Sponsored by:

Titanium exhaust for 993?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 09:39 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Titanium exhaust for 993?

Titanium exhausts are becoming more common in general but is there a titanium muffler for the 993, apart from Robert Linton's piece of art?

The weight saving could amount to 10kg/22 lbs off the rear of the car where it help the most.

Or maybe it's possible to adapt a commercial titanium muffler? Are there any downsides to using titanium?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:26 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any downsides to using titanium? Yes. It's expensive.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:31 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I want. Where can I buy?
Old 09-25-2003, 04:34 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

A shop near me has a sale on Remus titanium mufflers which got me thinking. They are only about $240!
Old 09-25-2003, 05:00 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert is CF man. This is additional 10 kg's less, compared to titanium
Old 09-25-2003, 09:32 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Question

Would there be any effect on resonances using carbon fibre? They have bike silencers amde out of the stuff so I presume not?

Cheers,

David
Old 09-25-2003, 09:39 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

I assume that Robert Linton had a good reason for using titanium for the inner pipe of his muffler, and carbon fibre only for the outside. It would be a fun project to replace the outer casing with carbon fibre!

I went into the shop today which was advertising the titanium mufflers. It seems that only the tips are titanium, and the rest is stainless steel - which is pretty much the exact opposite of what I would choose! Titanium tips are not pretty...
Old 09-25-2003, 03:15 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

I can offer some experience using CF and Titanium exhausts on sport and race motorcycles. I replaced a SS system with a CF can, then went to a full titanium system on my bike. All are very common, and several bikes even come stock with titanium systems.

BTW, Remus is a very respected name and considered one of the best quality aftermarket bike exhaust vendors.

The problem with the CF cans is that the type of CF typically used is not very heat resistant, so if the design of the muffler transmits a lot of heat to the CF skin, it can delaminate or bubble.

Titanium on the other hand is far more heat resistant and is also commonly used on the header pipes. However I have heard that a lot of heat can make it more brittle. I had a minor vibration related crack on a fitting, and can go on at length about the joys of trying to weld titanium in your garage, even with a TIG welder and argon hood.

SS is considered the best material as far as cost and longevity goes, but at the expense of weight.

CF:
lightest, shortest life, expensive

Titanium:
light, decent life, expensive

SS:
heavy, best life, lowest cost.

Graham, titanium can actually look very nice. Heat will give it a rainbow color cast, unlike SS which just yellows. My titanium pipes look much better than the SS ones.

Disclaimer: How any of this applies to cars I will let someone with direct experience say.

Quick Reply: Titanium exhaust for 993?