993 Forum 1995-1998

1998 Cabriolet 52K miles 1 owner - what's it worth

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 PM
Bumba2000
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 Cabriolet 52K miles 1 owner - what's it worth

I am thinking about selling my 1998 cab with 52K miles, 1 owner, full service history, silver/black, new tires less than 500 miles ago. Can someone give me guidance on price. I have seen crazy numbers but I would prefer to be realistic.

thanks
Old 10-19-2015, 04:23 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Use eBay, Autotrader, Cars.com etc etc to get an idea of price.

Or, put it on eBay, set the reserve super high, and see the price the auction ends at. Do this a few times and you'll get a good idea of market value.

This is an enthusiast site, but no one here knows your car as well as you, especially with no pics or options etc.

Good luck
Old 10-19-2015, 04:49 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

$40-50k depending on a whole host of variables; condition, options, accident/paint, mods, color, etc. Cabs sell for a slight discount (5-10%) to coupes...so when you do your research on all 993's, keep that in mind. By the way, "thinking of selling" threads are frowned upon here...and you need to be a paid member to post a for sale ad; membership runs about $18/yr.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:17 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 293 Posts

^^ Except this guy Goofball ^^ maybe take your own advice and buy a membership.....
Old 10-19-2015, 05:59 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
$40-50k depending on a whole host of variables; condition, options, accident/paint, mods, color, etc. Cabs sell for a slight discount (5-10%) to coupes...so when you do your research on all 993's, keep that in mind. By the way, "thinking of selling" threads are frowned upon here...and you need to be a paid member to post a for sale ad; membership runs about $18/yr.
This may or may not apply here at RennList, a little itty bitty segment of the Porsche enthusiast population. There's entire world of Porsche enthusiasts out there, beyond RennList, like you, who's posting for the 1st time, willing to pay more for a Cab or equal to a Coupe. And actually documented in magazines like Excellence and Sports Car Market.

And of course, there are regional preferences like here in CA or FL, where convertibles have a much higher demand.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:07 PM
Bumba2000
6th Gear

thanks for the info. i have been a pca member for 25 years and cannot get over how prices have skyrocketed. Remember when you could not give away a 1974 - 1977 911, or SCs trading in the low teens. i sold my 89 turbo for $25 a handful of years ago - boy what a mistake.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:34 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
maybe take your own advice
The OP asked for pricing guidance...and I gave it to him. If you disagree with my numbers feel free to chime in. If you actually comprehended what I said, I gave the OP no "advice" but rather informed him of the RL rules. If I were to actually sell something here (which I'm not), I would happily renew my membership
Old 10-20-2015, 08:25 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, a non-member giving correct advice on selling the car on RL (ironic) and incorrect advice on what the OP's car is worth because its a cab (silly)...nice one!
Old 10-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Cab owners are sensitive.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:59 AM
Mark Knop
Banned

Originally Posted by Todynot
Yes, yes we are, so stop trying to touch us in our no no spot because we're sexy.

To the OP, you location can have a factor on the selling price also. Here in LALA land a cab will sell for higher than say Minnesota.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:26 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 293 Posts

The OP asked for pricing guidance...and I gave it to him. If you disagree with my numbers feel free to chime in. If you actually comprehended what I said, I gave the OP no "advice" but rather informed him of the RL rules. If I were to actually sell something here (which I'm not), I would happily renew my membership
Membership is not just for people trying to sell something. I have received TONS of awesome advice and helpful tips as well as connected with some really cool Porsche people via this membership. If you're a Porsche owner or just an enthusiast it's worth the 17 dollar price of admission.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:47 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
Not really. It's a bit like when people post in a member's for sale ad that the seller's price is too low, just right or too high. They have no idea. Just making stuff up. More amateur "statistical analysis."

There's no factual sales data analysis that proves that one model of NB is more orless than the other here on RL. "Cabs sell for 5-10% less" is just a wive's tale being passed about here that will probably get repeated again. RL is just a drop in the bucket of Porsche enthusiasts around the world.

Excellence mag actually has the Cab at a equal or slightly higher market value as does Keith Martin's Sport Car Market magazine annual auction data collection mag.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:10 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by RodKnock
Not really. It's a bit like when people post in a member's for sale ad that the seller's price is too low, just right or too high. They have no idea. Just making stuff up. More amateur "statistical analysis."

There's no factual sales data analysis that proves that one model of NB is more orless than the other here on RL. "Cabs sell for 5-10% less" is just a wive's tale being passed about here that will probably get repeated again. RL is just a drop in the bucket of Porsche enthusiasts around the world.

Excellence mag actually has the Cab at a equal or slightly higher market value as does Keith Martin's Sport Car Market magazine annual auction data collection mag.

Yes, there's no factual sales data analysis that proves that one model of NB is more or less than the other here on RL. That's true. Not here on RL. But there are many sources that have over the years, which is probably why people often cite that 993 cabs go for less than coupes. You realize you have a dog in the hunt since you own a cab. Maybe your bias clouds your objectivity? If so, I won't start on what polarizing colors, like yellow, do to value. Just kidding!

Yes, you may be correct that Excellence mag actually has the Cab at a equal or slightly higher market value as does Keith Martin's Sport Car Market magazine annual auction data collection mag. But KBB often has these cars with 20K miles trading in the $30-$40K range, and for years, everyone knew pricing on the PCA mags, especially when Bruce Anderson priced things, was wildly inaccurate.

While it's true that no one person is right, I'm pretty sure there is some legitimate reason so many folks cite that coupes tend to sell for higher prices.

You don't think there's some sort of vast conspiracy afoot to irritate cab owners. Or do you?

Finally, if someone sees Car X listed for Y, then they see another exact same Car X listed for Y + $100K, they can say with great certainty that one is highly over-priced. That's not making stuff up, that's math
Old 10-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Old 10-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
^^ Except this guy Goofball ^^ maybe take your own advice and buy a membership.....

Quick Reply: 1998 Cabriolet 52K miles 1 owner - what's it worth