alignment & corner balance values after Pss9 install

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 06:57 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default alignment & corner balance values after Pss9 install

I finally got my alignment and corner balance done. Here are the values. I was a little worried after I gave the tech the values from the Porsche manuals and he said he didn't understand the 10' in -1º 10'. Anyways, I think he knew what he was doing.

And here are the cornerbalance values.

My ride heights (I live in SF) are:

FL=25 7/16 FR=25.5
RL=25.5 RR=25.5

I was told I needed to lower the collar about 3 turns on the right rear shock for the car to be balanced correctly with the front left.

I hope posting these values help folks out there. Anyone have any comments as well, does everything check out?

-nelson
Old 09-22-2003, 07:10 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks pretty good Nelson... You cross corner weights are within 4 lbs which is GREAT. We can fix the collar issue you are referring to, which is the sway bar I assume (I told you about getting the adjustable mounts didn't I). Anyway, I may have a better solution that will take minutes to do, it'll be cheaper and easier for future adjustments.

How does the car feel??????
Old 09-22-2003, 07:17 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sweet Bob!

The car feels a bit bouncey at the moment. I'm going to recheck my pss9 settings and experiment. What a nice day for a drive.

-nelson
Old 09-22-2003, 07:53 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

We can stiffen it a little. I set the shocks a little to the loose side (I think 7 in front, and 6 in back)....
Old 09-22-2003, 09:11 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just tried adjusting the rear right shock, the dial on the pss9 keeps turning and turning. I have a bad feeling, it's not supposed to do that. I just counted 12 full turns in a clockwise direction as a starting point, it keeps turning. So I decided to turn it back where I started. But I don't know what it really is set on now. No obvious clicks or lines to go by.

-nelson
Old 09-23-2003, 01:51 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Nelson:

Bummer about the PSS-9 adjustment ****. You know, you are not the first. Probably does not make you feel any better...

Although your balance numbers look great, I could not help but notice your ride height numbers. Did you check your ride heights using the factory method in addition to the "fender lip" numbers you posted ?

You might want to confirm the why's and how's of setting ride height/rake on our beasties. I know there have beem some good past posts on this topic. Try a search on the fourm for Kim's (Silver Bullett) ride height posts. I know he posted some good pictures on the factory measurement points.

Given the nature of the 993 unibody construction to the subframes, 3 turns on the spring collar to achieve weight balance is not a surprise if you started off fender lip numbers. After the three turns on the rear spring collar, I would be a little worried about how the front to rear rake was affected. Most folks who discussed this all a while back were suggesting 10mm down in front, measured off the factory points with factory tare requirements as a good starting point for rake.

Also, how did the Kraus folks measure and set your kinematic toe? I was under the impression that they did not have the factory (or Clone) kinemetic toe tool... If they have it and use it, it would be a great thing to post.

Hope this info / inquiry helps get you dialed in faster !

Regards
Old 09-23-2003, 02:14 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Jim,

His ride height was set for SF city driving. The three turns he is referring to is for the sway bar on the collars. His frame is square and equal on the second knub on the rear subframe.

There are actually some limitations to the Kinematic toe measurements if you used the factory tools. They are simple alignment tools, and do not really follow the toe through travel as you would be lead to believe. There are some better ways.

Nelson. Somehow the ***** loosen up (these were tightened). I don't know why the Kraus folks didn't tighten them. It is a long drive, but if you want to stop by we could probabaly tighten them, or wait until I get the rod ends possibly the following weekend....

Let me know. Glad you like the ride and the handling...

Bob
Old 09-23-2003, 01:00 PM
nman413
Drifting

I am sooooo jealous.. )
Old 09-23-2003, 01:20 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We checked those pesky ***** before we installed the shocks based on the recommendation that I got before my install (and one of mine was loose). Sorry to hear it loosened up (what a PITA).

Autocross on Saturday at Candlestick is the perfect time to test out the new suspension ...
Old 09-23-2003, 02:11 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arrow

Jim,

I was aware of the ride height/rake requirement and was hoping Kraus would be able to make the necessary adjustments. I had the impression that I only told them what I needed was an alignment and corner balance and that's all they were going to do for me at the moment. It also seems like the majority deal with fender lip numbers rather than ground to axle bolt measurements. I know the latter is more accurate. I don't believe Kraus used any special Porsche tools for measuring the kinematic toe. To be honest, I watched but not closely enough to follow every detail. I figured I needed to bring the drop link mount a few turns down so I could try to make the other fine adjustments then as well.

Bob,

I'll just wait until you get your rod ends and we'll kill two birds with one stone. Good news about the ride height at least, no scrapes so far going up all my usual driveways. Took the car out for a little spin last night. Reset the shocks for 6 all around and feels great on the freeway. No more feeling of floating like a Cadilliac, but a more solid stick to the road feeling. And when going over the bumps, it's not harsh anymore, but much smoother. Of course when I got back on the streets of SF, it was a jarring ride. Today, I'm going to try it out on some twisties.

-nelson
Old 09-23-2003, 02:17 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Nelson:

Enjoy the twisites !

I think you will like the results from your PSS-9 "investment".

See you at the next BAR drive.

Regards
Old 09-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

So what do you do to tighten up the control *****? Just keep turning them?
Old 09-23-2003, 02:55 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff,

I totally forgot about tightening them. You need a tiny little allen key wrench to tighten the *****, unfortunately I don't have one that small.

-nels
Old 09-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nelson, you need to continue to slide down the slippery slope by now buying the tools you need to support your car. Now you need the set of metric hex wrenches from Sears ...

If you are going to the autox, let me know and I'll bring my set of hex keys.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:49 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom,

I already have been sliding down the slippery slope. The tools will come when I actually have my own garage not one where I have to share with 9 other people who live in my building. Thanks, but can't make it to the autocross.

-nelson

Quick Reply: alignment & corner balance values after Pss9 install