$96 and 3 points for a U-turn?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry $96 and 3 points for a U-turn?!?

Out running some errands, headed to the local Best Buy... I've lived in Melbourne since 1992, and have made that same turn at that same intersection probably 100 times. But now, the cop says, there's a sign there (sure enough, after the fact I see the sign a little ways back from the intersection, but darned if I've ever seen it there before!) and "there have been complaints and so we're starting to cite people for turning there".

"What sign?? How long has it been there?? I've lived here for 11 years!"

"Sir, it's been there forever. That's the problem -- the ones who've lived here for a long time don't watch for the signs."

BS. I sure wish I could find out when it was installed there. Even my wife (who chides me for driving even 2 MPH over the speed limit) says it wasn't there 3 weeks ago, to the best of her recollection, because she makes the same u-turn.

No warning, no credit for the "safe driver" designation on the license or the lack of *any* traffic violations in this county *ever*. Just $96 closer to the monthly ticket quota.

Thankfully I can take the traffic school to get rid of the points (3 points?!? 2 u-turns and you lose your license???)

Ok. I'm done now. I think I'll sit at home tonight and watch a movie. Blues Brothers. With the big cop chase scene.

-Chris
Old 09-24-2003, 06:38 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check with the municipal, county or state public works or highway dept (depending on which governmental entity maintains the road) regarding the date the sign was installed. It's a public record.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:47 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 points on your license - that's gonna cost you in insurance premiums. Get one of those sleazy traffic lawyers, they'll get you out of it with no points. Hell, if I can walk away from a triple-digit speeding ticket (clocked by an FHP aircraft!) without points you can get out of an illegal u-turn!
Old 09-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

I'm glad to have traffic lawyers around. They are much needed to combat the typical **** bike cop that lurks in the bushes with his radar gun. Pond scum I say !! By the way, who in the hell would put their life on the line everyday just so they could give out traffic tickets? That is retardation at its finest in my book.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:11 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to court talk to the judge and explain what happened
if he does not dismiss it he may knock the fine down and
lessen the fine.
Or go to traffic school.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:01 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Randy M
I'm glad to have traffic lawyers around. They are much needed to combat the typical **** bike cop that lurks in the bushes with his radar gun. Pond scum I say !! By the way, who in the hell would put their life on the line everyday just so they could give out traffic tickets? That is retardation at its finest in my book.
Randy
I think your generalization is out of line. Of course there are bad cops, just as there are bad Porsche drivers. However, we should all be very thankful there are people willing to "put their life on the line everyday just so they could give out traffic tickets." Those very same "pond scum" may drag your broken body from a burning wreck and give you CPR, risk getting hit by a drunk while directing traffic in the rain, or engage in any number of similar selfless acts from which we benefit every day. All at disgracefully meager wages.

I don't like to get a ticket either, but I've never blamed the cop for catching me violating the law.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:18 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just paid a $48 dollar summons-for not having signed the back of my drivers license . . .
Old 09-24-2003, 10:56 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a huge hit for such a minor violation. Definitely worth going to court with or without a lawyer.
I'm a pilot. I got clocked by an aircraft speeding which really gave the guy that stopping me a chuckle. I showed up in court to contest the ticket. The speedo on my Impala was broken at the time and I had a repair receipt, but the police pilot did not show up for court. The judge asked me if I minded if the case was dismissed. After a long pause, and after realizing what the judge had just said I walked away. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

There might be a small decal on the back of the sign giving information as to when it was put up.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:12 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Explain the situation to the Judge and ask that he take the ticket "under advisement". If you stay clean for 6 months the ticket won't hit your record but you will still pay the fee.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

Dan, I appreciate your comment and I do agree with most of it. I am glad that we have them and appreciate SOME of their efforts to protect society. For example,shooting rubber bullets into hippy protesting crowds, I like that. Catching murderers and rapists is admirable as well. I should have been clear to state 'traffic cop' and specifically the mustache clad overweight bike cop. They are truly the bottom of the barrel in respect to law enforcement.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:20 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Randy
Hey, I meant your comment that "I'm glad to have traffic lawyers around" was out of line.
When I was a prosecutor, I always figured if someone hired a lawyer for a minor traffic ticket, they'd already been punished.
Peace.

Quick Reply: $96 and 3 points for a U-turn?!?