Sponsored by:

Michelin MXX3 or Pilot Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 09:52 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

BobbyB

I have Bridgestone 18" S02's on my car that are coming to the end of their life. My choice for a replacement is the Michelin Pilot Sport's.

Could you elaborate a little on the comparisons between S02's and Pilot's?
The Bridgestone's were my first tire on this car, so that's all I know.

I am particularly interested in your impressions of the road noise difference. The S02's I always though were noisy, but, again, no basis of comparison.

By the way, have flown into Frederick many times (AOPA's HQ). Great airport and lovely town.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:50 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike,

My S02's had about a 6k miles on them. They were very noisy at speeds less than 45 mph. So much that when I braked, between the noisy and the way the car felt I thought I need pads and rotors. I switched to the Pilots Sports N1 (rib) and they are very very quite as compared. Even when stopping, it's a totally different feel to the car.

In all fairness to the S02's, once the car was up to speed, the tires didn't seem to be any louder than any other tire or maybe there was so much other background noise I could no longer hear the tires.

I would recommend the PS N1 or N2 as they are quite, (not as quite as a touring tire) They have a progressive feel with excellent handling. The PS N1/N2's are an improvement over the N0's (V or W type tread pattern)
A little pricey but I'm totally satisfied and I think you will be pleased with them. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:12 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

BobbyB,

Thanks a million. I agree re the low speed noise on the S02's. They are only a year old and at low speeds the noise is annoying.

Appreciate the timely and detailed response.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

BobbyB, I found the pictures at tirerack, thanks.

And notably, the Pilot Sport Rib is the spitting image of my MXX3's. Regular Pilot Sports have the agrressive looking V-pattern.

Tirerack also writes the V-pattern of the non-rib Pilt Sports is for wet traction, i.e. irrelevant. I'll stick with the plan and go for the 225/265 whatever they call it. I'll visit the Michelin shop next week armed with all I need in information, Thanks again!

Enjoy

Nol
Old 09-25-2003, 09:51 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anytime Nol By the way, the V pattern has been discontinued but dealers are still selling the stock they have on hand. I don't know about the better grip in the wet. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:10 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a chat with a Michelin Man at Goodwood Festival of Speed about the new pattern Pilot Sport - they are claiming improvements of 2 sec per lap on one circuit over the old pattern ..... in the wet! It is almost the same pattern as the PS Cup, and shares some of the technology (Kevlar belts under the tread to keep the tread flat).

HTH, cheers, Maurice

Quick Reply: Michelin MXX3 or Pilot Sport