Sponsored by: DashLynx

1998 Cabriolet 52K miles 1 owner - what's it worth

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:53 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
Uhh, Rudy, you do realize that was a dig at u7t2p7 and not me....right?
Old 10-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Uhh, Rudy, you do realize that was a dig at u7t2p7 and not me....right?
😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
Old 10-20-2015, 04:22 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
We should probably go to the source and ask the person who has been buying up all the 993s lately...

What say you Rudy? In your experience and with all things being equal (condition, color, options, miles), do cabs sell for less than coupes???
Old 10-20-2015, 04:54 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gonzilla
We should probably go to the source and ask the person who has been buying up all the 993s lately...

What say you Rudy? In your experience and with all things being equal (condition, color, options, miles), do cabs sell for less than coupes???
WAIT, Rudy SELLS a car? I thought he only buys them!

To be honest, I think in time the 993 cabs will be worth more than their NB counterparts. Wide bodies and Turbos will always command more, but especially in warmer climates, I could easily see why a convertible would fetch more.

The old saying is true; "When the top goes down, the price goes up". It's strange that hasn't always applied to Porsches.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:59 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla

A quick perusal of Opo's collection suggests he owns no cabs, or if he does they are not pictured. That in of itself is telling. You'll never convince "Frick and Frack" that their cabs are worth a bit less than the equivalent coupe.

Let's not overlook the OP's request for pricing assistance. I suggested a range of $40-50k dependent on a number of factors. Other than some verbal crap, no one else has offered up any hard numbers.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:25 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

While it's true that no one person is right, I'm pretty sure there is some legitimate reason so many folks HERE cite that coupes tend to sell for higher prices.

Finally, if someone sees Car X listed for Y, then they see another exact same Car X listed for Y + $100K, they can say with great certainty that one is highly over-priced. That's not making stuff up, that's math
FIFY. There's a vast world out there beyond just our little RL website. And even some places have sun for almost 12 months/year.

NB Coupe onwers have the same bias as well. It's certainly not just one direction.

As for your $100K comment over, that's obviously a extraordinary case, bordering on hyperbole. And sellers can ask whatever they want and shouldn't have to listen to amateur market appraisers. Having said that, as you know, there are a couple dealers as well as some individuals who are selling their cars at significant increases over past sales (e.g, 2007 997.1 GTRS) at least when it comes to the "jelly bean" colors like Viper Green, Mexico Blue and yes, maybe even a Speed Yellow on occasion.

Personally, I like bright hues better than the standard fare.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:28 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
A quick perusal of Opo's collection suggests he owns no cabs, or if he does they are not pictured. That in of itself is telling. You'll never convince "Frick and Frack" that their cabs are worth a bit less than the equivalent coupe.
I'm a big fan of Rudy, and his hardback fanaticism, but he's only one person with 50 cars or whatever.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:32 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

It seems to me that the 356 Cabs have been selling for more than the coupes, and other car makes as well,
Old 10-20-2015, 05:41 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RodKnock
sellers can ask whatever they want and shouldn't have to listen to amateur market appraisers.
North Korea is too cold for a convertible, but they would admire your tilt toward limiting free speech on an Internet bulletin board designed to inspire diverse opinions and thought. Rennlist feels otherwise, else they would shut down comments on For Sale ads.

See you in the pages of Pravda, comrade!
Old 10-20-2015, 05:45 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by heliolps2
It seems to me that the 356 Cabs have been selling for more than the coupes, and other car makes as well,
True. But a 4-cam 356 Carrera coupe sells for much more money than a run-of-the-mill 356 convertible. Likewise, a 993 Turbo coupe, or widebody even, will always sell more than any 993 convertible, as those coupes were made in much smaller numbers than the convertible and are more coveted thusly
Old 10-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

In my view, the classic 911 silhouette is completely lost when in cab configuration (pre-996, anyway) and that probably plays into opinion.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:11 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
Membership is not just for people trying to sell something. I have received TONS of awesome advice and helpful tips as well as connected with some really cool Porsche people via this membership. If you're a Porsche owner or just an enthusiast it's worth the 17 dollar price of admission.
Bless your heart for trying but, if you have to explain the value one receives here for that $17, your target audience still won't "get it". lol
Old 10-20-2015, 06:13 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

North Korea is too cold for a convertible, but they would admire your tilt toward limiting free speech on an Internet bulletin board designed to inspire diverse opinions and thought. Rennlist feels otherwise, else they would shut down comments on For Sale ads.

See you in the pages of Pravda, comrade!
Yes, but I believe their leader has a large collection of 993's that rivals Rudy's and he only owns Cabs. Rudy's exact polar opposite.

Many other sites have no comments in the for sale section. That's what a discussion forum is for. And just because RL hasn't changed their rules, doesn't mean they'll never change the rules.

Then the For Sale ads will just be dealers and a few other brave souls. the rest of us will take our ads elsewhere. You know, to avoid those folks that will slam yellow as a Porsche color in my future for sale ad.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

most Porsche cabs are worth less than coupes as the nature of Porsche is performance and the coupe outperforms the cabs every time (all things being equal). However the speedster cars expecially 993 are worth more than the regular 993 turbo. the turbo S is worth more and the RS even more and the GT2 is at the top of the food chain.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:08 PM
Mark Knop
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the ONLY reason cabs would be worth less is because of less demand, and the demand being that only ugly people feel safe in coupes and visa vi there are more ugly people as a percentage. True story.

Quick Reply: 1998 Cabriolet 52K miles 1 owner - what's it worth