Sponsored by:

Covered in Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 07:48 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Covered in Oil

Ok, not really covered but after driving for about 50 miles at up to only about 80 at times the rear of the car has a lot of oil spots that I think came from under the car. I can see a bit of oily "stuff" on the pan under the rear which I understand is an aerodynamic feature or an oil spill pan depending on who defines it.

Is this normal or is it excessive to find oil on the bumper and engine cover. Should I take the pan off and try to locate a leak? Is there any obvious source that is a common issue? Or is this a trip to a repair shop. I can't really live with a having to wash the car after every drive like this. And just to note the engine area itself under the lid is clean and oil free.

I have had the car about 6 months and have noticed a little residue after a time, but my normal trips are pretty short and in total I've only driven about 1200 miles since I owned it. I'm telling this to say that I am not sure if it has always spit a little oil and I am just noticing it or it has developed the problem more recently. I really think it has gotten worse. But maybe there is a leak which lays in the pan and does not fly out until I get it really hot and drive at some speed other than in town speeds.

Well, what do you all think? Common problem with simple fix or a what the heck is going on and get to a repair shop?

Bill
Old 10-13-2002, 08:17 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take the dopey underpan off; Porsche might say it's an aerodynamic device but when they first installed such on Euro 911s in the '80's it was to cut down on emitted noise. Mine has been off for ages and car still feels great at 140MPH at Watkins Glen.

Scrub down the entire underneath of the engine compartment. Then go for a short drive. Pull the car back into your garage and try to see where it's leaking from.

Thoughts:
a) some folks have had problems with leaking exhaust side valve covers. Needs removal of the mufflers, but after that valve cover removal and gasket replacement is doable. Do an archive search for info.

b) rear engine crankshaft oil seal; this is where the engine mates to the tranny. Happened to me early in car life (covered under warranty). This is definitely NOT a "shadetree mechanic" repair.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:47 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also check your oil level... overfills seem to correct themselves, but you can be left with quite a mess. The manual tells how to check it properly (at temperature, on level ground, using the dipstick).
Old 10-13-2002, 09:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
I only agree with Ray 95%, I have replaced the lower valve cover gaskets without removing any exhaust parts so don't get too scared...but it does require rubber arms and two elbows in each arm, or in my case lots of patience. Its actually not that hard if you sacrifice an allen key and use a little creative grinding on that key to make a "short" tool to get those couple of bolts that are in a bad spot.

You can tell its the valve covers if, after you have done the pan removal and cleaned the engine, driven it, and are now under looking around, you should see some drips off the lower corner of the cover. If you do than its more than likely the cover gasket...a cheap fix!

Oh don't trust the oil level gauge until you know exactly how well it works...use the dipstick just like Jeff says.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-13-2002, 11:17 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
When did you last change the oil? You should have seen Kevin's bumper from all the oil spray that came from the oil filter which was not tighten properly...
Old 10-14-2002, 01:22 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not changed the oil as it was changed just before I bought it. That does not mean something isn't loose.

I have checked the oil and related it to the guage, which seems pretty accurate. I needed to put in about .6 quart to move the guage back to the 9 o'clock position and that corresponded to the oil registering on the dipstick. This was the first and only oil added in the 1200 miles driven.

It seems you guys all think I should not have oil on the rear so I will begin to check it out.

I will post the answer assuming I find a concrete one.

Bill
Old 10-14-2002, 01:32 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Brick:
<strong>I have not changed the oil as it was changed just before I bought it. That does not mean something isn't loose.

It seems you guys all think I should not have oil on the rear so I will begin to check it out.

I will post the answer assuming I find a concrete one.

Bill</strong><hr></blockquote>

On my car to give you the example I changed the oil at the dealership when I bought the car, did about 1500 miles on the car and because I had a DE upcoming I thought I would change the oil again. My mechanic said that I was very lucky the main filter did not come off as it was literally hanging by a thread! If I waited just a tad longer it would have with catastrophic results.
On Kevins car it was the same. the filter was not tighten properly and in his case as the miles were racking up it was getting looser and looser and the seal started to loose oil progressively...
At first a little and then more and more which came in a form or spray due to the aero characteristics on the rear bumber...

That is just my experience, you are certainly right you have to check it out...

Quick Reply: Covered in Oil