding in my spoiler. Exciting times.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:53 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ppressle
I don't think it's a matter of corrosion so much, as it is a matter of non-sealed bearings ingesting everything the environment has to offer, and that takes a toll on bearings.

Even a nice Oilite bronze bushing, which sweats oil, will eventually break down if left open to the elements.

As others have discussed, I believe a sealed bearing is the answer; and even those will eventually break down as micro particulate, environment, and time take their toll on the rubber seals that protect the bearing. It's longevity we're looking for, right?
Old 11-03-2015, 02:57 AM
akrca4
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 65 Posts

I think it's also available on Amazon for $25+Free Shipping

S625-2RS Ceramic Si3N4 Stainless ABEC-5 Sealed Bearing 5x16x5 Bearings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MYBXJ4C..._rOfowbM8P116P

Quick Reply: Spoiler bearing grinding again...